Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need water heater help in Los Angeles.

I need to replace my 50 gallon nat gas water heater tomorrow. Looking around it seems like they come with varying warranties - what's the story on those, is it worth paying $100 for an extra 5 years?

What should I look for, and stay away from?

I live in Los Angeles, and do garage make-overs, so have a resale #- any tips on where to find a good price on the heater in the Glendale/hollywood area?

Thanks!

Re: Need water heater help in Los Angeles.

the bigest thing you want to look at is the BTU rateing on the old water heater and match that or go up . the lower the warrenty the less the BTU rating .That is how fast the flame under your tank will recover the water in your waterheater.For a good 50 gall. water heater you should look for no less than 40,000 btu .Thanks and good luck
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

extended warranties are pretty much useless. the standard 6 year warranty is fine. a 10 year will still be the same heater with an additional anode rod.

the warranty doesn't cover labor and now you get a refund on the original purchase price and then pay the new purchase price for the replacement heater. so basically it's an insurance policy with a high deductible.

in the thousands of heaters i've installed. i can only remember less than a handful that were more than the standard 5 or 6 year heater. old school heaters lasted a good 10-20 years. not sure what the new heaters will do, but out here it's a thermocouple/ gas valve failure before the tank failure.

try hirsch pipe and supply if they will sell to you.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I pass Hirsch over by the Paramount studios all the time, Saturday I'll stop in and see if they'll sell to me.

Are Bradford White's an acceptable brand?

Comment

yes. they are.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            yes. they are.

rick.
            I think that may be your shortest post ever!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ooman2 View Post
              Thanks for the tips! I pass Hirsch over by the Paramount studios all the time, Saturday I'll stop in and see if they'll sell to me.

Are Bradford White's an acceptable brand?
              Bradford White's are a very good choice and you will be happy with . sorry I could not help with where to go but if you were in chicago I could help
              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                Funny
                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.

i could go into detail and say they suck, had a leaker and i never got paid for the change out. nothing $0.00 in a difficult to access basment.

so if it leaks, good luck getting paid for labor with a 2 month old heater.

waiting for rheem to pay out on a billing from 2.5 months ago too.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Water heaters are like automobiles everyone has a favorite. I am positive each of us could come up with a horror story about each manufactured water heater. I find Rheem is quick and responds great to any issues we have. All manufacturers take 60-90 days to pay out on warranties. I used to be a service tech for ao smith, rheem ,and morflo.

The question to ask the suppliers; do you stock warranted parts and if not how easy and quickly can the part arrive, who handles that product, the more suppliers that handle that product the better chance of good service to and for that product. Find out who is the service warranty company and if they are local for that unit.

In my city we have three local suppliers that handle rheem, I can get parts at the drop of a hat. We have one Bradford white dealer and they do not handle any parts. I waited well over a week for a gas control to arrive and then there was a mistake between the local supplier and sales rep and I received the wrong control.

The call went like this. I called the local supplier who informed me it would be easier to call Bradford white. I call Bradford white they tell me I need to speak to a sales rep from the sales rep company. I called them they tell me I need to have my local supplier order the part. I call the local supplier who starts complaining about having to do this on a warranted part. The heater is two years old. The client received a bad product. In 2 years the gas company, another plumbing company and now me have had to work on this heater. The part is the wrong part, the local supplier messed up the part number. Now have to wait because the sales rep cannot find a gas control in the state of Florida for this particular Bradford white gas heater. This heater supplies the heat for the home along with the hot water heater. Three hours spent on the phone for the first attempt and two more hours on the second attempt. They tell me for 100 dollars I can have the warranty free part the next day.

Customer chose to pull the heater and replace it with a rheem.This does not mean one heater is better than the next. There are only a small number of manufacturers for water heaters. If I am correct only five left. Ao smith and state are the same, rheem, bradford white, lockinvar and I cannot remember the other one at this time.

Ask someone that has a 7 year old water heater if they would have liked a, 8, 10 year or 12 year warranty on that defective heater. Keep in mind a warranty is only good when you need it.

This does not mean that Bradford white is not a good unit. The issue was primarily a problem with the local supplier however a product is only as good as the supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by rich34232 View Post
                      If I am correct only five left. Ao smith and state are the same, rheem, bradford white, lockinvar and I cannot remember the other one at this time.

Bradford White makes Lochinvar's residential tanks. dunno about their commercial.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

american appliance use to have 95% of all the heaters out here. then they moved out to tennessee and hirsch is my only supplier that carries them.

rheem is the easiest to find out here.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Thank you for the info gents! Picked up a Bradford 50g U45036frn at Hirsch, $470 after a $10 rebate. It seems to be pretty energy efficient, can't complain 'bout that these days, especially with the DWP raising rates in order to pay for all the dead wood employees they're taking in from other city departments to avoid much needed layoffs.

Now to install it...

BTW - Is there a place to recycle the old one, or do I just drag it to the dump?
                          Last edited by ooman2; 03-20-2010, 01:36 PM.

Comment

look for a scrap metal place, most of them will buy them.
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                              look for a scrap metal place, most of them will buy them.
                              Never heard, or thought, about that! Called a couple and found a local one that said they'd fork over a couple of bucks, so I drove over to Westside Metal with the old Rheem and a couple of bags of cans and stuff. Got there and the guy said they'd take the Rheem, but not pay for it. I pointed out that over the phone they said they would, so he ended up forking over $5.20 - got myself a nice Philly cheese steak for lunch!

My jbusiness situation is pretty weak currently, so saving the $500, and even getting the lunch deal, really helped. Thanks for the assistance everyone - I really appreciate it!

If any of you ever want to DIY epoxy coat your shop or garage floor, I'll cut you a good price on top end coating materials.

Comment

Working...
                              X