Sump Pump Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump Pump Issue

Hello, I am new to this forum. Today I came home from work to find my Sump Pump continuously running. Luckily my property has seemed to dry up a bit and the water draining into the sump has slowed almost to a stop. Since it kicks out a good bit of volume when it runs I am confident it hadn't been running continuously for a while. I checked the float and it is not stuck or jammed. Could it be something internal with a switch? The pump is a Zoeller Pump and is probably about 7 years old. Like I said, it works, it just will not shut off, even if I manually push the float AND arm down. I have a battery back-up but I would still like to get this taken care of asap. My knowledge is limited (obviously if you look at my post count) so any advice would be appreciated by this "noob".

Re: Sump Pump Issue

if its a zoeller the switch is more than likely the problem.

Comment

most likely it's a m57, most popular one.

a complete new pump is around $150. unless you buy wholesale.

the switch is an easy fix if you buy the factory switch. a 3/8'' nut driver and a screwdriver is all that's needed.

i would buy a new pump and install it. take the old one apart and fix it. good practice

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Is Zoeller a good brand? Is that what I should go with again? This one gave me 7 years, is that pretty standard? It gets run pretty hard in the spring here in michigan when all of the snow is melting. What type of switch do you recommend. Sorry for all of the questions but you guys know a hell of a lot more than any webpage on the internet I have run across.

Comment

zoeller's are fine, some don't like them, I like them fine.

I'd advise the oem switch if you are interested in taking it apart an installing it, if that'd be a fun project and you are not in a huge hurry, or if you are so strapped for cash that the price of a whole new pump hurts.

But at 7 years, and with the fairly low price of a new pump, and with the beating it's taken by running dry as long as it has, I'd have to say just get a new pump. easiest from an installation point of view is to get the exact same pump. the old one will have an id plate on it with numbers to tell you what it is.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I agree with the new pump advice. Seven years is about the average life of any appliance these days.
            Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kwags42 View Post
              Is Zoeller a good brand? Is that what I should go with again? This one gave me 7 years, is that pretty standard? It gets run pretty hard in the spring here in michigan when all of the snow is melting. What type of switch do you recommend. Sorry for all of the questions but you guys know a hell of a lot more than any webpage on the internet I have run across.
              7 to 10 years on a zoeller sump pump is good I'm on 12 years with my zoeller pump and that littel guy is still just a pumping
              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
              X