X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore Water Softener

We installed a Kenmore to replace our worn-out Culligan softener. I just wanted to say that so far we are happy with the $600.00 rather than the $1500.00 for replacement.

What can we expect for longevity vs the Culligan? With what we saved I would be happy with 1/2 the lifespan.

By the way, the controls on the Kenmore are much more user friendly than the 12 year old Culligan was but perhaps they have all improved over the years.

Re: Kenmore Water Softener

Originally posted by doc_63 View Post
    We installed a Kenmore to replace our worn-out Culligan softener. I just wanted to say that so far we are happy with the $600.00 rather than the $1500.00 for replacement.

What can we expect for longevity vs the Culligan? With what we saved I would be happy with 1/2 the lifespan.

By the way, the controls on the Kenmore are much more user friendly than the 12 year old Culligan was but perhaps they have all improved over the years.
    you just said it your self the controles are a lot more updated then 12 years ago
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I also have a Sears Kenmore water softener it's been in service since
      07-09-06, a small 300 series unit, it's all good, no problems, no issues.

Works for me I can't recall exacty what I spent I think it was on sale
      Sears always seems to have sales on these items on a frequent basis.

Comment

They should last 10 years or so if installed inside or protected from the sun rain and cold.
        A lot of places are starting to make it more difficult to get them installed. They are not the most environmentally friendly appliance.

Comment

Culligan does not manufacturer softeners, so that "culligan system" with todays updates and better heads could have been bought online for $600 or less.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee H View Post
            Culligan does not manufacturer softeners, so that "culligan system" with todays updates and better heads could have been bought online for $600 or less.
            But i'm not sold on the fact that they are any better than Kenmore.

Comment

But i'm not sold on the fact that they are any better than Kenmore.
              I am in no way a softener expert. The Water Surgeon on this forum seems to be but does not visit often.

I'm told the traditional systems can go 20+years without problem.

Some say that the store brand ones are of less quality and expect lives of 10 years or less. But at the price point, if it will do what you want, it might be the better performer for the dollar.

I've put in both types and have not had a complaint about either one. And I do ask the customers months-even years later after the installation.

The electronic controls on the store brands are MUCH more user friendly also.

J.C.

Comment

The biggest difference is the head. Culligans and Sears are difficult to work on and no self respecting water treatment person including myself will work on one. Same goes for all proprietary units.

The best and easiest to find parts for are the Autotrol and the Fleck heads. Problem is, you won't find the brand names on either of them.

The other thing to look for is the capacity. A rather standard unit comes with a cubic foot of resin in it. This tank usually comes in a 9" X 48" tank with a separate brine tank. If you go to the big box stores, you will find that some of their units are 24,000 grain or even 16,000 grain units. This means a 3/4 or 1/2 cubic foot of resin and that drops capacity which makes it have to backwash more frequently. This runs up your water bill or runs your pump more often.

One thing you can be sure of. The bad things about all these units sold rather cheaply are not things you can see or would be aware of as a homeowner.

One more thing: If you have city water, this won't apply so much unless you want to remove the chlorine, ammonia or fluoride. With a well, there may be other things such as iron, sulplur, manganese etc that you need removed. Softeners don't do this by themselves, so an expert would be needed. The big box stores can't help you with this problem.
                Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                  The biggest difference is the head. Culligans and Sears are difficult to work on and no self respecting water treatment person including myself will work on one. Same goes for all proprietary units.

The best and easiest to find parts for are the Autotrol and the Fleck heads. Problem is, you won't find the brand names on either of them.

The other thing to look for is the capacity. A rather standard unit comes with a cubic foot of resin in it. This tank usually comes in a 9" X 48" tank with a separate brine tank. If you go to the big box stores, you will find that some of their units are 24,000 grain or even 16,000 grain units. This means a 3/4 or 1/2 cubic foot of resin and that drops capacity which makes it have to backwash more frequently. This runs up your water bill or runs your pump more often.

One thing you can be sure of. The bad things about all these units sold rather cheaply are not things you can see or would be aware of as a homeowner.

One more thing: If you have city water, this won't apply so much unless you want to remove the chlorine, ammonia or fluoride. With a well, there may be other things such as iron, sulplur, manganese etc that you need removed. Softeners don't do this by themselves, so an expert would be needed. The big box stores can't help you with this problem.
                  I'm on city water and just need her softened up a bit. So far so good...

Comment

Working...
                  X