X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Island Sink Nightmare

A friend of mine just had their kitchen remodeled with a new design including an island sink. Everything is finished including flooring, cabinetry, etc. The island sink is about 8' (up stream) from the wall separating the kitchen from the garage. This wall has the drain for the wash machine and a laundry tray facing into the garage. The vent for these two fixtures is 1 1/2". The new island sink has its own separate vent, but no c/o for the drain and no c/o for the vent. I'm almost positive the vent/drain for the island was improperly installed. Without cutting the concrete slab and tearing the drywall open, it's hard to say what or how screwed up it is. Nevertheless, the kitchen sink drains well.

The problem is that when the washing machine, as described above, drains, the kitchen sink girgles and groans loudly. Looks like the draining washing machine creates too much strain on its own vent that it pulls from the kitchen sink trap. Would up sizing the laundry group vent to 2" help? Or is this a tear open and redo all situation?

Re: Island Sink Nightmare

If you dont see a 3" line under the island sink
    The nightmare wont end
    If it is 3" under the sink try to clean it out with a 3" cutter

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
      I'm wondering if you have restriction in the W/M line causing positive pressure ie "gurgling" at the kitchen sink and not instead pulling from the trap. You should be able to confirm this.

J.C.

smack on.

'island sink has it's own vent' which is either a loop or an aav, neither of which will let air out.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

quick question? try running the laundry machine full of water with no soap.

if it doesn't gurgle, then it has to do with soap suds and bubbles.

if it gurggles, then it's a venting or drain issue.

test it and get back with us.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Will the real plumber, paleeze stand up !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Will the real plumber, paleeze stand up !
            There Ain't One Tool
            But he did pass his contractors test

If only he would've stayed in a Holiday Inn Express

Comment

As always, thanks for the feedback. Rick, you asked if it makes the noise without soap. This morning when I was there checking it out, it did not make the noise when I ran it without soap. I repeatedly ran the wash machine over and over to try and get it to make the noise and it never really did what they described (no noise at all). I just called back tonight and they told me they washed clothes tonight, with soap, and it made the noise.

Given these circumstances, what do you think?

Comment

soap suds displace the free air space in the waste and vent system. it's a venting issue. question now is, is it because they run too much soap and create an issue due to the soap bubbles? would it matter still if the sink was not an island vent?

hard to tell, but it's not a stoppage. the soap suds block the free air space and create the bubbling affect.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  quick question? try running the laundry machine full of water with no soap.

if it doesn't gurgle, then it has to do with soap suds and bubbles.

if it gurggles, then it's a venting or drain issue.

test it and get back with us.

rick.
                  Gee Rick I haven`t head that story for many years it brings back old memories and saying yes Sir to my first boss.

Tony

Comment

hello fellow members,a vacumn breaker 2 '' would work well or a re-seal trap under the sink

Comment

ITs a drain problem if a washer load with soap cant go down the drain with out putting the low kit vent under water
                      Only hope is to keep the line clean

Comment

I'll say what needs to be said. The plumber HACKED the Island vent !!

Each vent stands alone
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

It seems really odd to me that suds would be enough to make a difference, but from what the op reports, they sure seem to, and it sounds like a couple people have seen it before. Really hard for me to buy, but I can't argue with the behavior.

I'd like to know what, exactly, the vent at the sink is, and if removing the aav if there is one changes it, or if suds come puking out. I bet it's a loop or an aav.

I'd also be interested to just jet it out and see if that changed it; a downstream restriction could fill the system up to the point it started filliing the line back to the sink and pressurizing it, and something like an aav that won't let air out would make it bubble the trap.

I'd also be interested in making sure the washer vent is open.

I also wonder if the old sink was tied into this line or another; the washer line may just be too small to take the discharge well, and it was never noticed before because nothing else was tied to it.

If all else fails, they could give up and get one of the fancy front loaders that doesn't dump so much all at once.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                            If you dont see a 3" line under the island sink
                            The nightmare wont end
                            If it is 3" under the sink try to clean it out with a 3" cutter
                            Ok We have one sink, I would have run 2". Please educate Me.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              Ok We have one sink, I would have run 2". Please educate Me.
                              I am not sure about your coad but in chicago all under ground sewer must be a min. of 4"
                              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                              X