X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you indentify this toilet part?

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Borgen/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]Last night our toilet was plugged up and as it has repeatedly in the past few years. Before taking it off I tried unplugging it with a toilet snake and it became stuck inside the toilet. I took the toilet outside. Using a water hose, various tools/gadgets, I scraped off lots of hard water sentiment deposits from the inside as best as I could. I then flushed a wad of facial tissue one of the kids must of tried flushing down that became lodged in the restricted water channel. After doing this I was skeptical that this was my only problem(s) so I repeatedly filled the tank with the hose and flushed it outside about 5 times and it worked like new. This morning I went to town to pick up a wax ring and proceeded to install it again. When I finished tightening the toilet base mount nuts seating the new wax ring I noticed another part on the counter. I called my wife because I did not notice this part last night. She said it was laying on the floor after I carried out the toilet. I tried to upload a picture of this part on the link below (hope it works). Anyway does anyone know what this part is for? Do I need to take the toilet back off and install it somewhere underneath ruining my new wax ring in the process? Also when using the snake inside the bowl I messed up the finish badly rubbing the metal snake against the porcelain finish. Is there something that will clean this up?

Thanks in advance,
    weekendwarrior

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10605&stc=1&d=12710844 64

https://www.ridgidforum.com/filedata/fetch?id=632897

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Borgen/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
    Attached Files

Re: Can you indentify this toilet part?

it kind of looks like a screw in part for the supply tube......? I don't think it is, what brand of toilet do you have and how old approx. how old is it?
    Last edited by DanLawrence; 04-12-2010, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Hi DanLawrence,

It's a Kohler that was put installed in 2000. The part is hollow inside but the end facing the camera is formed sealed with a small washer.

Comment

It looks all most like a broken end of a ballcock valve....I am still not sure is your toilet a San Raphael style toilet?
        Last edited by DanLawrence; 04-12-2010, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Did you have to change the supply stop when you replaced the toilet ?
          To me it looks like a broken supply stem ..

Pumice stone or plumbers sand cloth will rub out the scratches

Comment

I'm not sure what a San Raphael style toilet is but here is a picture of it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwarrior View Post
              I'm not sure what a San Raphael style toilet is but here is a picture of it.

So therefore no it's not

Comment

Hi DELCASE,

All I did is turn off the water supply valve and unscrew the plastic fitting that attaches the water supply to the underside of the tank. Then take the anchor nuts for the toilet base and pull the toilet off the wax ring. I'm beginning to wonder if one of the kids dropped this thing (whatever it is) on the floor when I was outside. As long as anyone would know that it doesn't belong somewhere on the underside of the base, I shouldn't have to pull the toilet off again and wreck the new wax ring.

Thanks again,
                weekendwarrior

Comment

Looks like the piece they put in the bottom shank of some Fluidmasters to me.

J.C.

Comment

it's the flow limiter/ sound deadner that fluidmaster uses on their kohler, american standard, and pro series ballcocks.

honestly leav it out of the shank of the ballcock as it's been know to swell and cause the toilet to fill slow.

the newer ones are no longer rubber, but a plastic design that has a prefilter in it.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      it's the flow limiter/ sound deadner that fluidmaster uses on their kohler, american standard, and pro series ballcocks.

honestly leav it out of the shank of the ballcock as it's been know to swell and cause the toilet to fill slow.

the newer ones are no longer rubber, but a plastic design that has a prefilter in it.

rick.
                      Rick I agree totaly with you that is what that part looks like . It goes inside the fluid master at the underside to slow the water flow down for noise I have had to remove a lot of them in older kohler toilets
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

post plumber and PLUMBER RICK,

the shank of the ballcock / It goes inside the fluid master at the underside
                        In layman's terms, just exactly where does this part belong? Did it come from inside the water supply line fitting that I disconnected from under the tank reservoir or from under the toilet base? Either way you're saying to just leave it out right?

Comment

the restrictor originally was factory installed inside the shank of the ballcock. this is the threaded section that goes through the toilet tank and gets tightened to the the tank. it's also where the water connector connects to . it's approx. 2'' long x 7/8'' diameter and is continually threaded its entire length.

don't reinstall it as it's already swollen and will restrict the flow too much. the standard fluidmasters don't come with them. the newer design is a plastic material and should be more trouble free.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

PLUMBER RICK,

The part on mine is made of plastic, not rubber. So do you think I should still leave it out or put it back in? If I were to put it back in which direction should the open end go, up or down? The little washer is on the opposite end of the open end.

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwarrior View Post
                              PLUMBER RICK,

The part on mine is made of plastic, not rubber. So do you think I should still leave it out or put it back in? If I were to put it back in which direction should the open end go, up or down? The little washer is on the opposite end of the open end.

that's actually the rubber one

i wouldn't reinstall it. but if you do, the stainless washer on the end goes in first/ up.

it's just going to give you long fill times.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X