Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making my own heater stand: regs for city of LA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making my own heater stand: regs for city of LA?

Hello,

I hope someone here might give me some insight. Damn me if I can't decipher the regs or specs needed for placement/installation of a hot water heater.

I've got an 80 gallon tank, electric. Currently, it's on the floor in a closet.

I've ventilated the closet but what I'm really interested in is whether or not
    I have to "elevate" the heater. That is, I'm welding up a metal stand (angle iron legs and a 1/4" plate for teh heater to rest on. I've also welded angle iron around the plate to "incase" the heater.

Basically, I copied with a few modifications, a heater stand I saw in the grainger.com catalog.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3VU62?Pid=search

Anyway, is there a rule for how many inches the heater needs to sit off the floor?

Thank you for your help!

Vinko

Re: Making my own heater stand: regs for city of LA?

If you water heater is in a garage or similar location, any source of ignition (flame, spark, electrical switch) must be 18" off of the floor.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

only has to be raised if it is a natural gas w/h. Electric doesn't matter since there is no exposed ignition source. In fact new gas water heaters all have sealed burn chambers and technically don't have an exposed ignition source either, but the code still required them to be 18" up.

Comment

I don't believe you even needed to vent the closet with it being an electric water heater.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
        X