Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump Pit Repair

Hello,
    New here and hoping you all can help. I've searched alot of places and haven't found any answers.

I live in a cape built in 1950. Bought it about 4 years ago. Anyway, it has the original sump pump pit in it wich is about 2'x2'x2'. It's located in one corner and it has three drain pipes (clay drain tiles?) that run under the basement's concrete floor and dump into the pit, they come in at various odd angles. The pit originally had wood boards for sides and they are now all rotten and falling apart. I've started to get a little erosion on the sides of the pit due to some heavy rains and the force of the water coming out of the drain pipes.

SO, my question is what do I do with the sides of the pit. A commercial round plastic liner won't really work. Should I pour concrete sides? Just replace the boards? Loose stacked or mortared bricks?

I was planning on putting a few inches of gravel in the bottom of the pit along with a couple brick or concrete paver big enough for the pump to sit on so that the pump has a proper level surface.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Brian

Re: Sump Pit Repair

I see two concerns;

losing fill under the floor arond the pit and undermining the floor as a result,
    and rocks/fill getting into the pump and damaging it.

a third, minor (in my mind) concern is that the porous wooden sides of the pit are going to let water move through them, letting it get wet underneath. I regard this as minor as it's been relatively porous since day one with no known ill results. May actually be helping in that i lets water under the slab move into the pit through the walls as well as the drain tile.

I dont like the gravel in the bottom idea; for what purpose? And the wrong size rock will lodge in your pump, sieze it, and kill it. I like the brick/block under the pump; keeps it up out of harm's way if something it can't pass falls in.

I'd just drain it, rip out the rotted boards, clean up all the loose stuff in the bottom with a wet vac, and replace it with new lumber. I like that as it's been lumber all along and that letting water in through it may have been a good thing all these years, and doesn't seem to have been a bad thing by letting water out.

You could concrete it, but you'll end up using bags and that stuff never sets up nice and right and solid for me like readymix. Always turns out crumbly and junky. And I like the idea of leaving the walls semi-porous since they always have been.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Re: Sump Pit Repair

Thanks for the quick response. I was originally leaning in that direction but started wondering if that was the best way to go about it, but it has worked for the last 60 years without problems, so why change it.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X