wax ring seal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wax ring seal

i may be wrong but bee's wax doen't go rancid nor generate bacteria, etc. that's what i was told many many years ago.

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I think:

Pan = Bowl

Here, wax seal or "ring" goes under the bowl (pan) to make the seal between it and the flange.

Here's a couple of pictures of them.

They come in standard, horned (black plastic guide made into the wax, and jumbo thick with or without horn. And probably different waxy compositions.

We've had rubber type seals available in the U.S. for awhile but it isn't widely adopted to my knowledge.

One, most are resistant to change. Two, sometimes there can be a problem getting that perfect fit with some of the o-ring type seals. And three, I've read the Fernco and other brands that glue on have come loose plus if you go to a toilet that has to be lifted that has a wax seal, you'll never get it to stick properly.

Usually if you keep a couple of different types of wax seals on your truck, you typically will cover most situations. Many other combinations have to be on hand with the non-wax type is my understanding.

Many don't care for the wax ones, and they can be messy at times. But I've also worked on MANY toilets that have been in 30+years, using a wax seal, and no problems.

I get Wax Seals for less than $2.00 also. So there might be a price difference over what you place under your "Pan".

Anyway, hope this helps.

J.C.
      Attached Files

Comment

I've only ever put in one toilet, but the silicone seal I used made easy work of it for a novice. Perfect seal, and won't crack and leak like the one the plumber used on our old john.

Comment

Please report back on it's performance in 30 or so years.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            Every leaking water closet at the flange call I get is either a cracked flange or bad wax. I have never had a leak when I use plumbers putty.

I just pulled a water closet I set about 3 years ago, the putty was not the softest but it still was soft enough. Thing is you have to use a non-drying putty. Reason for pulling the water closet was due to a bottle got flushed and the auger would not hook it.
            the reason flanges break is people over tightening the bolts to get the bowl to stop rocking. i dont believe the wax is bad, a rocking bowl will always leak.
            shim the bowl and use a good wax ring and you will never have a problem!

putty may have another purpose other than strainers faucets ect. but in my opinion its not for toilet seals.

Larry

Comment

Sure, JC, if we're both around, and I still own the house.

Comment

Oh, and for what it's worth, the professional, "to code" job sure didn't last 30 years...

Comment

Originally posted by harper97 View Post
                  Oh, and for what it's worth, the professional, "to code" job sure didn't last 30 years...

A common misconception.
                  Professional=someone that gets paid to do something,
                  Expert=someone that is extremly good at what he does.

Not all professionals are experts.
                  My avatar, is every mans wet dream, don't lie. We all know you ride the bedroom moped

Comment

Originally posted by Rohten View Post
                    A common misconception.
                    Professional=someone that gets paid to do something,
                    Expert=someone that is extremly good at what he does.

Not all professionals are experts.
                    I think you need glasses with regard to your avator and the forum should contribute to the cost?.

Tony

Comment

Here is a of picture of PVC pan collar which we mainly use to connect toilet pans to PVC sewerage pipes in Australia.

Tony
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                        I think you need glasses with regard to your avator and the forum should contribute to the cost?.

Tony
                        There are two kinds of men in this world son. Guys that ride fat chicks, and guys that lie about it. Which are you?

This post is completely on topic
                        My avatar, is every mans wet dream, don't lie. We all know you ride the bedroom moped

Comment

that's pretty much what some of the toto and caroma toilets use.

is that the standard on all of your toilets down under?

do you find that they can hold back the waste water if there's a stoppage down stream? what is the proper height of the seal? is it flush with the floor, or raised above the floor by how much? what do you use if the seal is too low below the floor?

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Rohten, just to clarify (or beat a dead horse if you prefer), this

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/wax-free-toilet-seal

is the seal to which I referred above. Maybe you call it rubber. So building code writers don't like these?

Oops, I just saw it's made of PVC. It feels like the silicone rubber Uniseals I used in my pond filter system.
                            Last edited by harper97; 04-07-2010, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

that's pretty much what some of the toto and caroma toilets use.

is that the standard on all of your toilets down under?

do you find that they can hold back the waste water if there's a stoppage down stream? what is the proper height of the seal? is it flush with the floor, or raised above the floor by how much? what do you use if the seal is too low below the floor?

rick.
                              Yes Rick they are as all plumbing is done with PVC and if we come across earthenware or cast iron we use ferncos to adapt PVC pan collars and other rubber pan connectors to them in Melbourne cast iron is a thing of the past twenty years past and is only found in older houses.
                              You mentioned Caroma well they make the majority of toilet pans whether P or S pans and are all connected with rubber pan collars ther are others bands but all are connected in this way
                              When a blockage occurs the pan can fill with water and not a drop spills out from the rubber seal whether being a P trap through a wall or S trap through the floor, as you can see with the photo the enlarged upper section of the collar about 75mm (3") is raised above the floor and all over toilet pans are disgned to flush with the least amount of water 6/3 Lt so the curviture of the trap in the pan needs the least amount of water to flush away unlike yours which from photos posted hold a lot a water.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X