Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast Iron Nightmare...I think

Help me....

Piping: 52 year old Cast Iron, residential house, san diego, ca

The drains started backing up slowly. They were fine when I moved in, but a day or two of a few people using them they started backing up. Some water would be sitting at the bottom of shower by the time you were done. It would eventually go down though. I would hear gurgling from one toilet during my shower. Things of that nature.

I first got it “snaked” professionally and that seemed to clear the drain… for at least a week or two. I had borrowed a mini sewer cam from a friend and put it down the main bathroom where the toilet sits. Low and behold I found roots about 5feet down the pipe. I had the plumber come back and I showed him what I had found. He said that hydro-jetting would cut the roots away. He then hydro-jetted it. That night I put the camera down again and I still saw some roots, not many but they were still there. He then came back and did the hyrdo-jetter again but this time used the head with chains on the end. He said this would definitely take care of it.

I put the camera down it again and I definitely could not find anymore roots. I did however find a large amount of sediment of some sort. It looked like small rocks or metal pieces. The plumber said I had a cracked pipe and I was seeing mud from the ground coming up. It seemed like an awful lot of stuff to come in from a crack, and most of it looked like rocks or metal pieces. The plumber is now recommending I replace about 5-8 feet of pipe underneath my house in the concrete slab. L

Wait there’s more…

The other problem I did find is where the roots were is where another pipe is coming in. ( I think they call this a side saddle or something.) The people who did this (before my time) did not use the right fitting because the pipe that goes into the main is sticking into the pipe probably 1.5” and making the inner diameter of the main pipe a lot smaller in that area. This makes getting cameras and such past this a little difficult but still doable.

To top it off, my mother's advice to me was to marry a plumber and maybe i wouldn't have all these issues.

I have many questions, but any advice you guys have will be ever so grateful.

All this sediment I am seeing, is that normal to see after hydro-jetting? Does this mean for sure I have a crack in my pipe? Is it the lining of old cast iron pipes that I’m seeing and how do I flush it down?

Regarding this Side Saddle:
    How in the world can I fix this? It looks like its ABS/PVC pipe that is intruding into the cast iron. It’s exactly where the roots are, but now the roots are gone. Has anyone ever seen something like this done?

I have the video of my pipes so maybe I can attach it to this post. The monitor did not have recording options so I had to do it with an external camera. Sorry for the poor quality.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

~Distressed new homeowner looking for her Plumber to ride in on a white horse! Ha,ha.

Re: Cast Iron Nightmare...I think

dear damsel in distress

my wife found me first

could not see any photos yet

could the metal/ scale be from the chain cutter knocking off the rust deposits

post some photos and we can take a good look at it.

i do have some contacts in san diego and i do get there a few times a year for some projects i'm looking at.

i'm more concerned with the saddle type connection you're referring to.

post the photos and i would think we can solve it

you should have married a plumber

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

maintain the line with a product called ROOT-X once a year. I would not fix it unless the problem appears again

now that I see the video I changed my mind, Time to dig
      Last edited by plumberinlaw; 04-21-2010, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PipeNightmare View Post
        Regarding this Side Saddle:
        How in the world can I fix this? It looks like its ABS/PVC pipe that is intruding into the cast iron. It’s exactly where the roots are, but now the roots are gone. Has anyone ever seen something like this done?
        Without seeing pics it's just a guess. But maybe a sewer company that has a cutter to cut the blown in permaliners could cut the ABS/PVC pipe intruding into the main?

Although, the simplest thing might be to locate it, bust up the floor and put in a proper fitting, and be done with it.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

It is pretty hard to tell what is going on without seeing the video. This of course brings up the question, where did you get the camera and why aren't they fixing it?

The branch is a big enough problem you need to fix it regardless. Since your fixing it anyways the area with the roots should be fixed as well.

Your choices are:

- Wait until you remodel that area and put up with occasional stoppages until then.

- Never fix it, pay for occasional cleanings and clean ups then take a hit when you disclose it in your sales agreement.

- Break open the slab now, fix it all and put it behind you.

A lot of factors such as how bad it is, what will the ensuing damages be and what your financial situation is are just some of the factors.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks so much for all the quick replies. Plumber Rick is a crack up.

I have tried to attach a small video clip of the intruding pipe. I apologize for the quality. I have about 6 minutes of the whole pipe, but it only allows me to attach 9MB at a time. I will attach more if this works.

Thanks so much again for all the help.

Comment

Let's see here,
              I love San Diego,
              I own my own jack hammer and drain cleaning machines,
              I ride horses too, white ones are ok.
              Before I pack up and come down, do yo own a boat?
              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Mtnman1100,

Plumber Rick is clearly taken so, “yes”, I have a boat. Well not just yet, but I’ll go buy one. On my way now.

I guess if I don’t get my pipes fixed then my whole house will be sea worthy. Hang on and wear a life jacket. You’re in for a wild ride.

I finally figured out how to get this really large video over to you guys. I’ve posted it on youtube.com.
                I apologize for the poor quality. The monitor I had did not record so I made my poor mother sit on the bath tub and use my camera to record the monitor. I tried to edit some parts out to make it shorter so I apologize if it’s really choppy.
                I hope this better gets across what my issues are. (in terms of my plumbing of course.)

Thanks so much in advance for any advice or recommendations. You guys are great.

If you have any trouble viewing the video just let me know.

Here is the link. You might be able to click on it or you might have to paste it in your browser.

Let me know what you think of my plumbing! He,he.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aFhavDVMaw

Comment

What a mess! Do the right thing,bust up the concrete. It's no big deal for ME!
                  Sorry, I'm married too
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

damsel

you have an issue with the abs pipe in the line. depending how you want it fixed or just trimmed. will determine if you dig or just trim with a creative cutter.

you did a great job with the hand held camera but don't tell josh i told you so. he's the ridgid seesnake camera department manager.

why didn't the person burn you a dvd or a vhs? he was using a newer seesnake with the counter plus they should have also run minimal water to help locate the bottom of pipe

now the real issue is, what were they using for a jetter was it a kids squirt gun

i know if i jetted it, there would be next to no sludge left in the line.

using the proper jetter and nozzles is what separates the boys from the men

you need a man if you want it done right. not a boy toy

sorry couldn't help it.

but honestly, depending on your long term requirements, the tee/ saddle connection is wrong. so digging is the proper fix. but if you don't want to bust concrete, then being creative and having the right tools is what separates the boys from the pros.

if you don't mind the 2.5 hr. travel charge each way, then i'm the man

send me a visitor message if you want to discuss

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

The ABS needs to be fixed and a real jetter used.

Mark

Comment

Plumber Rick, I tried to send you a direct message but it said your inbox was full and you couldn't receive anything more until you freed up some space.
                        are you screening your Ridgid Forum Inbox?

Comment

check your email

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I will come over with my Bosch Brute, and fix that ABS problem, and bring my 4" chain knocker and make that cast iron look like brand new when I am done.

btw I am not married, and my daughter is 19 and ready to move out.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by PipeNightmare View Post
                              Plumber Rick, I tried to send you a direct message but it said your inbox was full and you couldn't receive anything more until you freed up some space.
                              are you screening your Ridgid Forum Inbox?
                              To post a visitor message, go to Plumber Rick's profile and you will see a text box to leave a visitor message. Your other option would be to send me a PM and I will forward it to Rick as the moderator.

Mark

BTW: Please excuse the visitor messages my 9-year old grand daughter left for Rick.

Comment

Working...
                              X