Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Backup Sump Pump Help

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
    Thanks for the support on my post there Post Plumber. I have one question for you though. When did Illinois approve the water powered backup pump? Every continued education class I took that was taught by a state inspector I was told they are not approved. One of the reasons is due to the fact an RPZ is required for the install. The other us the amount of water it takes to pump the pit. Another reason give was they have seen a few of these fail and cause more damage due to flooding from the water supply. Then he mentioned it not meeting a few approvals required by the state.
    I just noticed this thread and need to put in my 2 cents, while not looking for a fight , the only stand by pump we install is water powered.

Here in the great State of Michigan water powered pumps are allowed, but of course with a proper backflow preventor. Some places a Watts 9d is ok, other places require an rpz. We only use the Guardian as it is a quality product but expensive. Our installed price is usually somewhere around $1200-1500. A battery powered pump, to me, is a waste of money due to limited run time and other problems. Of course if you are not on city water then their is no choice, but for the most part water powered means it should run as long as the city is producing water pressure.

The customer has to balance out what things are worth to them when considering a BU pump.

I had a call Friday from a water remediation company who was in a customer's basement that had recently flooded due to sump pump failure. She had no back-up pump and not enough insurance coverage for the $10,000 bill she was looking at to get rid of the mold and other damage that the flooding caused. She had been out of town and we had just finished about a week's worth of rain when she came home to 2-3 feet of water in the basement.

I know that a water pump would have prevented that but I doubt that a battery would have lasted long enough. All the alarms in the world are useless if no one is there to react. I advise people that if they have security alarms they should have them wired to notify about sump pump failure and/ or water on the floor. The last people I suggested that to stated that they didn't want to spend the extra money, even though they are leaving the country for two weeks and are worried that there BU pump may not work.

Any how regardless of Illinois code I belive that except for well systems the only way to go is a water BU pump.

Comment

Originally posted by firefighter5143 View Post
      SewerRatz thank you for your opinions and help.

Ok so i'll scratch the wayne idea.

You asked how much my items I want to protect are worth? Not much. I'm protecting a unfinished basement. But in the same token I don't to have to deal with a massive water problem should the primary fail or the power goes out.

The longest the home is unattended is 1 hour a day so if the power goes out I need to depend on this unit for one hour until someone starts the generator. If the main pump fails then I would need to rely on it for a little longer until I replace it.

I won't live in this home for more than 3 years so I don't need a lifetime product but I want a decent one.

Am I off my rocker thinking $225-$250 I can get a ok unit? How much does a PHCC 2400 cost?
      Well if you want to spend around $225 or so, you can go with the Basement Watchdog Special http://www.basementwatchdog.com/base...og_special.htm It is a very decent unit, its not an AC / DC pump and uses a trickle charger to keep the battery charged so when it runs it will run off the battery. Also it does not run a self test. You should go down and press the test/ reset button once a month to ensure the pump is working.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      Ron's Facebook
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post
        I just noticed this thread and need to put in my 2 cents, while not looking for a fight , the only stand by pump we install is water powered.

Here in the great State of Michigan water powered pumps are allowed, but of course with a proper backflow preventor. Some places a Watts 9d is ok, other places require an rpz. We only use the Guardian as it is a quality product but expensive. Our installed price is usually somewhere around $1200-1500. A battery powered pump, to me, is a waste of money due to limited run time and other problems. Of course if you are not on city water then their is no choice, but for the most part water powered means it should run as long as the city is producing water pressure.

The customer has to balance out what things are worth to them when considering a BU pump.

I had a call Friday from a water remediation company who was in a customer's basement that had recently flooded due to sump pump failure. She had no back-up pump and not enough insurance coverage for the $10,000 bill she was looking at to get rid of the mold and other damage that the flooding caused. She had been out of town and we had just finished about a week's worth of rain when she came home to 2-3 feet of water in the basement.

I know that a water pump would have prevented that but I doubt that a battery would have lasted long enough. All the alarms in the world are useless if no one is there to react. I advise people that if they have security alarms they should have them wired to notify about sump pump failure and/ or water on the floor. The last people I suggested that to stated that they didn't want to spend the extra money, even though they are leaving the country for two weeks and are worried that there BU pump may not work.

Any how regardless of Illinois code I belive that except for well systems the only way to go is a water BU pump.
        I can show you a few places that flooded out with water backup pumps due to the back up pump breaking at the switch and flooding the basement with potable water.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        Ron's Facebook
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          I can show you a few places that flooded out with water backup pumps due to the back up pump breaking at the switch and flooding the basement with potable water.
          So you dont recommend water supplied pumps,Can these pumps be supplied by 1/2" pipe,Thank you for the info.

Comment

Only back-up pumps we install are water driven.

I want no parts of the battery types.

Just a personal preference.

Comment

Working...
            X