Shark Bite Connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shark Bite Connection

Valid points Rick and I would agree with most of them. We still have 5 cities in this state that require Cast and we dont have a union.
    sigpic

Comment

There are a lot of things that get an approval that should not. Like waterless urinals. The Mayor of Chicago and his staff wanted waterless urinals to be approved in Illinois. So the State inspectors let them install them on two floors for a test. After 6 months the state failed them so they where not approved to be installed in the state of Illinois. The city left the ones they had installed in till recently. The raw urine flowing through pipes that where perfectly fine with standard urinals rotted out. So the city had to get guys to open the walls repipe all the drains and install normal flush urinals.

Studier vents is another item that should never gotten an approval. Yes they allow a drainage system to take in air during a negative pressure, but they do not help in positive pressure situations. And do not give me as long as you have one vent to the roof it will work fine. Studier knows there is a problem with positive pressure thats why they make a air chamber type device to assist with the positive pressure. The big issue here is they are mechanical and will fail.

I can go on and on about the items that have gotten an approval that should not have, even ones that got an approval and later lost it due to the plumbing codes failing them in time.

As for shark bites, I said I will use them in a temporary situation. Know what I did in the past before a shark bite? I used a compression union, then came back later and removed it and made a proper repair. Compression unions are approved by the plumbing codes as long as they are not hidden behind a finished wall, but I do not trust them just like I do not trust a shark bite.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        Valid points Rick and I would agree with most of them. We still have 5 cities in this state that require Cast and we dont have a union.
        UA local 131 sorry look it up United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipefitting Industry Local 131. 161 Londonderry Turnpike
        Hooksett , New Hampshire 03106 and yes there in moose country . I was born and rased in NH moved to IL payed $20,000 in 1995-1996 to learn to work on cars now i'm a union plumber .http://www.ualu131.org/
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          There are a lot of things that get an approval that should not. Like waterless urinals. The Mayor of Chicago and his staff wanted waterless urinals to be approved in Illinois. So the State inspectors let them install them on two floors for a test. After 6 months the state failed them so they where not approved to be installed in the state of Illinois. The city left the ones they had installed in till recently. The raw urine flowing through pipes that where perfectly fine with standard urinals rotted out. So the city had to get guys to open the walls repipe all the drains and install normal flush urinals.

Studier vents is another item that should never gotten an approval. Yes they allow a drainage system to take in air during a negative pressure, but they do not help in positive pressure situations. And do not give me as long as you have one vent to the roof it will work fine. Studier knows there is a problem with positive pressure thats why they make a air chamber type device to assist with the positive pressure. The big issue here is they are mechanical and will fail.

I can go on and on about the items that have gotten an approval that should not have, even ones that got an approval and later lost it due to the plumbing codes failing them in time.

As for shark bites, I said I will use them in a temporary situation. Know what I did in the past before a shark bite? I used a compression union, then came back later and removed it and made a proper repair. Compression unions are approved by the plumbing codes as long as they are not hidden behind a finished wall, but I do not trust them just like I do not trust a shark bite.
          and yes I know what you are saiying about positive presure in the vents . These 50 storie high rises are knowen for that in chicago
          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I probably should have been more clear. NH does have a union but the union though it is pretty ineffective and has been loosing members for the past 30 years. had nothing to do with those cities code requirements.
            sigpic

Comment

There all kinds of ways and fittings to make repairs. You'll either do the best job you can with the best proven materials or you won't.

J.C.

Comment

I probably should have been more clear. NH does have a union but the union though it is pretty ineffective and has been loosing members for the past 30 years. had nothing to do with those cities code requirements.
                you guys want to talk about shark bit fittings and you say the union scerews things up this is staight out of the NHPMC { Zero Tolerance" Policy Now in Effect
                All licensed plumbers should be aware that the Plumbing Board has decided that all code violations (no matter how minor) should now be reported to the plumbing board and become a part of your permanent record. That's right. Chairman Tedd Evans has gone on record as stating that "licensed plumbers should never have code violations" and that when they do, he wants to know about it. In spite of the fact that some of the other board members and a few of the state inspectors initially spoke up in apparent disagreement, the board agreed at the January 2008 meeting, that if a state inspector discovers only 1 or 2 code violations, he or she will write up a warning, give a copy to the licensed plumber, bring a copy back to the office (for your file) and report the violations to the board. Three or more violations (no matter how minor, whether simple oversight, misunderstanding, easily or quickly corrected) will be cause for discipline. And you're the good guys. }
                Thats what scares me .Hay so be carefull what you do and where you do it remember your plumbers license can be revoked weather you like it or it makes life easy as long as its code thats the bigest ?????? http://www.nhpmc.com/plumberslicensing.html
                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

so they weren't smart enough to ruff in water for the future like we were

studor vents are not legal out here. at least not in los angeles.

