Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! how to take off old Gopher tub Faucet handles

Hi

I am looking for advice help, steps on how to remove the old faucet from my bathtub. The make is "Gopher" It is a 3 handle Hot - Shower - Cold
    I would like to replace the unit with a new one. I would love to replace it with a single unit, but not sure how complicated that would be. How will I know the sizing for the new faucet? Can anyone point me to videos links online, or any advice on this? I would like to do this project myself. I have had a hard time taking off the handles. I have put WD40 on them. I tried using a handle puller, that doesn't work. The handle thats partially off on the left side was broken in half, and I still can't get the round part off over the end of the stem. See photos. Also for a new faucet any suggestions or links on what would fit in place of the old one or advice would be great. Thanks so much and I look forward to your reply.
    Also theres nowhere I can see where I can take a wrench and take off the whole stem (thinking that would be the easiest, and just replace the stem) Since I cant get the old faucet handles off, and I'm replacing the whole faucet anyway.
    I cannot afford a plumber on this one and would like to Do it Myself. I have googled videos and I can't find anything, every faucet is newer and not the same

Re: Help! how to take off old Gopher tub Faucet handles

if your replacing it dont worry about the handles just cut the whole thing out and leave hot cold and pipe risers and then pipe in the new valve.. sounds like your gonna need to cough up the money for a plumber though.. to solder the new valve in properly also i hope you didnt tear out that tile just to replace the three handle non balanced valve to a single handle they make extra large trim plates and such.. good luck
    Last edited by plumbworker; 05-02-2010, 10:02 PM.

Comment

thanks for your reply. we have to replace the tile and backer board anyway.

I can keep it the same a 3 handle, but I don't understand why there is not nuts/bolts to release with a wrench on these copper pipes? Can I still do it myself if I install a 3 handle? geesh I thought It would be easier than this!

Comment

the pipes are soldered into the valve you cant unscrew inplace.. as for putting another three handle by code you have to install a pressure balanced valve to prevent scalding most three hadles dont have a balancing spool to protect against pressure drop but you couls buy a external pressure balance assembly and rough it in on the supply hot and cold to the shower and provide a acess panel and as for doing it yourself it seems like this is over your head from what it looks like it should only take a plumber about an hour or so to solder in a new single handle pb valve..

Comment

Working...
        X