X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hydronic heat

a friend is looking for a way to put heat in a kithcen remodel. radiant underfloor is out of the question...finished space below kitchen and the existing wood floor is not being replaced. they have no wall space for conventional baseboard. toe kick space heaters were ruled out as too noisy. i recall seeing, on an older episode of This old house, a hot water radiant form of heat that looked like conventional baseboard but fit against the toe kick area of the lower cabinets. that means their height is restricted to 4". the TOH units looked like this:

http://www.aimradiantheating.com/store/slimline.html

but were compatible with stock lower cabinet toe kicks. any info would be appreciated as units that will fit into the toe kick can't seem to be found.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: hydronic heat

I built My home in 1971 back East. Had that system. Not a DIY project !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i posted that link for illustration purposes only. i'm hoping that the experience base on this forum can provide information for heating a kithcen remodel project, given the previously stated parameters.

Comment

I've installed a few sections of that Slim-Line Toekick baseboard. Tool's right....not a DIY job. What a PITA it was. It was only supplemental heat for a satellte section of a kitchen. Lot of hassle for very little result. These were custom cabinets. I don't think it would have fit in a stock toekick space...maybe.

The reasons for ruling out a toekick blower are unfounded. Most quality blowers are nearly dead silent. The key is to properly place and size them. One big one to do a large kitchen isn't the answer. They need to face the right direction to heat the space properly and not blow on your toes while standing at the sink. I like to use 2 smaller ones rather than one big blower unit no matter what size the kitchen. ALWAYS use the isolators that come with the units.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          ALWAYS use the isolators that come with the units.
          isolators? have you a link for the isolators you just mentioned? i'm sure my friend won't want a hydronic toe kick heater(s), but i'd like to pass on the info nontheless. i have a kicker in my small kitchen (9x12), along with 6' of baseboard. it heats ok, but i'm not crazy about it. info on "isolators" will be appreciated.

Comment

A water Heater will work with Your Base board for this small project.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The key to the toekick is delivering them some hot water. They work best with 170+ degrees running though them. It's important to install mono-flo tees on the supply an return to keep the flow going good.

The toekick heaters come with rubber feet (I call them isolators) to keep the vibration down when the fan comes on. Try not to screw them tight to the sub floor or the vibration will spread

His other option is an electric mat under the tile. These have come a long way in the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                a friend is looking for a way to put heat in a kithcen remodel. radiant underfloor is out of the question...finished space below kitchen and the existing wood floor is not being replaced. they have no wall space for conventional baseboard. toe kick space heaters were ruled out as too noisy. i recall seeing, on an older episode of This old house, a hot water radiant form of heat that looked like conventional baseboard but fit against the toe kick area of the lower cabinets. that means their height is restricted to 4". the TOH units looked like this:

http://www.aimradiantheating.com/store/slimline.html

but were compatible with stock lower cabinet toe kicks. any info would be appreciated as units that will fit into the toe kick can't seem to be found.
                You should be able to find the solution here.
                http://www.mysoninc.com/client_image...FC_Catalog.pdf
                their equipment if very well made and very quit. Some good stuff in the link above.

Hi-Line RC Fan ConvectorsOut of the way heating

The perfect choice for residential or commercial applications requiring space saving and out of reach heating. Ideal for schools, day care, elderly housing or healthcare facilities.
                • Delivers 3,853 Btu/hr to 21,094 Btu/hr
                • Replaces up to 40.2 feet of baseboard
                • 4 models, 3 fan speeds
                • Remote control
                • NEW multi-function digital control
                • Hi-Line has a 3 year product warranty;
                  10 year warranty for heat exchanger

Last edited by Chauncey; 04-29-2010, 10:04 PM.
                WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

Working...
                X