X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running gas lines

Regarding the yellow coated stainless steel flexible gas lines: Is this material covered under some type of licensing to install or is this a local license/code issue? I have always known that here you had to have a plumber/gas fitter license to run gas lines period. Then yesterday I see the SS lines in Lowe's with all the fittings to go with it. When I asked about this I was told by the Manager on Duty "I've never heard of having a license to run your own gas line". He came into this store about two months ago and had noticed that this store did not stock gas lines/fittings so he had them set up. Being as I have to be licensed for my "Household HandyMan" business, and I personally know the owner(s) of one of the local LP businesses, I call my friend the gas man. He hit the roof! He assured me he would be in Lowe's the next morning (today) with City officials to look into this. He assured me that within this county and city you do have to have a plumbers with gas fitting license to install gas lines- -Period! First it was plumbing, then electrical fittings/wire, then HVAC materials, now gas lines. Some homeowner is going to get hurt. David

Re: Running gas lines

They just started selling CSST at our lowes about a month ago. I'm not very happy, but someone local is going to have to lose their home or their life before anything will happen to restrict the sale of it.

Here the name brands of CSST sold at supply houses requires a manufacturers certification to buy, but Not a gasfitter or plumbing license. A homeowner could, prior to this, run their own Black iron, which lowes will cut and thread to length for you, but that was it. Csst isn't the product of choice for me, and it definitely scares me that a homeowner can buy and attempt to install it.

I thought the installation manual for sale next to the supplies was a nice touch.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

the real sad fact is seeing dynamite placed in a baby's hand Even today i see professionals who treat running and sizing gas like they do water and fail to understand the principles behind nat gas and or propane , whats specific gravity whats a water column pressure regulators with vent limiters installed upside down 5lb systems with opd on the regulators these again to only the true professionals will understand all of the above which just scratches the surface, but who the h#ll cares just go to Lowe's or better yet next time you need a doctor or an operation just do it yourself i hear Lowe's sells scalpels

Comment

The other scary thing is the "EXPERT" who is making minimum wage. Telling the people how to install the products they sell. As said earlier what will it take. Can you say "KA-BOOM"
        Last time I try to fix it myself. Next time I will hire a PROFESSIONAL.

Comment

I witnessed a clerk at HD instruct a homeowner on how to string together several rubber gas connectors to run an outside gas line. when I accosted the clerk he said " Hey it's not my problem, homeowners choice"
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

"CSST", I did not even know the proper name of it, Thanks for that. One thing that crossed my mind when looking at all of those fittings: Would the average homeowner even check for leaks after installing any of these fittings or would they just think "heck, I've got it tight, that's all I need to do". So sad. Yeah, it will probably take a big "Ka-Boom" and a lawsuit in the long run. David

Comment

Originally posted by Thurman View Post
              "CSST", I did not even know the proper name of it, Thanks for that. One thing that crossed my mind when looking at all of those fittings: Would the average homeowner even check for leaks after installing any of these fittings or would they just think "heck, I've got it tight, that's all I need to do". So sad. Yeah, it will probably take a big "Ka-Boom" and a lawsuit in the long run. David
              No, many homeowners won't check and it is just a matter of time before that gas grill addition causes something bad to happen.

J.C.

Comment

i would like to know the brand of the csst they are selling and then call the manufacture and raise hell with them.

we are required to have the csst license for each brand we purchase. how in the heck is a company selling this stuff to the public

do you know the name of the brand

gastite, tracpipe, wardflex? or something totally different.

rick.

p.s. thanks for the heads up.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I had a call the other day homeowner called said the pilot on his water heater would not stay lit. He change the thermocouple but still no luck. I get there and its one of the newer gas water heaters with the FVIR system. I checked the High temperature limit switch on the burner chamber door. It was popped. So after resetting the safety switch I re-lit the pilot and turned the water heater on.

After a few minutes of the water cooking I noticed a strong gas smell. I check for leaks with my leak detector,got a huge hit off the main burner tube going into the control valve. He had only threaded it in by two threads. Good thing he did not get the unit to lite, or there could of been bigger problems.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I found this company's items/display in my local Lowes today as a matter of fact.

http://www.tru-flex.com/

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      I found this company's items/display in my local Lowes today as a matter of fact.

J.C.
                      Here is a link to their sales sheet which states it to be installed by a trained installer. http://www.tru-flex.com/HVAC/docs/sm...%20ProFlex.pdf

Attached Files
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Thanks for finding that. I might give the DOI a heads up.

J.C.

Comment

I am not a liscensed plumber; I clean drains.

That said, I have run black iron for propane for my best friend on this earth, for myself, and will likely be doing some for natural gas for myself soon.

In all these exceptive cases, I am careful with the care that comes only from knowledge of what can happen combined with the fact that I will be killing family if I eff it up. I would never, for even an instant, consider running gas pipe for a customer. For myself... well, honestly I could care less; it's my own funeral. For a friend, who might as well be family... my concious will hold me to a higher standard than the wage slave who would be running it otherwise. And if the option is between watching her freeze or watching her starve, I'll choose to run the pipe, with all my inexperience, and quadurple check everything, and do it for dinner and a smile, rather that leave her to what may. And that one time was only done with the caveat that there was a liscenced plumber running the job who inspected my work after the fact and signed off on it. Tried to hire me, if I can get away with tooting my own horn.

The idea that 'you can do it, we can help' applies to combustable gas line is one of the scariest things I've heard. This kind of thing just can't be done wrong. The possible consequences are too great.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.

interesting as there is a 59 page training guide on their website.

http://www.tru-flex.com/HVAC/docs/17...rainingG15.pdf

was there a requirement to have a certification to purchase the product?

rick.

a little more reading and look what's required. are we sure this is the brand that's being sold at lowes?

Pro-Flex® flexible gas piping (CSST) may only be installed by a Qualified/Trained Installer who has been trained in
                            the use of
                            Pro-Flex®. A Qualified/Trained Installer card is required to purchase and install Pro-Flex® (CSST) Flexible

Gas Piping.

Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-06-2010, 08:46 AM.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

guys, i just got off the phone with the manufacturer of this product. had a 30 minute conversation with them and even had them go to this thread to read our post on this matter.

i'll be following up with the national sales manager who is the guy responsible for getting it into the home centers.

at this point, i amazed at their position that the buyer has to read the 57 pages and sign off on it that they understand the product and the proper installation

knowing i took 3 different classes with the 3 major brands out here. and listening to others in the trade that just didn't understand it, amazes me to think that joe homeowner is going to understand all the points that plumbers in the trade don't

time for another phone call.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X