Help with that lovely sewer smell...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with that lovely sewer smell...

I thought I'd ask the experts for some help. One of our downstairs bathrooms has an intermittant sewer gas smell. It started last summer (a few months after we moved into a new construction home). I had the plumbers replace the wax ring and that helped some, but only reduced the smell about 50% or so. Cold weather came and the smell seemed to go away. Now that it is getting warm again, the problem has returned. There are no signs of any leaks that I can find, and there are times the smell seems worse after a flush, but not consistently. There is no odor in the tank w/ flushing (can't imagine why there would be, but worth a sniff), and I've tried refilling the trap in the adjacent bathtub (rarely used) and that also makes no difference. We are on an "aerobic" sewer/septic system here if that makes any difference to anyone. The toilet flushes well and w/o issue, but the tub does drain slow, if that matters (I suppose it could be the tub causing the smell...) Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Re: Help with that lovely sewer smell...

It is possible that the closet collar is cracked and that the wax seal is not sealing properly. You could try caulking the toilet base. It could be that one of the vents is not connected to the vent system. So many possibilities.

Comment

If You have an attic , check this out. Above Kitchen and Bath ,look for a vent that is open,and
      doesn't penetrate the roof! Have seen this once before!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by mandmj View Post
        I thought I'd ask the experts for some help. One of our downstairs bathrooms has an intermittant sewer gas smell. It started last summer (a few months after we moved into a new construction home). I had the plumbers replace the wax ring and that helped some, but only reduced the smell about 50% or so. Cold weather came and the smell seemed to go away. Now that it is getting warm again, the problem has returned. There are no signs of any leaks that I can find, and there are times the smell seems worse after a flush, but not consistently. There is no odor in the tank w/ flushing (can't imagine why there would be, but worth a sniff), and I've tried refilling the trap in the adjacent bathtub (rarely used) and that also makes no difference. We are on an "aerobic" sewer/septic system here if that makes any difference to anyone. The toilet flushes well and w/o issue, but the tub does drain slow, if that matters (I suppose it could be the tub causing the smell...) Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...
        Check to make sure your lavatory /vanity/pedestal actually has a properly piped drain. (It might not have a p-trap).

Is there by any chance a shower in the bathroom with a dry trap? Or a floor drain outside the bathroom maybe under a wash machine that has a dry trap?

Other than that, likely a cracked pipe or open joint.

Also, slim chance... there are toilets that don't leak water, but will leak air. To find out if your toilet is such a specimen it needs to be pulled. A test ball installed in the outlet. Put water in the trap and place a manometer in the toilet. If it holds air it's good. If it doesn't, that might be the source of your smell. I once had several Kohler Primary toilets that wouldn't hold air for a final inspection.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Thanks for all of the ideas. As for the bad joint, how does one check that? A fiber-optic camera I assume?

Comment

Originally posted by mandmj View Post
            Thanks for all of the ideas. As for the bad joint, how does one check that? A fiber-optic camera I assume?
            You can put smoke into the system and watch for where the smoke emits from, some still do the old fashioned way which works real good. Its putting peppermint oil down the stack from the roof, but who ever handles the peppermint oil keep them outside while you have some good noses go around and try to track down the peppermint smell.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            Ron's Facebook
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Ron, I'm going to be pouring several bottles of peppermint extract down some vent stacks today! I'm finishing a house a customer bought in foreclosure (5000 sq ft) with 26 plumbing fixtures and I couldn't get the waste and vent system to hold a final (manometer test). When only the tubs are hooked up.

(I'm walking into this blind) I'll get some pics. There's one thing in particular that is scary which I'll share later.
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have a plumber coming to do a smoke test tomorrow...

Comment

Working...
                X