X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water softener draining problem!

My house was built in 2005. We have owned it for 3 years now. When the inspector came through the house before we bought it he said that the water softener drain should be a air gap not an air break. I don't know if that is related to my problem or not, but here is what's happening.

When the culligan water softener regenerates, it drains the water, and is actually pushing water up out of the floor drain in my basement. It creates a decent sized puddle all around it and the puddle makes it's way to the hole for the sump pump. I'm not sure if I have a plugged drain or if it has to do with how the water softener is draining. I know that the code is to have an air gap but don't know much about it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Water softener draining problem!

Sounds like a slow drain or clog to me. The air gap or air break would not effect the rate of draining.

Comment

Thanks, any body know what would cause this in a new house like this? How could I fix it?

Comment

Air gaps are a distance between the outlet of the pipe or hose on the softener and the drain. It should be double the diameter of the hose. so a half inch pipe would require a one inch gap. it prevents water from backing up into the softener.

The air break is basically stuffing the hose or pipe into the drain. Not as safe for a softener system.

Comment

If you have a clog you need to snake it.

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
            X