Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kind of liquid filled inside the sump pump itself?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of liquid filled inside the sump pump itself?

Hello everybody,
    I am new here.
    There is a question which has been puzzled me for a long time. I am working as a maintance guy, when we open the pump, we see the whole pump(like winding, motor) is filled with kind of liquid.
    My colleage told me this liquid is kind of oil, really I do not know.
    Is there anybody can explain what is this material? if some of liquid missing, what is the substitue we can change to?

Thanks a lot.
    2010-Mar. 30.

Re: what kind of liquid filled inside the sump pump itself?

yes, it's oil.

Don't know if it's somthing special because of the electrics, but doubt it. Mostly those have open bearings in there and it's to lubricate them.

If some is missing, it went somewhere, somehow, so something's probably leaking, and you'll need a new seal or whatever as well.

Unless it's a big expensive pump, in which case I'd send it out to a rebuilder so it gets done right with a warranty, if I get that deep into one I just chuck it and replace it.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by vitre View Post
      Hello everybody,
      I am new here.
      There is a question which has been puzzled me for a long time. I am working as a maintance guy, when we open the pump, we see the whole pump(like winding, motor) is filled with kind of liquid.
      Is there anybody can explain what is this material? if some of liquid missing, what is the substitue we can change to?

Thanks a lot.
      2010-Mar. 30.
      Do you remember "Stretch Armstrong"? The stuff that was inside of him is what they use in sump pumps.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by vitre View Post
        Hello everybody,
        I am new here.

Thanks a lot.
        2010-Mar. 30.
        the make serial # and model # would help but more then likely the pump is oil coold and lubricated even a pic of the pump would be great we like pics here thanks
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate.
          Now I realized that this is kind of dielectric oil, used for lubrication and cooling purpose too.
          We might find at electric motor repair shop or we have to buy from Ridgid.
          My case. this is a 1/2 HP, for industrial use. I have bought a 3/4 Hp instead.
          Thanks again.

Comment

i've rebuilt some pumps myself and the oil is a dielectric oil.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
            X