What is wrong with this picture?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is wrong with this picture?

What do you see wrong in this picture that would cause a smelly dishwasher. There is a high loop, but no air gap. When running the sink at full blast and and the disposal, nothing makes it past the high loop, although just because I don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Any other issues that might cause it?
    Attached Files

Re: What is wrong with this picture?

Could the high loop or food residue in the disposer cause too much backpressure against the draining water?

Have you removed the screen at the bottom of the dishwasher and thoroughly cleaned out everything?
    I also removed the turning sprayer and removed some particles from it.

If that does not work, I would install another drain branch and trap just for the dishwasher.
    Perhaps the garbage disposer is somehow forcing some wastewater back into the dishwasher.

My girlfriend's dishwasher had grease build-up in the back.
    I completely removed the grease and discovered thathe dishwasher had been connected to the cold water supply.

PlumBob
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 05-09-2010, 02:04 PM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

There's a couple things wrong but I don't know if any of them are related to your smell issue.

The trap should be below the disposal not the way you currently have it. The disposal now has to grind the food and push it 12 inches before it drops into the trap. Some food may lay in that horizontal peice and cause a smell problem.

Do yourself a favor and tighten that disposal ring until it locks before it falls off with a sink full of water.

Is the dishwasher completely pumping all the water out on it's final rinse?

Comment

I see what you are saying about food particles in the horizontal piece (and I did check and there was nothing that would cause a smell. The dishwasher is new (3 or 4 cycles so far) and everything looks clean. After a cycle, the tub is completely drained. Like I said, when I run the disposal with food and water, nothing is backing up past the high loop. This smell really is like a sewer gas smell but my trap is full and not siphoning. Thanks for the advice. I'll tighten the disposal ring.

Comment

its bin a very long time that i have installed one so the small hose isn't that the drain so what is the other pipe coming out going to the drain ????
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Need more info...smell only from DW? when did it start?? with the new DW?? does it only smell when the DW runs or when the sink is running too? and my favorite, what does it smell like?? just sewer gas or something else??

Comment

And put a hose clamp around the dishwasher drain hose where it meets the garbage disposal. That would be a lovely mess.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

not sure about the smell

but i'm sure about a few other issues you have.

typically the right sink stop is cold. left is hot. your dishwasher is hooked to the right side/ cold

you basket strainer is junk. pot metal nuts for the locking ring and cad plated slip joint nuts are not legal. brass is

i'm not a fan of tube traps on kitchen sinks. is there a stop on your adapter that prevents it from pushing too far in and possibly blocking the san tee

hose clamp and locking the disposal as mentioned is a smart move

the disposal / trap araingment is ok as you have a solid connection that will not vibrate loose. remember that a disposal requires water before, during and after using. so standing food debris is not an issue.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Leave the dishwasher water supply connected as it is already.

J.C.

Comment

Bet the Mice love those double entry doors around water supply's
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Leave the dishwasher water supply connected as it is already.

J.C.
                      Good eye. Since the supply lines are crossed before connecting to the
                      faucet, they're probably stubbed up hot on right, cold on left.

Comment

Hot is on the right, cold on the left.

There is a stop in the tube for the left sink to keep the santee from being blocked.

Water is run before/during/after disposal use.

The smell is like something dead, however it is only inside dishwasher and faintly in the sink so it's not a dead animal (I looked under everything just for fun). I am 100% positive it's not the trap either. Everytime I check it, it's full. The smell usually comes about 2 days after a cycle. Recently, the dishwasher has been louder too. The dishwasher is only about 4 months old. (But so was my Ridgid Impact Driver before it self-destructed).

Comment

Get you some of that "Enzyme" drain stuff and put in the dishwasher & disposal.

J.C.

Comment

That tee has a baffle in it that will trap waste from the disposer pretty quick.
                            You should have two traps, one for the left and one for the right which would necessitate you installing a wye or dble wye at the wall.
                            Dittos to all the other stuff pointed out.
                            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                            X