X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark Bite Connection

Can a Shark Bite fitting be used over an unsoldered copper tube? i.e. can I rely on it to seal well?

Re: Shark Bite Connection

That depends on your definition of rely

Comment

Originally posted by thiggy View Post
      Can a Shark Bite fitting be used over an unsoldered copper tube? i.e. can I rely on it to seal well?
      yes as long as the tubing is clean and not scared or dirty. also the tube should not be subject to movement/ rotation.

i've installed a a couple dozen with no failures in the last few years.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        yes as long as the tubing is clean and not scared or dirty.
        And if the tubing isn't "scared", then you should be.

Hackity-hack, hack-hack.

Comment

I use them for water heaters installs . They seem good. Don't use on soft copper or in a wall or under ground just like propress they have there purpose but sweating is better then both.
          You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

If sweating is better then why use them on WH installs?
            Whether it's in the wall or not, if it's anywhere inside a leak
            will be damaging.
            Our rates are based in part on our costs of doing business.
            Having and maintaining a license is part of that.
            I have a hard time justifying charging professional prices
            for something the HO could do himself.

Comment

jim, tell me how a shark bite differs from the millions and millions of john guess fittings used in water filters and process piping everywhere in the country and around the world.

please tell me when the last time you used a flaring tool? or a lock ridge tool? heck, i think 90% of the guys here have no idea what a lock ridge tool is used for, no less what 1 is

it's called progress and weather you like it or not, progress is going to leave you behind.

there is not 1 plumber soldering that can compete with me propressing installing copper on a wet installation. while everyone is waiting for the water to drain down, i'm long gone and off to the next job.

how about the sprinkler and hvac fitters that use victaulic fittings instead of screw pipe. are they also hacks
              are we hacks when we use no hub instead of lead and oakum

california has been both the first and last to set standards. partly due to environmental issues and partially due to union pressure. if it was up to the union, we would still be hand threading hanger rod instead of cutting all thread rod. that's a fact.

if you really think soldering is a better process, you need to get out of the usa and see what the rest of the world is using.

do you really think cast iron or no hub is better than plastic? how about steel gas underground pipe. hdpe is far superior than any metallic pipe. same with waste piping.

technology is a good thing when it's a proven product.

sure it doesn't take years of skill to assemble a shark bite. but it takes years of experience to design and lay out a system properly.

just because the public thinks they can do it, we all wouldn't be here if they could. remember there's over the counter medicine and then there's prescription only medicine

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

jim, tell me how a shark bite differs from the millions and millions of john guess fittings used in water filters and process piping everywhere in the country and around the world.

please tell me when the last time you used a flaring tool? or a lock ridge tool? heck, i think 90% of the guys here have no idea what a lock ridge tool is used for, no less what 1 is

it's called progress and weather you like it or not, progress is going to leave you behind.

there is not 1 plumber soldering that can compete with me propressing installing copper on a wet installation. while everyone is waiting for the water to drain down, i'm long gone and off to the next job.

how about the sprinkler and hvac fitters that use victaulic fittings instead of screw pipe. are they also hacks

california has been both the first and last to set standards. partly due to environmental issues and partially due to union pressure. if it was up to the union, we would still be hand threading hanger rod instead of cutting all thread rod. that's a fact.

if you really think soldering is a better process, you need to get out of the usa and see what the rest of the world is using.

do you really think cast iron or no hub is better than plastic? how about steel gas underground pipe. hdpe is far superior than any metallic pipe. same with waste piping.

sure it doesn't take years of skill to assemble a shark bite. but it takes years of experience to design and lay out a system properly.

just because the public thinks they can do it, we all wouldn't be here if they could. remember there's over the counter medicine and then there's prescription only medicine

rick.
                While I can agree that some progress is better, not all is better.

Polybutylene WAS progress for instance. And I've seen some of the things being used in Europe that seem like garbage. Time will tell.

I myself have removed a Sharkbite fitting off of a line that had no lateral movement, the pipe was clean, and the seals had no damage that had been in for over a month (as I recall) and was spraying strong. Not dripping....spraying.

I even put the picture on here. I've since deleted bunches of pics so you probably will not be able to find it.

On the other end of things, I believe PVC to be superior to CI in performance. Yes, obviously there will be situations that CI should be the chosen product.

My reservation is that I am the plumber. It's my job to do the best, long term, proven repair and I haven't seen any evidence that a Sharkbite type fitting beats solder.

If you want to use them, by all means do what you want. But you are not doing the best for your customer and you should discount your rate.

By the way, I just came out from a 40'x16" crawl and made a repair on a copper pin hole with having to WAIT some for the water to stop so that I could solder it.

And I bet I won't be repairing it in a month.

J.C.

