Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ever have to pump out a water heater?

My old hot water heater needs to be replaced before the tank fails. The problem is that the drain valve is poor quality plastic and seems to be frozen shut. Rather than to bust it and risk a flood, I'm thinking about a way to pump out most of the water. The T&P valve port is on top. Can I (without much trouble) insert a hose in this port and then pump it out? Would it be better to take my chances and attach a drain hose to the drain valve and pray hard I don't flood the place? Any good ideas?

I asked several plumbing contractors in my area and all think it's totally coo coo to try to pump it out. I think they are just not wanting to try bothering.

Re: Do you ever have to pump out a water heater?

Get the heater to an area that can get a little wet. Hopefully you have a floor drain near your water heater or at least somewhere that you can easily drag the thing to. Then take a sledge hammer and bust the POS plastic valve off and let her rip :-)

Comment

If I'm working in an area where I can't have any water on the floor, I take off the hot water line from the top of the heater. Then I shove a piece of PEX pipe to almost the bottom of the tank, and hook my pump up to that. It gets 90% of the water out. Then the tank will move easily.

Comment

I have a transfer pump for just such an occasion.

it also works for the occasional basement with no floor drain.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

can you just hand truck the thing out side full of water?
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

40 gallon tank would weigh about 350 pounds full. 8.33 pounds per gallon for water. I guess if you are strong enough, you could move it with a dolly.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try going in through both the relife valve port and the hot port. I have a handy drill powered pump that may get most of the water out of it. Then it can be put on a good hand truck and several of us grunt away and get it outside. The idea of taking it to the floor drain and busting the drain valve out is tempting but oh what a mess it will make.

Comment

can it be siphoned out?
                ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by nkyrental View Post
                  40 gallon tank would weigh about 350 pounds full. 8.33 pounds per gallon for water. I guess if you are strong enough, you could move it with a dolly.
                  You forgot the weight of the heater. Haven't replaced many on your own huh?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by nkyrental View Post
                    add another 100 lbs for water heater
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                    X