X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gravity drainage options

wall to left is the wall which has washer box connections (ie laundry room just on other side of wall to left)
    Attached Files

Comment

So one thought was the three inch vent stack is just behind wall at toilet. Since this is a short run from laundry room could join three inch drain pipe in via this bathroom (ie parallel to tee 1 1/2 inch drain line at lower height and 90 deg elbow into vent stack behind toilet. this would require covering the pipe with something(vanity cabinet, etc) as it would traverse the bathroom on surface of the wall down low. This seems to be least expensive option but i guess kinda mickey mouse as pointed out.

Comment

another option which I know less about is to create a floor drain in blue tile behind where washer will sit. this drain will have to connect to something large behind this wall. so I took a picture of another possibility which is shown in close up. this is a shower/tub drain that is behind the red cabinet. the drain of this tub connects to a cast iron drain pipe which resides in a cutaway of the concrete slab (this is the closeup photo) . This is just to the left of the tee drain and dryer vent (see the sheetrock demo that goes all way to floor). So this is where the concrete saw comes in to connect the new floor drain to this cast iron drain--- Bad idea? I has also been suggested that this may not even be possible without taking this whole wall and tub out (ouch) This is the closest "drain" that is below the level of the concrete slab and in reasonable proximity to where new floor drain will be.
        Attached Files

Comment

Another issue that arises is with a "hardwired connection" to the vent stack vibration, etc I suspect will be an issue. Therefore the drain into a floor trench seems like the more sensible route to go unless draining into a box such as a lint interceptor.
          Video showing prior model of similar size/spec to illustrate movement.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjk0_yqT2fQ

Comment

So, I looked at the mfr website for your washer. I didn't get anything useful from it. Is it a comercial washer? Or aimed at a residential market? It kind of looks like a crossover product, commercial grade/appearance for the high end residential market. If that's the case, I would think the mfr would have a solution for this already as a gravity drain just isn't standard for residential, at least in the US. Have you talked with them to make sure there isn't an accessory pump available for it for your application?

How dead set on this one are you? You've already got a standard washer box and a standard washer would slip right in. Not trying to talk you out of the appliance of your dreams, just thought since we're getting creative I might back up the debate one more step since buying it is going to be less than half the cost given the installation difficulties.

Anyway, if this is the one you've got to have, The best installation is going to be to cut the floor, lay in a nice big concrete trough, and run a 3" floor drain from the trough over to wherever is easiest to tie in.

I'd recommend a camera and locate on the stack to find where it goes underfloor and how deep it is; you will get a better idea of how best to tie it in, and may find it goes somewhere convenient, or somewhere very inconvenient, and it'd be nice to know before whacking out a bunch of concrete. You may not have the fall to put in the trough or even a floor sink if that stack turns horizontal right away.

ps; I can't zoom the pics enough to see, but doubt the tub drain is a real option. looks like a 3" stack in the drywall cut, and I'd be looking at that for a place to tie in if it drops deep enough. You'll need room to get a san-t in the vertical below slab before it heads horizontal deep enough to pick up your trough drain, and I doubt you'll have it, but someone with a camera and a locator with depth can tell you.
            Last edited by Ace Sewer; 03-27-2010, 11:48 PM.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Really, I think you are going to find that that 3" stack doesn't go deep enough before heading out to be useful, and I think you are going to end up with a sump pit/pump in the blue tile behind the washer and dump the pump outlet into the existing washer box drain, and deal with the attendant mtnc issues.

But the lazy guy in me wants to talk you into a nice Maytag.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

backing out not an option
                i should mention that when washer is properly installed it is sitting on stand making its drain pipe just under 13" off floor so certain drain boxes will be fine alternative to collect while waiting to be pumped out. floor sink is best option but most costly and sounds like I may have to consider alternate location with floor drain going out of foundation different way and connecting to sewer out in yard somewhere or field drain

Comment

other option to place washer floor drain here would allow access to side yard (where door is) and connection to sewer at remote site in back yard.
                  Attached Files

Comment

install guide
                    Attached Files

Comment

gimme a closeup of the drywall cut next to the cabinet in pic 1, post 18, showing the stack.

Comment

actually cannot see the stack itself as it is about 5 ft away directly behind this wall but I think the tee to right of cleanout is going directly to the stack away from us and connecting to the washer box via trap to the right of the tee. Not sure if I am making it more confusing or not. I will try to draw a pic too if I can.
                        Attached Files

Comment

crude top down view of layout
                          Attached Files

Comment

ok, I misunderstood; I thought that (the dryer vent) was the stack, and the back of the toilet was directly through the wall behind it.

now I see a horizontal 2", taking drainage from the washer box to the right, with some unknown t installed in it horizontally thats points towards a 3" stack 5' away, and an unknown leg to the left... correct?

From what I'm seeing, if that t is suppsed to take drainage to the stack, it looks wrong. In fact, I don't know what that T is doing there... a vent should be coming down from above, not on it's side like that, and a drain should be swept in the direction of flow. And it's kind of scary how the studs have been chopped through to make room for that line.

What is the leg to the left of the t with the cleanout tied to? Is there another fixture over there? A sink in that cabinet? Or is the washer draining out to the left?

When I saw that that wasn't the stack, I started going back to pit/pump in the blue tile under/behind the washer, and dump the pump outlet into the washer box, but now that 2" looks pretty wrong.

Think you should have a plumber look at that. It's looking pretty 'this is messed up but it'll work for a while and it's not getting inspected and it'll fit' from here.

Comment

Correct
                              There is a sink in the cabinet to the left
                              actually the drain pipe with the tee is only 1 1/2inch.
                              I could see getting rid of the entire setup but would require major demo and remodel because of the two bathrooms back to back on other side of wall with lots of Tile, etc.
                              Ideally the floor sink/trough seems the way to go but like you said I wonder if there is enough fall to the vent stack to make it work

Comment

The stack is going to turn horizontal shortly after dropping below slab. Get it inspected with a camera and located, with depth, and find out which way it runs and how deep. You may get lucky and have it come out under the laundry floor or some other way that is useful.

That sink/washer box/then lav drain is way wrong, and should be fixed as part of the process. Looks like the laundry was added as an afterthougt and maladroitly tied into the lav sink line.
                                Last edited by Ace Sewer; 03-29-2010, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X