Comment

j.c once again, there is always going to be a failure rate with any product. no way to tell if the o-ring got nicked or the copper was dirty. the retail packaging is better as the fittings are sealed in a plastic bag. unlike the supply house that's bulk and subject to dirt either there on in the truck waiting for an install.

i know out of the couple dozen live lines, i've installed dating back a few years, none have leaked. i also know out of the hundreds of propress fittings i've installed, only 1 leaked and that was on a pin hole recirc line that the copper was shot. it leaked the second i turned it on.

the fact that i'm one of only a few plumbers at the supply house that owns a propress is a bonus. i get jobs that others can't compete or do. the supply house recommends me to companies that don't own the tool. in fact 1 of the supply houses asked me to recommend the fittings they should stock.

i use sharkbite 3/4'' mip adapters on every water heater relief valve. it allows for a removable connection when i need to replace the valve or heater. i use to use a 3/4'' comp. fitting, but those are hard to find now. i also use 1/2'' caps on my stubs now as they're removable and i can use copper scraps. bullets are not always the right length. plus the cost of bullet stubs are much more expensive than a 1/2'' cap that's reusable.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

rick.
                    Well said RICK!

I agree, when I first started we used brass sweat nose cones(who remembers those?) and roll copper to connect faucets, NOW the plumbing industry as a whole uses one piece speedy's or braided lines.

How many "copper is better" guys want to go back to sweating on nose cones - LOL

So add the deletion of brass nose cones to your technology list because those are another perfect example of how things change ;-)

But the above is well said., Many guys are set in their ways are scared of the future
                    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

j.c once again, there is always going to be a failure rate with any product. no way to tell if the o-ring got nicked or the copper was dirty. the retail packaging is better as the fittings are sealed in a plastic bag. unlike the supply house that's bulk and subject to dirt either there on in the truck waiting for an install.

i know out of the couple dozen live lines, i've installed dating back a few years, none have leaked. i also know out of the hundreds of propress fittings i've installed, only 1 leaked and that was on a pin hole recirc line that the copper was shot. it leaked the second i turned it on.

the fact that i'm one of only a few plumbers at the supply house that owns a propress is a bonus. i get jobs that others can't compete or do. the supply house recommends me to companies that don't own the tool. in fact 1 of the supply houses asked me to recommend the fittings they should stock.

i use sharkbite 3/4'' mip adapters on every water heater relief valve. it allows for a removable connection when i need to replace the valve or heater. i use to use a 3/4'' comp. fitting, but those are hard to find now. i also use 1/2'' caps on my stubs now as they're removable and i can use copper scraps. bullets are not always the right length. plus the cost of bullet stubs are much more expensive than a 1/2'' cap that's reusable.

rick.
                      Different areas need different things. I have a press tool. (Smaller diameter pipe), the supply houses know, and I will NEVER get a recommendation because of it.

I'm kind of on-board with the relief valve bitey bite. Typically a no pressure situation and quicker change. Doubt anyones going to see a problem there.

I don't trust them on stubs. Too much going on. What the heck are YOU roughing in???

J.C.

Comment

As a professional plumber you have an obligation to your customer, who has placed a tremendous amount of trust in you, to install the most reliable repair possible. Given the slight inconvenience of waiting for a system to drain versus installing propress or sharkbite fittings, I will wait. Because it is not about how fast I can get done or how many jobs I can do in one day. Rather it is about my reputation and quality of workmanship.
                        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

since you guys don't own a propress and never will. i own 7 of them and still looking for more.

lets see, they pulled the flux we use years ago as it was too corrosive. the solder as it contained lead. and the fittings are about as junky as you can buy. sure is simple as a 90 has no real take off. just basically fitting to fitting. why don't you guys by the long sweep 90's

viega/ propress fittings are more than 2 times thicker and a sweep you could push a camera around.

do you not realize that victaulic connections rely on a rubber doughnut. why not just go back to all screw pipe

sharkbite uses an o-ring and a series of stainless grippers. the harder you pull. the harder it bites in. try pulling one off.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            I don't trust them on stubs. Too much going on. What the heck are YOU roughing in???

J.C.
                            if you only knew how much new construction i did for 15 years. it would make your heads spin. 6'' was our normal water service. i worked everything from apartments, condos, hotels, office buildings and schools, universities,laboratories, airports. even government buildings that required a background check i passed

today i still do minor remodels as favors. the majority of my work is service and repair. including a large percentage for other plumbers and contractors.

considering 34 years in the trade and no law suits, either i've been lucky, or i might know what i'm doing before i'm sold on a new product, i do the research and testing for myself. plenty of new products don't pass the sniff test

so for those on the fence, i have the most to loose. and so far i'm still winning

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

if you only knew how much new construction i did for 15 years. it would make your heads spin. 6'' was our normal water service. i worked everything from apartments, condos, hotels, office buildings and schools, universities,laboratories, airports. even government buildings that required a background check i passed

today i still do minor remodels as favors. the majority of my work is service and repair. including a large percentage for other plumbers and contractors.

considering 34 years in the trade and no law suits, either i've been lucky, or i might know what i'm doing before i'm sold on a new product, i do the research and testing for myself. plenty of new products don't pass the sniff test

so for those on the fence, i have the most to loose. and so far i'm still winning

rick.
                              Well I've dug ditches, danced with models and movie stars, play guitar, shoot a mean BB gun, scored a basket in a basketball game & all kinds of other good winning stuff.

But Sharkbite still doesn't beat Solder.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X