X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting ABS pipe

Hope someone can give me some info on the best way to fit some ABS vents. I have some experience on simple pipe runs, but I have one spot where five pipes will converge. The problem I think I'll have is gluing one of the pipes and giving it a 1/4 turn.

I am remodeling two back to back upstairs bathrooms which are directly above a third bathroom. I'm replacing all the ABS due to bad pipe from the 80's.

In the wet wall I will have a double san tee combined with a single san tee. There will be two 2" vents rising from the lower bath room into these tees. There will be two 1.5" vents laterally on the sides of the tees and a 2" vent rising to the attic roof. I will be dry fitting all the pipe and fittings. But, I'm concerned that I'll have difficulty with one of the 2" pipes rising from the lower bath. Once I glue one of the 2" pipes to the combined san tees, I may not be able to fit in the other 2" pipe let alone glue and 1/4 turn.

I thought about holding off on combining the two san tees, which may give me some room to fit the pipes. This will leave the just a short pipe to insert into the hubs and combine the two san tees. This would bring both san tee hubs together and I wouldn't be able to do a 1/4 turn.

Is this a common situation? Is there a time when you just can't do a 1/4 turn and you just more glue? Any tips on how to best accomplish this?

Thanks.
    Rick

Re: Fitting ABS pipe

most all the time you should be able to pipe in prime, glue and 1/4 turn on pvc, abs and some times in a tight spot you just cant turn pipe 1/4 turn . Make sure its just primed and glued good and try if you can to keep it on the vent side and you will be ok .There have been a few times in sevice app. where it was to tight and I was not able to get that last ftg. a 1/4 turn and it was ok so dont wory just dont do it all the time & good luck
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Post Plumber,
      Thanks for the quick reply. I agree that there will be some places, not many, where you just have to glue and stick without the turn.

Comment

I'm not a plumber, however, what I found helpful when you can't twist ABS fittings into place is to push the fitting in and pull it out a bit then push it again. Just watch out that you can push it into its final position with your final push in. Works for me...better than just pushing it in and hoping for the best.

Comment

How about using a Fernco on the last piece going in. Use it on the vent side. Adds a couple of bucks to the job but is easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
            I'm not a plumber, however, what I found helpful when you can't twist ABS fittings into place is to push the fitting in and pull it out a bit then push it again. Just watch out that you can push it into its final position with your final push in. Works for me...better than just pushing it in and hoping for the best.

Not a bad idea in theory but the problem is when you do that you run the risk of dirt or debris getting mixed up in you glue.

Comment

Yes. I would be concerned about debris getting into the glue joint that way. These are vents so there probably wont be a big leak factor. However, I still have to test the system when my rough inspection takes place and for that I will be loading the entire system with water. A leak would be apparent at that point. I think the purpose of the 1/4 turn is to make sure that glue is spread completely around the joint. So, being careful to apply glue around the entire pipe and then the inside of the fitting should make a secure weld.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                The only problem with that is when you first insert the pipe then remove it you take the chance of pushing the glue out when inserting the pipe again . The idea sounds good but in my opinion it would do more damage then good .
                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Just to carify, what I meant by: "push the fitting in and pull it out a bit then push it again" by only 1/8" or MAX 1/4". Just enought o spread/movethe glue around. I'm not talking about pulling the whole joint apart. In any event, I understand the dirt contamination issue...be very careful if you try this.

Comment

Another trick that can help glue distribution without the benifit of the 1/4 twist is to bevel the pipe end with a course file which will allow the glue to spin into the joint and not simply be wiped off. That tactic is recommended for large bore pvc pressure pipe.

Comment

Hi everyone,
                      I hoping to get some advice on how to fit these ABS pipes and fittings. As I explained earlier, I'm concerned about not being able to do a 1/4 turn. All the pipes shown are vents. The two 2" coming up are for the toilets, the 1 1/2" on the left vents the two lavs and the 1 1/2" on the right vents the shower and the shower/tub. This is a view in the 2nd floor bathroom. The photo is old as I've already removed the pipes and fittings, and now I'm ready to reinstall. I would like some advice on what to glue first, second, third, etc. Should I first assemble the two fittings? And, then glue in the pipes? I have the two 2" pipe stubbed up from the sole plate now. I'll need to put couplings on those with short sections of pipe before they go into the fittings. I think there will be some pipes that I won't be able to turn after gluing.
                      Thanks.
                      Rick
                      Attached Files

Comment

rick keep in mind that the vent is not a pressure pipe system. realistically the only time you will have any pressure in it is during the waste and vent test and typically the most is the static head pressure through the roof.

so don't overthink the fact that some fittings you won't be able to rotate the glue.

but the order you go is the 2- 2'' vent risers with the cross and the san tee already assembled. cut the 2-2'' to the right height to match the cross and san tee offset. the 2- 1.5'' horizontals offsets will be the last connection as there is plenty of play left to right. so glue the 90 and the horizontal together before you glue to the cross/ tee. the vent riser to the roof can be done last once all is secured and leveled off.

the key is fresh glue and no movement or jarring until set and dried.

don't drill too tight on the studs as the plastic will want to grow and shrink based on temperature.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,
                          Thanks for the quick reply. I was about to do just as you described and now, after your reply, I feel more confident.
                          Rick

Comment

Working...
                          X