so ron, everyone of you angle stops you install are ips or solder

i won't even guess how many angle stops i've installed that are compression, 100,000+ and i've yet to have 1 blow off or leak down the road. all angle stops fail over time from hard water, lack of use. but not from the fact that they were compression stops. how about your risers? are they also non compression connections from the stop to the fixtures

rick.
                  Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-21-2010, 10:30 AM.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

please clarify?

we can's use plastic above 2 stories.

but cast to us is no hub.

so are the 5 cities require cast/ lead and oakum?

what's the mentality of that?

is it to keep plumbers employed? or do they feel that a lead joint is better than a no hub band? or is it to prevent the average handyman/ contractor from doing repairs?

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I have been in a few homes with flooding due to the angle stops blowing off. One was a vacant home filled the basement up to the rafters. When I do replacement angle stops I do use soldered stops or IPS.

As for the waterless urinals they where installed where there was normal urinals, so the water was still ruffed in. They had to open the walls to replace all the drain pipes that rotted out.
                      Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      so they weren't smart enough to ruff in water for the future like we were

studor vents are not legal out here. at least not in los angeles.

so ron, everyone of you angle stops you install are ips or solder

i won't even guess how many angle stops i've installed that are compression, 100,000+ and i've yet to have 1 blow off or leak down the road. all angle stops fail over time from hard water, lack of use. but not from the fact that they were compression stops. how about your risers? are they also non compression connections from the stop to the fixtures

rick.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

The only reason plastic DWV is limited in it's use is for commercial applications where there may be caustic chemicals and where it relates to fire safety. If all we are doing is conveying waste you cannot beat plastic. That is not always a popular opinion as it hurts the true tradesmen but it is the truth.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have been in a few homes with flooding due to the angle stops blowing off. One was a vacant home filled the basement up to the rafters. When I do replacement angle stops I do use soldered stops or IPS.

As for the waterless urinals they where installed where there was normal urinals, so the water was still ruffed in. They had to open the walls to replace all the drain pipes that rotted out.
                          if next time you go into the city in a high rise try and look at the duplex or triplex booster system the presue that 3/8 comp. fitings can hold blew me away when instald correctly . Like a vertical column pump that will put out 300 psi . And those 3/8" comp. fitting hold and never blow off .And also there on every PRV to reduce the water presure . I to have seen angle stops blow off but usualy due to installer biggest mistake I have seen is trimmers put pipe dope on comp. ring then put angle stop on . They might as well spray WD 40 on pipe and watch stop blow off
                          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            The only reason plastic DWV is limited in it's use is for commercial applications where there may be caustic chemicals and where it relates to fire safety. If all we are doing is conveying waste you cannot beat plastic. That is not always a popular opinion as it hurts the true tradesmen but it is the truth.

Mark

Mark, We plumbed a million dollar summer home on governors island last year with all no hub because the architect and the owner insisted on it for noise reasons.

High rise applications, expansion as well as hydraulic shock can be an issue at the base of a stack
                            sigpic

Comment

Mark, We plumbed a million dollar summer home on governors island last year with all no hub because the architect and the owner insisted on it for noise reasons.

High rise applications, expansion as well as hydraulic shock can be an issue at the base of a stack
                              With all do respect, I believe this is incorrect in relation to terminal velocity.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                                With all do respect, I believe this is incorrect in relation to terminal velocity.

J.C.

Kinda funny how the OP just asked:

Originally posted by thiggy View Post
                                Can a Shark Bite fitting be used over an unsoldered copper tube? i.e. can I rely on it to seal well?
                                Little bit of a thread drift people?

Anyone actually answer the question yet, or did we just argue ?

Comment

Working...
                                X