Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member, Serious Problem

Hello guys,

This is my first time coming to the forum, I am in quite a pinch right now.

A few days ago my sewer started backing up into my showers, not raw sewage, but dirt. Last year I took a big tree out of the yard fo or fear of it growing into my 70 year old sewer. I bought the house last January, I feel like i bought a house that was forclosed on because of the number of issues that we have had, but that is another issue in its own.

When the sewer started backing up I dumped some Root-X down my cleanout and let it sit for the reccomended 6 hours before using any water. The next day it backed up again into the shower, but worse. We tried snaking it last night, we got about 6 feet into the cleanout and my fiance couldnt get any deeper. Today I went home to have a meeting with a contractor for some yard work, when I looked down the clean out I noticed about a half a dozen rocks, big rocks.

Most of the rocks are probably 2-3 inches in diameter, the previous owner filled the yard with rocks so that he wouldnt have to take care of his lawn. I think that when he dumped the rocks int he yard, a good number of them wound up in the cleanout. So my question is this..

If there are more than say 10 rocks, do you think I will have to have my sewer replaced?

Is there any tool that might allow me to reach underground and pull the rocks out without having to dig the line up?

Do you think I am just SOL, and get to have my whole yard pulled up by an excavator?

Thanks for reading my rant, looking forward to hearing your opinions.
    - Cathy

Re: New Member, Serious Problem

It depends how many rocks, what size, etc, but it's likely they can be either removed or pushed out to the main.

Get someone with a camera, a jetter, a good sized snake, and a pumper truck. My thought would be to use the pumper truck with a 2" tiger tail on the hose to grab everything you can from the cleanout, then camera and see what's left and either jet or snake to remove those or push them on out.

Call around and get some references from friends and neighbors before settling on the right company. These kinds of jobs have a high potential to be 'upsold' to a line replacement which isn't really needed, though you might find that your line is in poor enough shape that it ought to be replaced anyway.

Replacing the line is enough $ and enough disruption that it is probably money well spent to see if it can be addressed another way. Find an experienced honest company to work with. Even if they don't have all the equipment mentioned above, the right guys will have people they use for those services they don't provide.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, the only person that I have found so far is going to come look at it in an hour or so. I live in a small town in Wyoming, we don't have acess to many options. If I want special equipment, I have to bring it in from Montana. I don't think that the rocks are moveable, they seem to be pretty compact, when I go home tonight we are going to try using a shop-vac with an adapter to get full suction out of the line and see if I can displace some fo the rocks. The goal is to get as many out as I possibly can and hope that they will wash down the line.

One of the major concerns is that our sewer line from the house is made out of Orangeburg, that and a large tree added together, plus rocks could be a huge mess. The tree had been there for about 60 years, , the main trunk was only about 20 feet away from my sewer line, I am worried that the rocks just agitated the situation that is the tree roots and orangeburg. Wish me luck!

Comment

With the line being orangeburg
        Dont waste the extra money for some one to run a camera through the line to tell you it needs to be replaced
        Let some one rod it out to get it going
        And start saving for the replacement

Comment

Agree ; orangeburg=replace

You on town sewer? or septic?
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

If your sewer line is backing up because of roots you need to have them snaked or jetted first to remove the blockage. Then apply RootX with in the first hour after mechanically cutting them. Remember RootX is not a clog remover it takes several weeks to a few months for the dead roots to break down by way of the bacteria in the pipe and to wash out.

Comment

In town, city sewer, having the digging start on Thursday. There isnt really anything that I can do, I can't have it jetted, the rocks won't go anywhere witht eh orangeburg, if anything they will just tear a gaping hole in it. I guess I get to shower at my gym tonight since I can't shower at my own home. No use in saving for it, this is happening right now.. I can't live in a house that backs up if I put more than 5 gallons of water down the drain.. Thanks for your opinions guys.

Comment

You are doing the right thing
                Orangeburg always = replace
                ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Well the work has started, once the hole was dug we found a 70 year old water line into the house, we are updating that also. For it to be up to codee my hole is going to have to double in size, because the house was built int he 40's , things were installed under 40's standards, the sewer and water line are less than a foot from eachother, now code states that they have to be at least 10 feet apart, so we are re routing the water line. The plumber is also replacing our connection to the house, it was old cast iron and rusty, ohhh and leaky.. yum..

I will post a picture later that I think you experts will enjoy.. it seems that the previous homeowner had his own ideas about proper pulmbing. It is really upsetting, I think I am going to leave the "creation" that he left attatched to this sewer line to his new home and leave it in his front yard.

To describe it best, he added a cleanout(that the 4 year olds threw rocks down) by cutting a hole in the top of the orangeburg, setting a peice of 4 inch ss40 PVC on top, and then backfilled around the "joint" with concrete.. really a new way to look at plumbing, I am sure you will enjoy the picture. - Cathy

Comment

Working...
                  X