Which is best tankless water heater?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is best tankless water heater?

I have read the bad and the good...which does make it confusing about purchasing a tankless heater, so what do the experts think?

I am in the middle of a complete remodel of my home...wiring, plumbing etc.

The tank would be located in the basement and in the same place as the old gas water heater.

I have 2 bathrooms.

Suggestions of brands and models would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Re: Which is best tankless water heater?

Only one I like is By Rubbermaid , comes with handles!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If someone can communicate constructively, and from real experience, it would be greatly appreciated.
      If not, please post elsewhere

Rick

Comment

Some that are ok if someone is insistent on a tankless that I've worked with:

Rinnai, Rheem/Paloma

Read good things and similar performance about Takagi and Noritz but do not have experience with them.

One of those 4 in with established distribution in your area should be ok. Make sure it is sized and installed correctly by licensed and certified people.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by rich121 View Post
          If someone can communicate constructively, and from real experience, it would be greatly appreciated.
          If not, please post elsewhere

Rick
          3094 posts , 4 1/2 years NA !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Good luck finding any constructive tankless feedback here......... for the most part it's all negative too.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              3094 posts , 4 1/2 years NA !
              Which from your first post means absolutely nothing...except that you have too much time on your hands

Like I said, posts that are constructive..

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by mtne View Post
                Good luck finding any constructive tankless feedback here......... for the most part it's all negative too.
                So, from what you have read, buying a traditional gas "tank" model is the way to go?

I was asking for suggestions...

I could also go with a Bradford White 40 or 50 gallon gas tank...

Can these be wrapped or partially wrapped?

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by mtne View Post
                  I made a few posts on tankless heaters recently and also got the same impression.

rich121 - I have a tankless and am perfectly happy with it. It is a Takagi TK1 (which was sold as a Bosch 240FX if I recall correctly). Bought and installed it myself although I would rate my skills as above average. I've had it for 7 years.

Tankless vs tank - both have advantages and disadvantages. If you read through some of the posts on here or do some research on the web you should be able to figure out what they are and make an appropriate decision for yourself on what's best for you.

Comment

rick, great name

there is tons of tankless discussions posted on the forum. the large percentage of pros, don't care for tankless. including myself although i have 1 at my house, installed it about 15 months ago for the benefit of the forum

my wife/ joey hates it. i've adjusted to the lack of volume and need to keep a faucet running while the washing machine is filling. honestly unless you need the room in your basement, you're spending a lot of extra money with no return on your investment.

the only praise i have for them is they are ideal for a large tub point of use. trying to properly supply a home with 1 unit is typically not going to happen. 2 units put you into real big money.

replace your tank heater with a new one and splurge on a couple big screen tv's with the money you'll save.

just do a search for tankless and see what we all say and feel. $5.00 a month gas savings for me is never going to pay back on the unit and installation involved to convert to a tankless.

rick
                    phoebe it is

Comment

i think you should Takagi TK1 which is a good brand name and for the pros and cons you can see the other threads in this forum
                      Alabama plumbers

Comment

Originally posted by rich121 View Post
                        Which from your first post means absolutely nothing...except that you have too much time on your hands

Like I said, posts that are constructive..

Rick
                        I am SOO sorry!! they all suck!

Comment

are you going to install and service it yourself? if so get something that is sold locally where you can get parts and service if you need it. a local supply house is you best bet. one that keeps parts. this is a question for you to think about not for my edification. by the way i'm also a sparky. if you want it, get it. you made the money spend it how you want. breid...............

Comment

I like Rinnai units myself, but it may not be the best choice for your situation. You should really have someone that knows tankless water heaters well out to your home to take a look at it. What unit you get is going to depend on how many people in the home, what type of fixtures in the bathrooms, how you can run the venting for it, etc. After considering all that, you may find that a tank type water heater is a better choice.

Comment

I agree with Nevada Plumber. I have had experiences with three different manufactures. Rinnai is at the top of my list to install. They also have the best tech support that I have dealt with. You really should have someone that has experience installing tankless water heaters to come out and have a look at the location of your water heater. Mainly to see if it is the best location. Keep in mind these units can not use the same vent pipe as a standard water heater or power vented tank water heater. So, therefore there are certain standards to go by when venting. You most definately want to make sure you have the proper gas piping inside your house to provide the demand these water heaters require.

Comment

Working...
                              X