X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing gasket on wall mounted toilet

I am about ready to rehang a wall mounted toilet after repairing the water supply line and replacing the angle stop. I am unable to post pictures. i think they are too big. (about 3.5 MBs each) Anybody know how to solve that? Pictures would help a lot here.

The flange on the back of the toilet is two concentric circles.(circle in a circle) one is six inches in diameter and the other is 3 1/2. The recess between the cirlcles is about an inch deep. I was able to purchase a felt gasket (which is what I pulled off) that was robbbed out of a kit made by the Jay R. Smith company. In that kit was a tube of black Permatex Form-a-gasket and four mounting nuts and washers. But I am a little puzzled by two things.

1)The felt gasket I purchased is not quite big enough to fit into the inch deep recess created by the two circles. Do I just stretch it out?

2)Assuming I do that to make it fit, does the gasket seat over the sewer pipe nipple that protrudes from the wall, forming a seal as I tighten the four nuts onto the four bolts that stick out from the carrier?

Thanks
    Last edited by aggiejet; 04-01-2010, 05:30 PM.

Re: Installing gasket on wall mounted toilet

Your right pictures would help.

Comment

i can send you guys a e-mail with the picture. But the limitations on attachments here is too small with the camera I'm using. I'll send you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by aggiejet View Post
        i can send you guys a e-mail with the picture. But the limitations on attachments here is too small with the camera I'm using. I'll send you a PM
        The file size limit is about the same on all online sites. Here is a free download software which is real easy to use to resize your photos. I've been using it trouble free for years.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark,

Thanks a lot.

Anybody recognize this thing?

I bought a sponge gasket that measures 5 5/8 OD, although it is sold as a 5 3/8 OD. It won't fit into the recessed part of the flange. Too big. The company doesn't sell anything that measures 5 1/8.The felt gasket I bought is too small. Do I just stretch it out? And then apply Permatex to the outside to make a good seal? Or do I have some kinda super odd ball thing that will require me to adapt, improvise, and overcome.

Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

The J.R. Smith gaskets are designed to fit on their 4" carrier nipples,I've never done a tank type wall hung toilet only flush valves.The foam type gasket you have should have a resess on the one side,that side goes on the nipple at the wall,the nipple should fit in the resessed area.What do you have coming out of the wall?
            Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

J. R. Smith gaskets Will work on any wall hung toilet.
              just pull on the gasket too stretch it out. If it is too thick cut it
              down with a Stanley knife. A picture of the carrier would
              be nice.

Comment

Zurn Neo-Seal... never wax.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Here are some pictures of the carrier. The sponge/foam gasket does NOT have a slit/slot/recess cut into the face that would allow the carrier nipple to seat into. It is a solid "doughnut" of foam. And, as I mentioned earlier, it will not fit into the channel on the back of the toilet. I have tried compressing it, but the material is too solid to allow much compression.

Similarly, the felt gasket has no slit or recess on it's face either. I was wondering if you are supposed to partially slit the face of it to give the carrier nipple something to seat into.

Thanks
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here you go I will post a picture of the Zurn gasket. It will fit onto the horn of your water closet, it comes with a sealant you put on the both sides of the gasket as well.

Comment

I would try cutting the inside/outside of the gasket to fit the toilet and not worry about it having a slot to seat on the nipple.There should be nuts and washers behind the toilet on the studs,we normally set those so the washer is about 1/16" out from the wall,the toilet should set on these not the wall,not knowing how far out the nipple that you have is this dim. could change.If your nipple is too far out in relation to the washers you can snap off the ears on the toilet when you tighten it.
                      Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Originally posted by leakfree View Post
                        I would try cutting the inside/outside of the gasket to fit the toilet and not worry about it having a slot to seat on the nipple.There should be nuts and washers behind the toilet on the studs,we normally set those so the washer is about 1/16" out from the wall,the toilet should set on these not the wall,not knowing how far out the nipple that you have is this dim. could change.If your nipple is too far out in relation to the washers you can snap off the ears on the toilet when you tighten it.
                        What you just posted here is one of the huge reasons I do not like to tell a home owner how to set a wall hung water closet. The back up nuts and washers need to be set to how far out the carrier nipple sticks out from the wall also the depth of the horn on the water closet factors into the equation. I have seen to many people hurt from an improper install on a wall hung water closet than I care for.

Heck I once was using a wall hung water closet and the bowl broke. Turned out the building maintenance guy felt the back up washers and nuts kept the bowl to far off the wall so he removed them. He now was using the wall itself to support the water closet which when the wall finally gave away it broke the bowl.

So sir if you are unsure on how to make sure the back up nuts and washer is properly adjusted, and about how to install the seal, I really recommend calling a plumber that has worked on wall hung water closets.

Comment

The backup nuts on the studs haven't changed positions. I assume I could use the same distance or setting except the issue of compressability of the sponge/foam gasket concerns me. Also, the fact that I can't get the sponge/foam gasket onto the horn without trimming it leads me to believe I don't have the correct one. That is why I'm leaning toward using the felt gasket because that is what came off. I just wanted to make sure it is okay to stretch it out, as it is slightly too small to fit over the horn. Also, I understand the issue of not cranking down the attaching nuts so as not to crack your ears on the mounting portion of the bowl. Given ALL that, which gasket provides the best seal? And if I go with the sponge/foam gasket, about how much setback from the carrier nipple should I use for the back nuts and washers? About 3/16ths would seem about right to me. i.e. that would be about the amount of nipple I would want seated into the face of the gasket.

Thanks
                          Last edited by aggiejet; 04-04-2010, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aggiejet View Post
                            The backup nuts on the studs haven't changed positions. I assume I could use the same distance or setting except the issue of compressability of the sponge/foam gasket concerns me. Also, the fact that I can't get the sponge/foam gasket onto the horn without trimming it leads me to believe I don't have the correct one. That is why I'm leaning toward using the felt gasket because that is what came off. I just wanted to make sure it is okay to stretch it out, as it is slightly too small to fit over the horn. Also, I understand the issue of not cranking down the attaching nuts so as not to crack your ears on the mounting portion of the bowl. Given ALL that, which gasket provides the best seal? And if I go with the sponge/foam gasket, about how much setback from the carrier nipple should I use for the back nuts and washers? About 3/16ths would seem about right to me. i.e. that would be about the amount of nipple I would want seated into the face of the gasket.

Thanks
                            You, NEED to call a plumber.
                            Might cost ya 50-100 bucks.
                            But you don't know what you are doing.
                            Plus if you find a REPUTABLE plumber, he is gonna offer a warranty. That way if it is wrong, he will come make it right for free. And he will have insurance. So if he is wrong, and it ruins anything, it will be fixed free of charge to you.
                            My avatar, is every mans wet dream, don't lie. We all know you ride the bedroom moped

Comment

You think I don't know what Im doing cuz I ask too many questions? With all due respect, I think I kinda know what I'm doing because I ask questions.

I will consider your advice. How do you go about finding a reputable plumber? What questions do I need to ask?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X