Frozen, busted, and now bewildered!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen, busted, and now bewildered!

I am looking into a house that has upstairs and main floor bathrooms....however, the water is turned off to this home, as the pipes froze
    last year! UHG! I am very handy, and have some help -- however, I want to make sure this is even able to be done, before I dive in.

Here is my thought:

For awhile, I would like to cap off the water supplies and drains to the upstairs bathroom, and just repair the main floor, so that the house is usable again. Is this possible? Is this the right way to go?

I appreciate any and all ideas and thoughts on this process.

Thank you!

Re: Frozen, busted, and now bewildered!

well, the right way to go is to get some bids and get it fixed.

But if you had the money to do that, you wouldn't be asking.

Suggest you get some bids; might not be as bad as you think.

The process is basically

- turn on the water and see where it runs out
    - open up whatever you need to to fix what you've found
    - repeat
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Re: Frozen, busted, and now bewildered!

Originally posted by MNmommy View Post
      I am looking into a house that has upstairs and main floor bathrooms....however, the water is turned off to this home, as the pipes froze
      last year! UHG! I am very handy, and have some help -- however, I want to make sure this is even able to be done, before I dive in.

Here is my thought:

For awhile, I would like to cap off the water supplies and drains to the upstairs bathroom, and just repair the main floor, so that the house is usable again. Is this possible? Is this the right way to go?

I appreciate any and all ideas and thoughts on this process.

Thank you!
      Yes. I've done it. I usually find the Hot/Cold going upstairs and valve it off.

EDIT: I didn't pay close enough attention to your questions. I forgot you listed the drains. Yes you can cap them too. There could be a busted trap you need to find and repair though. I've ran into this only with busted water pipes. I find where they go up, valve them off, put the lower level in service, then get to work on the rest.

J.C.
      Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 05-08-2010, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X