X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• banging pipes

I have a difficult situation and maybe someone can help. This house (1960)was remodeled 3 years ago. All bathrooms are surrounded by tiles making impossible, unless big damage is done, open the walls for the repairs. This is the situation: when any lavatory HOT side is OPENED it makes a little bang noise, but only when the HOT is opened on any of the 3 lavatories. Now, when we CLOSE the COLD water on any lavatory there is a little stronger bang noise. When the toilets close the fluid master, then there is, on both toilet a stronger bang noise. This starting happened 6 months ago. The water heater has a timer controlled circulating pump. We tried everything possible to stop the banging, including installation of Mini Rester on all cut off valves on toilets, lavatories, clothes washer and at the water heater. I peep through the shower and tub faucets' plates and I don't see any of air chamber or arrestors. If this noise was developed 6 months ago, I assume that the copper pipes was properly attached to frames. Can the problem be the type of shower/tub faucets (American Standard)? Is any way - is there is no air chambers/arrestors to install something without opening the walls? I don't see that replacing the fluid masters will do any good, because there are mini arrestors at the supply valves. Any help? ... and thanks

Re: banging pipes

Something else, this happens with the kitchen faucets and the clothes washer as well. The noise is between the tub and the shower area (those are in different bathrooms but joining the separation wall. I am attaching some pictures, there is the tub and the shower

Comment

Sorry ... I installed a pressure reducer valve at the main to reduce from 80psi to 60 psi

Comment

Originally posted by Esthy View Post
        I have a difficult situation and maybe someone can help. This house (1960)was remodeled 3 years ago. All bathrooms are surrounded by tiles making impossible, unless big damage is done, open the walls for the repairs. This is the situation: when any lavatory HOT side is OPENED it makes a little bang noise, but only when the HOT is opened on any of the 3 lavatories. Now, when we CLOSE the COLD water on any lavatory there is a little stronger bang noise. When the toilets close the fluid master, then there is, on both toilet a stronger bang noise. This starting happened 6 months ago. The water heater has a timer controlled circulating pump. We tried everything possible to stop the banging, including installation of Mini Rester on all cut off valves on toilets, lavatories, clothes washer and at the water heater. I peep through the shower and tub faucets' plates and I don't see any of air chamber or arrestors. If this noise was developed 6 months ago, I assume that the copper pipes was properly attached to frames. Can the problem be the type of shower/tub faucets (American Standard)? Is any way - is there is no air chambers/arrestors to install something without opening the walls? I don't see that replacing the fluid masters will do any good, because there are mini arrestors at the supply valves. Any help? ... and thanks
        From what it seems to me from what you are saying the banging is hapening when you run the water {hot} then to cold or just running hot. First on your Remodel did you use P.V.C. for the drain waiste and venting??? If you did then it sounds like expansion and contraction of the PVC going from cold to hot and then back to cold! If the PVC is resting on pressed into the wood with no room to move you will get banging noises . Good thing is it will not efect the pvc over time if you can live with the noise . and good luck. Hope this helps
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Something else, this happens with the kitchen faucets and the clothes washer as well. The noise is between the tub and the shower area (those are in different bathrooms but joining the separation wall. I am attaching some pictures, there is the tub and the shower

P.S. The bathroom looks realy good nice pics.
          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I don't see that replacing the fluid masters will do any good, because there are mini arrestors at the supply valves. Any help? ... and thanks
            I would try replacing one of the Fluidmaster balcocks with a balcock that shuts off more slowly. Perhaps a Mansfield. You might solve part of your problem. BTW: I installed a new primary toilet in our house, for my grandaughter, which has a fluidmaster balcock. Since the replacement the water pipes now bang a little when it shuts off. I can 100% guarantee the water piping I installed in my house is well secured.

Since water banging sometimes results from water exceeding 11 FPM(?) you might also try increasing pipe sizing where you have access. What about a large expansion tank near the meter that would act as a shock absorber?

You might also try spraying foam into any areas you can access. Maybe remove a bit of baseboard trim, drill a 1/4" hole behind it and spray away. use the low expanding stuff.

Regarding PVC pipe banging, I've never heard this. I've seen it tick with temperature changes as it rubs against something during thermal growth or shrinkage.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Slab or crawlspace?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I guess the question is that I was getting to on what I was trying to say do you here the bangging well runnig the water and does it go bang,bang,bang or right when you shut off the water does it go BANG once .
                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Thanks: HOT: it bang once when hot water opens but not when close. COLD: it bang once when cold water close but not when open. Of course toilets are cold water and bang once when close and same with kitchen and washing machine faucets.I installed mini-arrestors on toilets, supply lines, clothes washer and on water heater and not help. BUT no bangs with tub and shower faucet.
                  I really, really appreciate any help. Even the toilets have mini-arrestors, I am going to replace the fluid masters as geno gardner suggested. Yes
                  JCsPlumbing, it is a slab.

Comment

Re: banging pipes THEY'RE WELL KNOWN !!!

Scottish rock band
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

FINALY!!! After so many hours and money in Mini-rester, etc., I found the problem! the check valve at the Instant Hot Water Recirculating System. I emailed the manufacturer and they told me to remove the check valve, I did and no more banging. I fell obligate to share that with the forum, it never happened before to me and because of the responses I am sure many are not aware of this

Comment

Working...
                      X