Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kitchen Sink goes....bloop (hollow drip)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Sink goes....bloop (hollow drip)

So, I built this house about 6 months ago. The plumber ended up doing alot of poor work which I am now left to deal with. Let's start with my kitchen sink since it is especially annoying. The sink has two basins. A small basin for presumably vegetables and the large basin for everything else. I opted to place the food disposal on the large basin. An issue just recently started occuring when I was washing dishes I noticed that the basin was filling up. I'd run the disposal and the water started filling up the little basin. If I fill up the little basin it fills up the large basin (which is below it). Other wierd symptoms are hollow bloop sound that will occur for several minutes after everything has stopped running...as well bubbles coming up the small basin when I am filling it up.

This is how the sink is plumbed. The large basin has the disposal, the dishawasher line that goes into that and then a drain which is jioned by the small basin's drain line and then the trap....I will attempt to post a picture.

I opened the trap (since clearly the path of least resistence is up the small basin then towards the trap) and it is perfectly clean. As well is the junction piece between the main and small sink. I put draino directly down the drain with the trap off. i also filled the small sink into the big sink and then plug the small sinks and ran the disposal (hoping to force the water through the obstruction). However, the sink is still making that hollow dripping sound and its been off for a good 15 mins.

I've read some posts about the vent, but don't know how about getting to or fixing it

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Attached Files

Re: Kitchen Sink goes....bloop (hollow drip)

I can't see really well but I don't think that is trapper properly. If it is not trapped properly then it can get air pockets that go bloop bloop.

Comment

nice s trap

Comment

I have some questions:

You built this house, why did you choose this plumber?

What does the inspection ticket say about the plumbing from the inspection department?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by karmik View Post
          So, I built this house about 6 months ago. The plumber ended up doing alot of poor work which I am now left to deal with. Let's start with my kitchen sink since it is especially annoying. The sink has two basins. A small basin for presumably vegetables and the large basin for everything else. I opted to place the food disposal on the large basin. An issue just recently started occuring when I was washing dishes I noticed that the basin was filling up. I'd run the disposal and the water started filling up the little basin. If I fill up the little basin it fills up the large basin (which is below it). Other wierd symptoms are hollow bloop sound that will occur for several minutes after everything has stopped running...as well bubbles coming up the small basin when I am filling it up.

This is how the sink is plumbed. The large basin has the disposal, the dishawasher line that goes into that and then a drain which is jioned by the small basin's drain line and then the trap....I will attempt to post a picture.

I opened the trap (since clearly the path of least resistence is up the small basin then towards the trap) and it is perfectly clean. As well is the junction piece between the main and small sink. I put draino directly down the drain with the trap off. i also filled the small sink into the big sink and then plug the small sinks and ran the disposal (hoping to force the water through the obstruction). However, the sink is still making that hollow dripping sound and its been off for a good 15 mins.

I've read some posts about the vent, but don't know how about getting to or fixing it

Any help would be greatly appreciated
          Was this house built new or remodel ? and was there a plumbing inspection ? I ask only because it doesnt even look like he vented thr trap not even with a re-vent [mechanical vent] witch are agenst coed in some areas but in your case looks from the only pic. I can see would be beter then none . does the drain from the trap go into a tee with a pipe going up for the vent and the drain go through yhe base of the cabanit or does the trap just turn and drop down with no pipe going up like an s turnd side ways?
          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

first check to see if the drain line below floor has proper pitch. Next that trap can be no further than 12 feet from a vented line. If the original plumber did bad work then I would guess that the pipe is overrun and trapped below the floor

Comment

Double trap, no air gap or hose loop for d.w.

Will the real plumber ,paleeze stand up !!!!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

J.C. - I got this plumber from my "buddy" who has built investment properties...The plumber worked around other jobs - in short this is the first of mainy topics which need to be fixed by me. He never got a final inspection and told me it would be done at the end by me. I have never called the inspector, i worry that its just more headache for me - in that everyone knows each other in the city - i'm not saying corrupt, but

i went to city hall to complain and the guy behind the desk who knew him by first name and pulled out his personal cell phone and called him. When I asked for the permit - they said I couldn't have it because it doesn't belong to me.

Yes, I was a novice- and lets chalk these expensive lessons of life to a tution - you pay for it one way or another...For now, I would like to fix this problem myself since I've spent all this money on the house already - and learn for the next project

Post Plumber-

The house is a row home in the city. It was stripped down to the bricks and joist and then rebuilt - so somewhere in between a new house and remodel. The plumber had blank slate to work with before framing, drywall etc.
                There appears to be no vent at all! after your post I researched some stuff on the web and it appears to be an S (which apperently is wrong/ outdated) and yes it just simply goes directly into the drain pipe in the floor like an S turned sideways.

So the million dollar question>..... what do I do now?

I would love some solution and I will try handiwork and post pics and document the results...

Should I try and replace S trap with something else?
                Should I put some kind of vent in it? whether mechinical or not?
                Do I contact inspectors?

Thank you so much for everyones input.... look forward to using my kitchen sink

Comment

A licensed recommended plumber in your area can probably correct this in under 2 hours. May not meet your local code to the letter, but I get the impression that there are alot of things that don't on this project.

Call a licensed company with good recommendations. Done in 1 day.

J.C.

Comment

J.C.- Probably the most logical answer to my problem. However, I enjoy learning from these challenges and fixing them myself - the way you only can in your own home...so thoughts for a fix?

Comment

Either you understand the mechanics of a good DWV system or you don't.
                      If you do then take it apart and fix it. If not have a plumber come out and pay him an hour to explain it. Better yet hire some one to take care of it.

Comment

there are books in the library on drains and vents, you will need to read a few. breid...........

Comment

Look, here's what's going on;

No-one here wants to tell you how to band-aid that because
                          - the obvious fix may not be up to code in your area
                          - we don't know the extent of what we can't see, but from what we can, it's going to be a horror show and don't want to advise you in how to band-aid a gaping wound

So, what you really need to do is find a competent honest plumber and have him assess it so you know just how bad it is. Because if you start slapping homeowner band-aids on a hacked in system, it's just going to get worse.

And if you never get it put right and inspected it's going to be a nightmare. I can't believe you have a c.o. without final inspection. Without one it's illegal for you to be living in it. And you'll never be able to get off that constuction loan and onto a regular mortgage. And no-one will be able to get a loan on it when you go to sell it. Pray he at least got a rough inspection, and that it was a real one instead of a buddy drive by and sign, so the stuff in the walls and under the floor at least is right.

I understand the issues with bucking the good ole boy system, but I think you've got to wade in. I sure wouldn't want that hack back in my house, and it's going to be expensive just finding out what all is wrong, and more expensive to fix it. Placed in your position I'd find a good plumber and a good lawyer. I assume that, of course, he's already been paid.

Let me guess; you were your own GC on this project. That doesn't seem to have worked out very well. Maybe it's time to think about hiring someone who understands the permitting and inspection process to assess the state of things and get it back on track.
                          Last edited by Ace Sewer; 03-27-2010, 12:11 AM.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by jjaplumbing View Post
                            first check to see if the drain line below floor has proper pitch. Next that trap can be no further than 12 feet from a vented line. If the original plumber did bad work then I would guess that the pipe is overrun and trapped below the floor
                            12 FEET, That's Your code ?
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I can't tell from the photo whether it is s trap'd and diving directly into the floor or if it is double trapped and then going into the wall. In either case it is not vented properly. Best to get a qualified plumber and get it sorted out. It makes me wonder what else was monkey'd in at your home. Better have the plumber check out the whole place while he is at it.

Comment

Working...
                              X