X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sump pump height on/off

I have a sump that is undersized (15" depp x 14" diamater).
    I have a ridgid 1/2 sump at the bottom tat pumps up ~10ft.
    I have a 4" pipe (french drain around inside perimeter of basement) that enters the sump, the top of the 4" pipe is 8" off the bottom of the sump.
    I do not have a backflow valve.

I don't have a lot of water and very rarely see any water in the sump.
    Lat weekend during the incredibly huge rains in Mass. I could see water coming out the 4" drain pipe into the sump. However once the water level reached the top of 4" drain pipe (8" from the bottom) the water would stop entering the sump. The ridgid pump float never lifted high enough and the pump never turned on.

I suppose I would not be worried about this but we noticed that water was leaking in another part of our basement from the wall/floor joint. I could not locate the source of the leak but it appeared to be coming where the french drain would be located under the cement floor. of course it could be coming from the outside as well.

Anyway I'm puzzled. I can't really replicate the problem. I am thinking I should lower the pump or float (somehow) to make sure it turns on before the 4" pipe top is reached. Is there anyway to extend (easily) and existing well. Mine is simply a big bucket (14"diameter x 15" deep) with little holes in it and the 4" inlet. I'm sure I could cut the bottom and I guess I could dig, but how could I reline the bottom. I was thinking I could simply cut a 12" hole in the existing well and after digging drop the bottom 5-6" of a 5 gallon paint bucket down. making the well wider would require breaking the concrete something I am not eager to do. Th easiest solution is a new pump or float switch that turns on at 6-7". i.e. below the top of the 4" drain.

Anyway I could use some help. Any ideas ??

Thanks !
    Srej

Re: sump pump height on/off

Originally posted by srej View Post
    I have a sump that is undersized (15" depp x 14" diamater).
    I have a ridgid 1/2 sump at the bottom tat pumps up ~10ft.
    I have a 4" pipe (french drain around inside perimeter of basement) that enters the sump, the top of the 4" pipe is 8" off the bottom of the sump.
    I do not have a backflow valve.

I don't have a lot of water and very rarely see any water in the sump.
    Lat weekend during the incredibly huge rains in Mass. I could see water coming out the 4" drain pipe into the sump. However once the water level reached the top of 4" drain pipe (8" from the bottom) the water would stop entering the sump. The ridgid pump float never lifted high enough and the pump never turned on.

I suppose I would not be worried about this but we noticed that water was leaking in another part of our basement from the wall/floor joint. I could not locate the source of the leak but it appeared to be coming where the french drain would be located under the cement floor. of course it could be coming from the outside as well.

Anyway I'm puzzled. I can't really replicate the problem. I am thinking I should lower the pump or float (somehow) to make sure it turns on before the 4" pipe top is reached. Is there anyway to extend (easily) and existing well. Mine is simply a big bucket (14"diameter x 15" deep) with little holes in it and the 4" inlet. I'm sure I could cut the bottom and I guess I could dig, but how could I reline the bottom. I was thinking I could simply cut a 12" hole in the existing well and after digging drop the bottom 5-6" of a 5 gallon paint bucket down. making the well wider would require breaking the concrete something I am not eager to do. Th easiest solution is a new pump or float switch that turns on at 6-7". i.e. below the top of the 4" drain.

Anyway I could use some help. Any ideas ??

Thanks !
    Srej
    http://www.zoellerpumps.com/ProductB...x?ProductID=89 after doing some looking around the zoeller mighty mate turns on at 7 1/4" and off at 3" .thats the easy choice ! the hard part the drain tile pipe should never hold water If there is that adds presure to the foundation of the house .But by the sounds of it the ridged pump lets the pipe fill up all the way and then some and that is realy not good .You could try the pump but the proper fix is going down with the pit . Hope that helps and good luck
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Thank you for the reply.
      Sounds like the answer is to make sure the 4" tile pipe doesn't stay full and backup ever.
      Great tip on Zoeller pump and I will try that. Even at 7 1/4" start I think that will do it - I hope. I want to add the backflow so good time to change the pump.

Do you believe that the 4" tile backup could have caused the leak in the other part of the room ? I'm wondering because I hate to start doing all sorts of other work if that is likely the problem.

Thanks again
      srej

Comment

Thank you for the reply.
        Sounds like the answer is to make sure the 4" tile pipe doesn't stay full and backup ever.
        Great tip on Zoeller pump and I will try that. Even at 7 1/4" start I think that will do it - I hope. I want to add the backflow so good time to change the pump.

Do you believe that the 4" tile backup could have caused the leak in the other part of the room ? I'm wondering because I hate to start doing all sorts of other work if that is likely the problem.

Thanks again
        srej
        With out being there and seeing its had to say but in my exp. I have seen where a house was getting water around foundation and his drain tile pipe going into his sump pit was close to the bottum .So I dug the pitt 1' deeper so the drain tile was not under water any more and that helped. Plus a 12" round pavers block for the base so the pump was not sitting in the mud
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

Thanks again
          srej
          I would start with the pump if it were me
          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
          X