X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterflow Question

I just bought a house last summer and one of the first things i noticed was the cold water in the kitchen sink . Whenever you turn it on the water flow is really low .The hot water is the opposite , it has lots of pressure .

I took a look under the sink and the main pipes coming up are 3/4" . The cold has been reduced to 1/4" flex hose right under the sink .
    I checked the main taps in the basement and they are wide open .

Is there a easy fix ? The pressure just seems to be getting lower every week only on the cold .
    John from Belgrave ont.

www.extremebirdhouse.com

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...d=112698715866

Re: Waterflow Question

Sounds like you have restriction on the cold line after the water heater connection.

I know....duhhhhh.

Sounds galvanizey. Pics would help.

J.C.

Comment

Here is a pic !

The cold water is almost at a trickle . It takes about 15 seconds to fill a glass .
      Attached Files
      John from Belgrave ont.

www.extremebirdhouse.com

Comment

And it IS galvanizey. Although I can't see the cold line branch. Just the PEX riser, the "little" white pipe.

But don't be fooled, the smaller white pipe should supply a cold tap just fine.

If you have slower cold throughout the house then you probably have buildup in the cold galvanized lines. Think of clogged arteries on a person that has unfortunate genetics or doesn't eat right.

Slowly closing, flow decreasing.

This can be bad because if it's happening throughout, you need to replace all of the pipes.

If you or a plumber can isolate the restriction to a section or fittings, then you may be able to remove this area and gain volume/pressure for awhile.

J.C.

Comment

Here's just a quick pic I found for an example.

Your's may NOT be this bad but a person kind of has to put their hands on it and take some things apart to tell.

J.C.
          Attached Files

Comment

I had a feeling it was probably something like that . The water pressure upstairs is better but i,m sure it could flow twice as much as it is now .

I guess i,ll rip out the old stuff and put in 1/2" copper .
            The shower pressure seems to be ok .
            Attached Files
            John from Belgrave ont.

www.extremebirdhouse.com

Comment

Sometimes you can find restrictions & debris at endpoints. Shut the water off, take the little chrome valve off and check there.

Maybe have a person turn the water back on while you man the open pipe with a bucket. That can show you the real flow in the larger branch and possibly flush the pipe where you can put the valve back on and things work for a while longer.

This is the BEST case scenario. May not happen. Kind of work backwards. You'll get to the point while working on it where you'll kind of figure out that taking much more of it apart is more of a waste than repiping.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks J.C , I bought the house last May and the water flow is gradually getting slower . It has to be building up . I thought maybe it was just ice building up during the winter but that was not it . It shouldn,t be hard to replace them .
                I,ll check the 1/4" flex hose first .

Thanks again for your help .
                John from Belgrave ont.

www.extremebirdhouse.com

Comment

This might be an obvious Q but have you checked the aerator in the faucet spout? They can quickly fill up with crud such as scale.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

you have a shut off right there take it lose and see if there is flow there first. if you have flow there , then the faucet needs to be inspected, if you do not have flow at the shut off, then see if it is plugged up like said work back wards, it may be some thing really simple, and easy if you look for it, and then it could need a re piped.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      This might be an obvious Q but have you checked the aerator in the faucet spout? They can quickly fill up with crud such as scale.
                      I thought it might be the spout too but when i turn the hot on it pours out no problem .
                      I will pull the flex hose off first then check the flow .
                      John from Belgrave ont.

www.extremebirdhouse.com

Comment

Working...
                      X