drain tile to sewage system is good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drain tile to sewage system is good?

We bought this house 3 yrs ago and the passing weekend we (MA boston area) had water issue in our "dry" basement. The main part was built in 1950 and there is an addition which is built in 1980, I think. We have a sum pump in the addition plus a basement system over the addtion. so no problem in there. But in the 1950 part, water was coming from edges likes little springs. The floor was not one piece. water cames out from the floor joint as well. The rain was stopped at Monday night but Wednesday morning I still can see water come out from those edges and joints.

I have to do something in case next time it gets wet again. we have floor drain in the 1950 part. Can I add drain tile around the 1950 part and connect it to the floor drain to let water goes to the city sewage system without any pump?

Any recommendation about seal those edges and joints inside?

thanks,

Re: drain tile to sewage system is good?

It's not legal in my area to dump storm drain water to san sewer. Just makes more for the plant to treat and they don't want it. Might be different in yours. Probably you need to cut out part of the floor, make a pit, and install a sump pump. But ask local builders how it's best done in your area.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
      It's not legal in my area to dump storm drain water to san sewer. Just makes more for the plant to treat and they don't want it. Might be different in yours. Probably you need to cut out part of the floor, make a pit, and install a sump pump. But ask local builders how it's best done in your area.
      The plumber installed my gas boiler this winter told me the same thing so he drilled a hole on the ground to let boiler condensation water goes there but later the town inspector asked him install a small pump to put the condensation water into to sewage system. Maybe the condenstaion water is not a big deal to the town sewage system.

Comment

If everyone in your area has drain tile draining into the sewer you will eventually pay for it. Your city's sewer system (piping and treatment) is designed for a certain capacity and once that is reached big dollars start flying around to upgrade it. Your city might not have a treatment plant and may pipe your sewage to another city where it will be metered and your city will be billed by the amount. Your taxes and cost for water will go up because of it.

Unless of course you live in an area that has combined storm and sanitary(your poo) sewers.

Personally I would pipe it out into the yard or storm sewer if possible no matter what. Guess what happens if your main sewer clogs and your drain tile is dumping water into it

Comment

Once again ,this is My Music. Hire a geo. tech. Eng to draw up what must be done. Deep excavation around the footings, foundation waterproofing, filter fabric,perferated pvc pipe, gravel. No body listens! They make feeble DIY attempts , and watch the water return next season!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
          X