X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stinky basement bathroom

our basement bathroom, that we do not use, was built before we moved in and has sink, toilet and shower.. different parts of the year has a very musty smell i always keep the door closed. Since it is not being used, i would like to seal toilet and shower drains and use this room for storage or something else instead of a now unusable room. i do have some skill and knowledge of bathrooms but i am not a licensed plumber. the shower is a fiberglass stall and the toilet is on a concrete basement slab covered by vinyl sheet flooring. I know how to remove toilet and i think i can uninstall shower to access drain, but how do i seal them? I saw early posts of dollar plug for toilet.. can this be used as a permanent solution.. and how about shower? any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Re: stinky basement bathroom

While you are thinking what to do with the bathroom at least fill the traps with water to stop gases and odors.

Comment

You can use econo plugs, these plugs come in different sizes. When you put them into the drain and tighten them up it expands and provide a good seal.

Comment

Yes, that is a good solution and they come in sizes appropriate for both the toilet and shower (and sink, though a female threaded cap might be better there depending what you've got).

They are a little annoying as a permanent solution for a storeroom floor, as bits stick up for you to trip on and be in the way for stacking boxes there. But they are a nice solution because, if anyone ever wants it to be a bathroom again, they are a whole lot easier to remove than concrete.

If the sticking up bits are very annoying, pick up some old pallets and lay them in there on the floor. That'll also save your stuff if you ever flood in there.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Thank you all for replying... there is water in the traps, i do not know why it can smell so bad certain times of the year... its funny, the finished parts of the basement, which was done prior, can really have some strong odors during parts of the year (i do run a de-humidifier ) and the un-finished part of the basement is fine.. never any smells..i have taken away some drywall and i was told it was built to code on what was uncovered.... anyway..

i tried to google "econo plug".. but came up with nothing.. is this something i can pickup at home depot?

Comment

look like this http://www.amazon.com/LDR-INDUSTRIES.../dp/B001EHCU4C

there are plastic ones too. HD should have them.

smell may be moisture in the walls; mold.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Is the seal where to toilet joins the sewerage pipe lost its integraty and allowing sewerage smells to enter your basement.

Tony

Comment

Thanks again for the reply and web-link.. we had company come in with moister tools and did not show any moister in the finished walls or signs of mold(there is a vapor barrier against concrete walls and then wood studs and drywall).. they did recommend a bigger de-humidifier.. thanks for the tip on possible bad toilet seal.

if i could ask one more question.. does the shower have a water trap? how is that designed through concrete floor?

Comment

looks similar to the trap u see under your sink, just down where you cant see it.

Comment

Working...
                  X