X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas union question

I have another question. I had to replace my wh. I have a union right after my shut off valve for the line going to the wh. After I put everything back together, I leak checked it w/ windex(this is what a local guy told me to use) I have no bubbles forming, but every so ofter I'll sniff check that union and it will smell like nat. gas for the first sniff and then I can't smell it after that. Could it be that with the 59yr old valve right there that maybe I'm smelling it? Any suggestions?

Re: Gas union question

i'm not sure if windex will even bubble. doesn't seem like it would. either get a small bottle of leak detector, or use soap.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Dierte View Post
      I have another question. I had to replace my wh. I have a union right after my shut off valve for the line going to the wh. After I put everything back together, I leak checked it w/ windex(this is what a local guy told me to use) I have no bubbles forming, but every so ofter I'll sniff check that union and it will smell like nat. gas for the first sniff and then I can't smell it after that. Could it be that with the 59yr old valve right there that maybe I'm smelling it? Any suggestions?
      I am not sure about windex but some water and dish soap mixed in a spray botle works ok but I would check the shut off valve also.Thanks good luck
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

i've seen people use windex. but you have to be careful if it contains ammonia. this will corrode stainless flex connectors.

a soap test is the best way to go. a sniffer can and will pick up anything that's combustible. if the old valve is a plug style valve. they will and do leak if not properly tightened and greased.

chances are a $10.00 gas ball valve is the best fix. make sure the valve is rated for gas. most are now. check for the cga stamp or the aga if it's old stock.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
        X