X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Sump Pump Help

I have noticed during times of heavy rain or snow melting my sump pump will run about every 2 min. I think I need a backup before the 1st one fails, the power goes out, or I'm not home to start up the generator.

I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice about differnt back up options.

Also the sump pump that is currently in the tank is a Zoeller m72 .3 hp is this a good reliable pump or some piece of crap the builder installed?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Backup Sump Pump Help

Originally posted by firefighter5143 View Post
    I have noticed during times of heavy rain or snow melting my sump pump will run about every 2 min. I think I need a backup before the 1st one fails, the power goes out, or I'm not home to start up the generator.

Also the sump pump that is currently in the tank is a Zoeller m72 .3 hp is this a good reliable pump or some piece of crap the builder installed?

Thanks in advance.
    I am not a big fan of the M-72, If I have to install a Zoeller sump pump it is a M-53 1/3 hp and if a 1/2 hp unit is needed then we go with a M-98.

As for battery back up pumps. I sell and install the Basement Watchdog PHCC Pro series battery back up systems. Here is the link to their website. http://www.proseriespumps.com/backup_sump_pump_2400.htm

Other guys around here like the Aqua-not system Zoeller has acquired them and here is the link to their product. http://www.zoeller.com/Zcopump/Produ...ms/aquanot.htm

The last system is the Sump Pro system which uses two batteries and a power inverter, you plug an a/c pump into this unit. Only mistake people make with this system is the opt for just the system and not a second pump. ideally you want to have two pumps in the pit one on the back up system this way if your primary pump burns out, gets unplugged the back up pump will kick in. Their higher end unit accommodates two pumps with an alternator. What that means is when the switch is activated the system will alternate which pump does the pumping. This way they both get use and the chances of one of them freezing up due to lack of use is ruled out. http://www.sumpro.com/

The reason I like the Basement watchdog systems it has multiple alarms that monitor the battery, test runs the back up pump and will sound a alarm if there is trouble along with a few other alarms.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Thanks in advance.
      as ron said the the zoeller m-53 1/3 horse pump is a great pump and the m 97 I also .I would go with the Basement Watchdog PHCC Pro series battery back up systems that ron rec. or the Aqua-not system by Zoeller just for the fact that the sump pro is well over $1300 not including install and thats close to our coast .the one bake up pump that I have installed and have had good feedback on was the Water powered emergency backup sump pump system
      http://www.zoellerpumps.com/ProductB...x?ProductID=65

as long as you have city water suplly and not a well . If you have a well forget it
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

thanks for the input so far. Here is another question. I have a upc battery backup from a computer that I don't use anymore. Is this acceptable to use for a sump pump?

2nd my pit isn't wide enough to install two pumps side by side but they can go on top of each other. If I installed a 2nd pump over the first one and the 1st one failed the water would then rise completly over the 1st pump before activating the 2nd pump. Is the m72 pump water proof so that I don't create a short circuit by submerging the pump completly under water?

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
          as ron said the the zoeller m-53 1/3 horse pump is a great pump and the m 97 I also .I would go with the Basement Watchdog PHCC Pro series battery back up systems that ron rec. or the Aqua-not system by Zoeller just for the fact that the sump pro is well over $1300 not including install and thats close to our coast .the one bake up pump that I have installed and have had good feedback on was the Water powered emergency backup sump pump system
          http://www.zoellerpumps.com/ProductB...x?ProductID=65

as long as you have city water suplly and not a well . If you have a well forget it
          Thanks for the support on my post there Post Plumber. I have one question for you though. When did Illinois approve the water powered backup pump? Every continued education class I took that was taught by a state inspector I was told they are not approved. One of the reasons is due to the fact an RPZ is required for the install. The other us the amount of water it takes to pump the pit. Another reason give was they have seen a few of these fail and cause more damage due to flooding from the water supply. Then he mentioned it not meeting a few approvals required by the state.

Comment

thanks for the input so far. Here is another question. I have a upc battery backup from a computer that I don't use anymore. Is this acceptable to use for a sump pump?

2nd my pit isn't wide enough to install two pumps side by side but they can go on top of each other. If I installed a 2nd pump over the first one and the 1st one failed the water would then rise completly over the 1st pump before activating the 2nd pump. Is the m72 pump water proof so that I don't create a short circuit by submerging the pump completly under water?
            If you go with a PHCC Pro 2400 it will sit next to a primary pump even in an 18" pit. You can stack them if you do not want to try to get it to fit, the Zoeller can be submerged, and the switch for the back up pump can be placed any where in the pit making the adjustment of its turn on level pretty easy. But to be honest I would try to get the back up pump installed right next to the primary pump and set the back up switch to turn on two the three inches higher than the Zoeller turn on point.

Comment

I kind of like the idea of keeping the back up pump out of the water until needed. I feel that it will last longer that way.

What about pedistal pumps. Seems like when I was growing up this is all I rememeber seeing in my parents home. Seems like this would be a better idea keeping everything out of the water.

Comment

I kind of like the idea of keeping the back up pump out of the water until needed. I feel that it will last longer that way.

