X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wax ring seal

May have done something stupid. Once I seated the commode on the wax seal, I had to break it. Will it seal, or should I buy a new one? The commode will sit idle for a few hours & will not be used. Much obliged in advance for the help.

Re: wax ring seal

New seal. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by adveritas View Post
      May have done something stupid. Once I seated the commode on the wax seal, I had to break it. Will it seal, or should I buy a new one? The commode will sit idle for a few hours & will not be used. Much obliged in advance for the help.
      wax seal is mush fit when commode {aka throne} is set so yes for the $1.50 for a new wax ring reaplace it or you will be
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Thanks to each of you. Thought that might be the case, so that is three yes's to avoid the head to wall interface. Much obliged again.

Comment

Plumbers used to have to form wax rings from a bucket of wax (that's what I have been told anyways.)

I have "molded" new wax rings before out of one I had to set and pull toilet for whatever reason. Not like a 20 year old ring, but one that is brand new and no reason wasting something that is still good.

Wear latex gloves if yer messing with wax, you'll thank me later
          My avatar, is every mans wet dream, don't lie. We all know you ride the bedroom moped

Comment

I use plumbers putty.. I stay far away from wax.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
              I use plumbers putty.. I stay far away from wax.
              With all due respect, I have NEVER pulled up a toilet where the wax was hard and came out in chunks.

On the other hand, every time I see putty it baffles me as to why it would be used. As it comes out in 2 inch rock hard chunks.
              My avatar, is every mans wet dream, don't lie. We all know you ride the bedroom moped

Comment

Originally posted by Rohten View Post
                With all due respect, I have NEVER pulled up a toilet where the wax was hard and came out in chunks.

On the other hand, every time I see putty it baffles me as to why it would be used. As it comes out in 2 inch rock hard chunks.
                Every leaking water closet at the flange call I get is either a cracked flange or bad wax. I have never had a leak when I use plumbers putty.

I just pulled a water closet I set about 3 years ago, the putty was not the softest but it still was soft enough. Thing is you have to use a non-drying putty. Reason for pulling the water closet was due to a bottle got flushed and the auger would not hook it.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

In a pinch if you are miles from town and the wax ring was just installed with no spares, you can usually (with disposable gloves on) re form the ring into its origional shape and reset the toilet.
                  Last edited by plumb4life; 04-04-2010, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Your always talking about wax seals and all your toilet pans seem to be what we call "S" pans and drain through the floor into a sewerage pipe.
                    Who invented this wax seal and why arn`t they rubber seals which give flexiblity as all ours where I live are rubber seals called pan collars whether through the floor or a "P" pan through a wall.

Tony

Comment

What the hell is a pan

Comment

PAN? Goes under the bed, when there's 4 ft. of snow on the outhouse
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Rohten View Post
                          What the hell is a pan
                          You haven`t forgotten your British heritage have you the toilet is the area or room a pan is located in and a toilet pan is what you crap in and a cistern is what you call the tank that holds the water that flushes the crap away.

Your avator is not your mother is it or someone you know, so don`t take this he wrong way but.

Tony

Comment

AFM like you I am finding it hard to work through the differnece in terminology. Around the world we have silmilarities but terminology does seem to change somwhat.
                            Guys I too am intrigued by the "wax seal" that commonly is referred to. As AFM said we have rubber seals which we refer to with terms you apparently are not familiar with. Can anyone enlighten us both further on these seals

Comment

oz

i went to www.alibaba.com. searched "rubber toilet seals", do not select country.. up popped a lot of pics. some of rubber rings, some of wax rings. i used to see to see rubber rings 50 years ago. was told that the code was changed and we could not use them. ??? who knows? you will have to ask one the old guys. i can see the benefits of each. breid...............

Comment

Working...
                              X