Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Sump Pump Impeller - Won't cast iron rust?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump Pump Impeller - Won't cast iron rust?

I'm looking to replace my Rigid sump pump (SP-330D) with a Zoeller (M53/M57) thanks to the information from this forum. The old pump works but the diaphragm switch doesn't. I'll repair the old one and keep it as a spare, but I'm buying a new Zoeller for my primary.

Most seem to have cast iron impellers. Since my pump doesn't run a lot, won't this impeller rust and freeze up? They have models with glass reinforced plastic and a stainless steel guard. This sounds good from a corrosion standpoint, but maybe not so good from a durability standpoint.

We've had one basement flood due to an inoperative pump and I can't deal with another. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Wally

Re: Sump Pump Impeller - Won't cast iron rust?

I used to work in Industrial settings where we had many sumps with pumps (Dr. Seuss?). Almost all of out sump pumps had cast iron impellers. Some of the sumps were for high alkaline coolants and the cast iron impellers withstood those. We had sumps which handled corrosives mixed with oils, and greases. Those worked well also. I was later transferred to a plant which made car batteries, nasty environment there for sure. We had sumps in which the cast iron impellers outlasted the concrete the sumps were made from. On some of the sumps within this plant we used air operated diaphragm pumps. The diaphragm's would develop a pin hole, the acid would leak over to the cast iron or aluminum frame of the pump and eat it up. My experience with the fiberglass re-inforced plastic impellers was that they would not stand up to most chemicals as the cast iron impellers would. You are correct in stating that that if the pump sits idle the cast iron would have a tendency to rust. Pouring a bucket of water into the sump once a month or so to activate the pump would help also. David

Comment

I have a zollar sump pump in my crall space and in the spring the pump goes like crazy like now . mid to late summer fall and all winter there is very littel water that goes in there only if we have a stedy rain for 2-3 days and my pump is 10 yeays old this year
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Cast iron it is then. I'll order it tonight along with the Vertical Master float switch.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by WallyB View Post
          Cast iron it is then. I'll order it tonight along with the Vertical Master float switch.

Thanks everyone!
          Good luck enjoy if you need more just post.
          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I used to work at an aircraft propeller maintenance shop where we had a tank that held used chemicals including some strong etching acids. We used an old Ridgid pedestal sump pump to empty this tank into an evaporator unit that disposed of the acids. That pump was at least 10 years old and pumped nothing but acids and dirty parts washing solution and it showed no signs of adverse wear.

I would choose a cast iron pump over any type of plastic pump for a home use. Small rocks will eat Flotec plastic impellers where as a cast iron impeller will not be affected much at all.

Comment

Working...
            X