What about pedistal pumps. Seems like when I was growing up this is all I rememeber seeing in my parents home. Seems like this would be a better idea keeping everything out of the water.
                The Aquanot battery back up system is a pedestal pump. As for a primary pump that is a pedestal, if you want to spend some $$$ the best are Tramco, Swaby and Weil. Other than that the others I have seen I am unimpressed with the quality and performance.
                Last edited by SewerRatz; 04-09-2010, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  Thanks for the support on my post there Post Plumber. I have one question for you though. When did Illinois approve the water powered backup pump? Every continued education class I took that was taught by a state inspector I was told they are not approved. One of the reasons is due to the fact an RPZ is required for the install. The other us the amount of water it takes to pump the pit. Another reason give was they have seen a few of these fail and cause more damage due to flooding from the water supply. Then he mentioned it not meeting a few approvals required by the state.
                  to tell you the trouth I did not realize they were agenst coed but now I know . As for install we allways used a double check valve on them and have not had one fail yet not yet any why .As for water used its 2 gall. pumped 1 gall. used.Small price to pay when you have no power for more than 3 days . But zoeller I think makes a grate pump
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                    to tell you the trouth I did not realize they were agenst coed but now I know . As for install we allways used a double check valve on them and have not had one fail yet not yet any why .As for water used its 2 gall. pumped 1 gall. used.Small price to pay when you have no power for more than 3 days . But zoeller I think makes a grate pump
                    Back in 1998 I think that year is right might of been 1996... anyways Naperville got flooded real bad. Was 16" of rain in an hour. There where streets where the cars parked on the street where under water. Well about a week before the flood I sold a lady on a Basement watchdog unit(Granddad of the PHCC PRO both made by Glentronics). Now Basement watchdog says they will give you 7 1/2 hours of continuous pump time. We all know the pumps do not run nonstop, they cycle on and off. Now a week after I installed this the huge rain comes knocks out the power. I get a call from this nice lady telling me her power has been out for three days and the alarm on the unit that warns about the battery being discharged just went off( It alarms when there is only 3 hours left) . So I come over to her home with a fresh battery, the neat thing is they ship their batteries dry, you have to pour in the acid when you are ready to use them. Once the acid is poured in the battery is approximately 80% charged. As I am walking down her basement stairs with the new battery with acid in it the power came back on. Talk about luck eh? She still bought the battery and I installed it piggy backed to the original which doubles the pumping capacity.

Just to say I have been sold on the Glentronics products ever since. They came out with the PHCC Pro units which fixed some of the quirks the Basement Watchdogs had. Added a few features, and gave it a longer standard warranty since it does have the PHCC approval and is only sold by contractors.

Comment

you know its interesting I worked for R Carrozza plumbing for 11 years doing service for them mostly in res. condos and high rise buildings in city and north , north west suberbs .In that time I did work in res. houses when they called . To get to the point I havnt put in that many battery backups and the most that I did there were sump pros and two or three years ago when that big storm riped thrugh Park Ridge Mt Prospect area and they where out of power for more then a weak 2 out of 3 of the owners of Carrozza also the battery backups lasted 2 to 3 days so one of the owners bought some of the water pumps and on from there P.R. Inspector just wanted double checks on water line but I have installed 2 PHCC pros last year also because not evary on can $$$ for sump pro
                      but Ron trully thanks for all the great info
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Ok so back on this topic. After researching that there is a wide range of pricing on these products. from $100 - $1,000's. I think that I have decided I am willing to spend in the $225 - $250 range for the unit plus whatever a battery will cost.

Shopping @ my local retail stores I have seen the wayne esp25. Anybody have any input on that particular unit?

I always for supporting the little guy. Are any of you guys dealers of these products and do you have anything that fits my budget?

Comment

Ok so back on this topic. After researching that there is a wide range of pricing on these products. from $100 - $1,000's. I think that I have decided I am willing to spend in the $225 - $250 range for the unit plus whatever a battery will cost.

Shopping @ my local retail stores I have seen the wayne esp25. Anybody have any input on that particular unit?

I always for supporting the little guy. Are any of you guys dealers of these products and do you have anything that fits my budget?

The Wayne back up pumps = junk. The way I tell people that are concerned with the cost of a back up system. I ask them how much is the items they are trying to protect worth to them? Yes you can buy a cheaper system and it may work from the start, but one day down the road it will fail and cause you much grief.

The reason I like the PHCC 2400 back up pump is it checks itself on a regaler basis. If there is something wrong with the battery it will sound an alarm, if the backup pump draws to much current or does not run during the test it will sound the alarm. It also has terminals to hook up an auto dialer or to an alarm system like ADT.

The key to having a back up system is piece of mind.

Comment

SewerRatz thank you for your opinions and help.

Ok so i'll scratch the wayne idea.

You asked how much my items I want to protect are worth? Not much. I'm protecting a unfinished basement. But in the same token I don't to have to deal with a massive water problem should the primary fail or the power goes out.

The longest the home is unattended is 1 hour a day so if the power goes out I need to depend on this unit for one hour until someone starts the generator. If the main pump fails then I would need to rely on it for a little longer until I replace it.

I won't live in this home for more than 3 years so I don't need a lifetime product but I want a decent one.

Am I off my rocker thinking $225-$250 I can get a ok unit? How much does a PHCC 2400 cost?

Comment

SewerRatz are you still with me on this one?

Comment

Working...
                              X