Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky Fire Sprinkler

Hi guys,

I have a leaking fire suppression sprinkler head (the "drop down" type that have a flush plate at the ceiling)in one of my bedrooms. The leak is small. It is filling a 3 gallon bucket underneath it in about 2 or 3 days.

After turning the water off, I tried using adjustable wrench and big pliers to remove the sprinkler head, but to no avail. I've been trying for the last several days to remove it, but no matter the amount of force I apply to loosen the stuck sprinkler head, still nothing. I also used some W40 but it just won't come unscrewed. I don't know what else to do. Please help.

Thank you,
    Ed

Re: Leaky Fire Sprinkler

Call a fire sprinkler company, there is a special stepped wrench that fits on the two different sized shoulders of the head, and allows you to get enough leverage to remove it. I too learned this the hard way trying to replace a blown head at a job. But they had a box with spare heads and the wrench to unscrew them with.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Thanks for reply SR...appreciate it.
      Last edited by ed1; 04-03-2010, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ed1 View Post
        Thanks for reply SR...appreciate it.
        Other option is to see what make your sprinkler head is, and find a place that sells the wrench for that head.

Also WD-40 sucks. Use Pipe Break penatrating oil, or Liquid wrench, there are a few other brands out that that work a lot better than wd 40

Comment

Thanks again SR...I'll go ahead then and get the stuff u suggested. Again, much appreciated.

best,
          Ed
          Last edited by ed1; 04-03-2010, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ed1 View Post
            Thanks again SR...I'll go ahead then and get the stuff u suggested. Again, much appreciated.

best,
            Ed
            Here is a question, I should of asked yesterday. After you turned the water off, did you drain down the fire sprinkler system? If you did not you are trying to unscrew the head while it is under lots of pressure.

I did not ask yesterday since it something I automatically do, but realized that you may not known this lit tid bit. So if you did not drain the system down and release the pressure I give that a try first.

Comment

When you call the sprinkler company be sure to tell them what brand of sprinikler head it is so they will be sure to bring the correct wrench. Not everyone carries an assortment of head wrenches on the truck. Don't bother squirting the pipe threads with anything to make it turn out easier, you just did not have the correct wrench to gain enough leverage on the head.

Also there should be a spare head box located somewhere near the sprinkler riser with extra heads and a wrench. Look for a red metal box about 6" tall and 12" long.

If you are not sure of the head mfg. post a pic and I will ID it for you.

G3
              Last edited by G3sprinklers; 04-04-2010, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                Here is a question, I should of asked yesterday. After you turned the water off, did you drain down the fire sprinkler system? If you did not you are trying to unscrew the head while it is under lots of pressure.

I did not ask yesterday since it something I automatically do, but realized that you may not known this lit tid bit. So if you did not drain the system down and release the pressure I give that a try first.
                SR...I didn't drain the sprinkler system and let me tell you, it was an experience I'll never forget. All that pressurized water came down with such force.....luckily no injuries.

I'm gonna try spraying some of that pipe penetrating oil u suggested and see how it goes....thx again for your help..I can't tell you how much u've helped..seriously...and I ain't just saying, I mean it.

Ed
                Last edited by ed1; 04-04-2010, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                  When you call the sprinkler company be sure to tell them what brand of sprinikler head it is so they will be sure to bring the correct wrench. Not everyone carries an assortment of head wrenches on the truck. Don't bother squirting the pipe threads with anything to make it turn out easier, you just did not have the correct wrench to gain enough leverage on the head.

Also there should be a spare head box located somewhere near the sprinkler riser with extra heads and a wrench. Look for a red metal box about 6" tall and 12" long.

If you are not sure of the head mfg. post a pic and I will ID it for you.

G3
                  G3, I found the box with 3 spare (TY2596) heads in it...no wrench though. Thanks a lot. Had no idea.

Ed
                  Last edited by ed1; 04-04-2010, 04:26 PM.

Comment

If your piping is cpvc (will be a bright orange in color) do not use the spray oil on it, not good for the pipe at all. Plus the oil will not get into the threads really, just think about it, if the threads are holding pressure on the inside of the fitting and not letting it pass through it will not let it pass through from the outside.

Borrow, buy or make the correct wrench to fit the head, it is just about the only way you can change them out.

The wrench will look somewhat like a "cup", no handle, will need a 1/2" drive ratchet to turn it with.

Again if you will post a pic I will ID the head and can put you on the right track for a wrench. Some can be made out of 1 1/2" pipe very easily. Some of the wrenchs grab on the square base of the brass head itself and others have two lugs that engage into the steel cup surrounding the brass head, depending on how old the heads are there could be an array of wrenchs that will fit.

Good luck with it

G3

Comment

DUH.......... just reread your post. the part number you gave TY2596 is a Tyco (Grinnell) head

Here is a link to the tech data sheet for that head and you can see on page 3 of 6 what the wrench looks like.

http://www.tyco-fire.com/index.php?P...TFP440_05_2008

You might be able to get a deep well socket to fit onto the wrench flats if you have one or could borrow one. I dought that you will ever get it to turn out otherwise.

Just call up who ever installed the system and they can change it out pretty quick, should cost around $130 (at least that is about what I would charge). You have already done the hardest part, getting the water out of the system.

Be careful trying to wrench on the head if it is plastic pipe, could crack the pipe or fitting if you get it in a bind.
                      Last edited by G3sprinklers; 04-05-2010, 12:43 PM.

Comment

G3....thx for the link to the tech data sheet and advice. I tried pipe penetrating oil and a deep well socket, (as u and SR suggested)..it didn't work. I have no choice at this point but call for help.

Thanks for helping me out with this. I really appreciate it.

best,
                        Ed

Comment

Working...
                        X