Is this a PRV?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a PRV?

I'm working on a problem for a friend. House is 15 years old, in a tract development on a hill. Static water pressure (measured at a hose bibb) is a hair over 40 PSI but drops way off with hose running -- volume is low at all exteriour hose bibbs, making portable sprinkler operation impossible. The lavs, showers, sink seem OK.

The neighbor says that originally the tract had 80 PSI and "everyone had PRVs". Later, the system pressure was lowered to 50 PSI, and neighbor had his PRV removed. I have not checked pressure at neighbor's hose bibbs to verify that 50 PSI is available.

I thought I knew what a PRV looks like, but this is what I see in the meter box. Can't get a good look at it without shovel work (which I will do, later). Looks like a hex plug or nut on the far end, and discharge is downward (?).

(click on any image for much larger pic)
    Last edited by asavage; 04-16-2010, 01:08 PM. Reason: Replaced vague pronouns, added email subscription to thread.
    Regards,
    Al S.

Re: Is this a PRV?

I cannot open your pics to see!

Comment

I'm guessing it's a dual check instead.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

It looks a bit short for a dual check. The body is only a smidge over 2" long. I'm not finding a pic of a dual check that has a side discharge; is that a possibility?
        Regards,
        Al S.

Comment

Definitely not a prv, looks like a check valve, not sure if its double check though, looks a bit short.
          Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
          Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Looks like the outlet check on a meter yolk.

J.C.

Comment

Are there meter outlet check valves with a side discharge?
              Regards,
              Al S.

Comment

kind of looks like a strainer
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Does indeed look like the strainer shown by "MoJourneyman" and mounted upside down. But why a stainer after a water meter? David

Comment

OPEN YOUR EYES ! Port townsend slug !
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                      kind of looks like a strainer
                      Where, and when would You install one of these, please
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Tool, those pics are at a house in Duvall, about 63 miles and a ferry ride from Townsend, but your point is taken

I plan on excavating the box & meter next weekend, and getting a better look at this thing. I'll probably disconnect it and do a flow test at the meter next. Stay tuned, at this Bat Time, this Bat Channel (for those of you old enough to remember watching BatMan when it wasn't in re-runs).
                        Regards,
                        Al S.

Comment

It really does just look like the check on a meter yoke/setter with an electronic reader. Shouldn't be affecting pressures. You can even straight line in the box to confirm this. But I'm not sure you should be messing with it.

Call the city.

No resolution. Then call a plumber.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

I install them right before an RPZ or double check to keep junk "small stones/grit" from getting caught in the checks.

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            Where, and when would You install one of these, please
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by asavage View Post
                              Tool, those pics are at a house in Duvall, about 63 miles and a ferry ride from Townsend, but your point is taken

I plan on excavating the box & meter next weekend, and getting a better look at this thing. I'll probably disconnect it and do a flow test at the meter next. Stay tuned, at this Bat Time, this Bat Channel (for those of you old enough to remember watching BatMan when it wasn't in re-runs).
                              My Son in Law is a plumber and lives in Duvall " The Plumber Drummer " www.earthheat.com

Comment

Working...
                              X