X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gravity drainage options

Planning to install a washer with 25gal drum capacity that has no discharge pump but is designed to drain by gravity with chek valve into three inch floor drain. Problem: no floor drain available only 1 1/2 inch standpipe. Three inch vent stack is available in wall nearby. Has been suggested that I place new three inch pvc drain line (with p-trap) from machine to the vent stack directly as alternative. Height of machine drain output is such that it would be lower than the ~18inch height of the 1 1/2 inch drain for old washer furthermore it would require a reducer from three inch pipe down to 1 1/2 inch. So, options are as above or concrete saws and room demolition to install floor sink. Any other suggestions or problems with what was recommended?
    Thanks in advance

Re: gravity drainage options

Is this a big commercial washer? get a filter bag for the discharge whatever you do; they create a fantastic amount of lint.

I usually see those draining into a trough in the floor, not just a floor sink, and that's the best way to do it. put in a decent sized line with a cleanout if you are going to rip the floor up; the hole is the expensive part.

I think adding it to the stack would be a lot cheaper, but you'll need to make sure you have enough height, and it'll be kind of micky mouse.

dumping a 3" discharge into 1 1/2" just isn't going to work even if you had the height. you'd need to neck the washer discharge way down to restrict it to where it didn't overwhelm the drain, and it'd be a constant headache.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

And a trap. the receptor pipe will need a trap to keep the stanky sewer gas out of your house. There should be one in the wall on the current 1.5" pipe in the wall currently.
      ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

how critical is the air gap discharge setup? (i.e. would I need a backflow preventer if it is a direct connect line to the 3 inch stack?)

Comment

Originally posted by planum View Post
          how critical is the air gap discharge setup? (i.e. would I need a backflow preventer if it is a direct connect line to the 3 inch stack?)
          long story short, you'll need something. Just exactly what is ok depends on your local code, and your plumber should know what will fly and what won't.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Ideal would be to install a floor drain but my guess is the price tag would make it such that I would need to turn basement into public laundromat to recoup. $$ No we are gonna deal with this in the right way and ain't gonna cry about it. Just thought I'd poll the experts before I start sawing the foundation up. Interestingly, the option of a reservoir with a cast iron sump pump was proposed but the price tag for the two was around $1500 and I figured that would have its on problems and maintenance issues over the long haul.
            appreciate the advice

Comment

Planning to install a washer with 25gal drum capacity that has no discharge pump but is designed to drain by gravity with chek valve into three inch floor drain. Problem: no floor drain available only 1 1/2 inch standpipe. Three inch vent stack is available in wall nearby. Has been suggested that I place new three inch pvc drain line (with p-trap) from machine to the vent stack directly as alternative. Height of machine drain output is such that it would be lower than the ~18inch height of the 1 1/2 inch drain for old washer furthermore it would require a reducer from three inch pipe down to 1 1/2 inch. So, options are as above or concrete saws and room demolition to install floor sink. Any other suggestions or problems with what was recommended?
              Thanks in advance
              if we had some info [make ,model ,& serial #] to look up info on the washer drainage system that would help thanks anything even pics. where your going to put them that will help
              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Its a Miele pw 6101
                3 inch output line
                Supposed to be residential or commercial unit but as Im learning the commercial install has the advantage.
                For the long run should I just bite the bullet and let them install the floor drain if so would you connect it to a field line (side yard) or have a demo team take down the adjacent bathroom tile/walls and connect it to the main house sewer line.

Comment

Its a Miele pw 6101
                  3 inch output line
                  Supposed to be residential or commercial unit but as Im learning the commercial install has the advantage.
                  For the long run should I just bite the bullet and let them install the floor drain if so would you connect it to a field line (side yard) or have a demo team take down the adjacent bathroom tile/walls and connect it to the main house sewer line.
                  well that washer looks like a strong one and If your planing on keeping it for a long time dont cheap out do the job right the first time or pay more when you pay to have it done twice.
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Its a Miele pw 6101
                    3 inch output line
                    I would run a new drain line in floor from stack . Hopfully the 3" line increases to 4" in floor. If not its not the end of the world run drain in 3" and you could put a floor sink in but a trough would be a lot better due to the sudds .The trough gives the sudds a place to seddle down in
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

what ever choice you go with and how ever you conect the washer remember
                      so post some pics we like to se them befor ,during and after and dont be afraid to ask any questions everyone will try to help
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Ideal would be to install a floor drain but my guess is the price tag would make it such that I would need to turn basement into public laundromat to recoup. $$ No we are gonna deal with this in the right way and ain't gonna cry about it. Just thought I'd poll the experts before I start sawing the foundation up. Interestingly, the option of a reservoir with a cast iron sump pump was proposed but the price tag for the two was around $1500 and I figured that would have its on problems and maintenance issues over the long haul.
                        appreciate the advice
                        I like Your positive attitude ! Everyone hates the idea of a little concrete demo! I must be sick,I enjoy the challenge. Having all the Equept. Helps! Good luck
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I will try to get some pictures that help you conceptualize this.

Comment

original washer/dryer site
                            Attached Files

Comment

this tee goes directly away from this point and picks up lav in bathroom on other side of this wall (see next pic)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X