Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Running gas lines

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    interesting as there is a 59 page training guide on their website.

http://www.tru-flex.com/HVAC/docs/17...rainingG15.pdf

was there a requirement to have a certification to purchase the product?

rick.

a little more reading and look what's required. are we sure this is the brand that's being sold at lowes?

Pro-Flex® flexible gas piping (CSST) may only be installed by a Qualified/Trained Installer who has been trained in
    the use of
    Pro-Flex®. A Qualified/Trained Installer card is required to purchase and install Pro-Flex® (CSST) Flexible

Gas Piping.

I'm sure that it is the brand being sold at the Lowe's I was at. Because I took one of the books from there and have it with me.

J.C.

Comment

same brand they sell at the lowes I was at, but they were selling the installation manuals, kinda made me lol.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      I'm sure that it is the brand being sold at the Lowe's I was at. Because I took one of the books from there and have it with me.

J.C.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

And you definitely know the DIY'r doesn't understand or will properly install electrical bonding which has become the CSST manufacturers biggest nightmare.

Comment

never got a call from the north american sales manager

but i did call my supplier of csst and they were well aware of the issue.

they aren't happy about it and they feel until someone/ homeowner gets hurt nothings going to happen.

all we can try to do is lobby our local inspectors, but how many homeowners are actually going to get a permit

maybe we start calling lowes corporate and raise hell with them

not sure. it doesn't actually affect me with business. but what it could do though is cast a bad shadow on the product if something happens and they start banning the product i have invested heavily into.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

never got a call from the north american sales manager

but i did call my supplier of csst and they were well aware of the issue.

they aren't happy about it and they feel until someone/ homeowner gets hurt nothings going to happen.

all we can try to do is lobby our local inspectors, but how many homeowners are actually going to get a permit

maybe we start calling lowes corporate and raise hell with them

not sure. it doesn't actually affect me with business. but what it could do though is cast a bad shadow on the product if something happens and they start banning the product i have invested heavily into.

rick.
            Wait, it bothers you because you have an investment in a CSST company?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Wait, it bothers you because you have an investment in a CSST company?

Thanks.

J.C.
              no, more of an investment in the product and inventory that i don't want to see banned because some homeowner blew up their house.
              phoebe it is

Comment

i did get the call from the north american sales manager.

apparently there are 4 manufacturers of csst in the us. 3 of which are sold strictly through the wholesale supple houses and the fourth one, is sold primarily through the retail/ diy market.

i guess what i took from it is that they sell to menards and lowes. the product is actually distributed by the apollo valve company.

the numbers he quoted me based on retail sales are 90% pro and 10% non pro not sure i would agree with that, but that's his numbers. the fittings can be sold without a certificate, but the pipe puts up a red flag at the check out counter register.

sounds like unless we can get the local jurisdiction/ inspectors on board, we might just have to accept this being sold to non pros.

it doesn't have a direct impact on me as there are no menards here and lowes are far and few here. the impact will be felt if the csst market is banned.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

i did get the call from the north american sales manager.

apparently there are 4 manufacturers of csst in the us. 3 of which are sold strictly through the wholesale supple houses and the fourth one, is sold primarily through the retail/ diy market.

i guess what i took from it is that they sell to menards and lowes. the product is actually distributed by the apollo valve company.

the numbers he quoted me based on retail sales are 90% pro and 10% non pro not sure i would agree with that, but that's his numbers. the fittings can be sold without a certificate, but the pipe puts up a red flag at the check out counter register.

sounds like unless we can get the local jurisdiction/ inspectors on board, we might just have to accept this being sold to non pros.

it doesn't have a direct impact on me as there are no menards here and lowes are far and few here. the impact will be felt if the csst market is banned.

rick.
                  I'm willing to bet this is not true. I'll try to remember to test if there is a "flag" at the register.

Thanks for the information.

J.C.

Comment

menards has been selling csst to anyone in indiana for quite awhile. no KABOOM yet. i use tracpipe. my guess is that if there is a KABOOM it will be on purpose. sort of exercising the warranty. breid................

Comment

This is a simple case of...you never hear about all the airplanes that land safely. The industry will feel the wrath of press and attorneys when the wrong person finally kills themself and others around. I am less concerned with the explosive possibilities as most people will smell the gas and do something. My fear is these same people are not sizing the pipe correctly, leaving the unit starved for fuel and these people are doing their own venting. It is the gas they don't smell Carbon Monoxide that is the real fear from unqualified installations.
                      Kevin

Comment

Did anybody every try buying it to find if the cashier asks for your installation training certificate?

This same topic just came up on a heating contractor website and they are not happy about it being available to DIY either.

Comment

Working...
                        X