Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

Well has to be up to code before bank will close on loan and seller has been very uncooperative with whole thing. I even offered to go 1/2 by forfeiting the homeowners warranty that is $1100. So far they said bring a letter from my bank saying it HAS to be repaired and they will think about it. I highly doubt they will fix it. original FHA appraisal said discharge on TPR For HOW had to be replaced because someone downsized it and they wouldn't do that! cost me $6 for part at Lowes and 5 minutes to do it.

Shouldn't something like this be "grandfathered" in as when it was installed it was up to code?

I am just worried that maybe the well guy sees an opportunity to make some money and is jumping on it even though there could be a way to pass this well?!

Comment

more info..
      Well pipes come up thru floor in attached garage and go thru the wall to a closet in the breezeway between garage and house.
      Closet has 2 line deep well jet pump and a pressure tank.

Anyone from Michigan know if this meets code?

Comment

Grandfathered varies with local laws. In MA towns enforcing the laws require the septic and wells be brought up to code before a sale is allowed. There is very little enforcement on wells but septic's they have very little leeway

In your case grandfather protection sounds like it has little to do with it anyway. Banks can give or deny loans for a lot of reasons in your case, you are describing the bank saying we won't offer a loan unless it is for a property up to current code, so it doesn't matter if previous code makes these things OK. You want the loan you play by their rules.

I have no idea what your well guy is including or excluding from his estimate. If I were doing the job you'd be looking at a minimum of $1700. There are a lot of unknowns going on. I wouldn't bid the job at 2k till i have a good picture of whats happening. Looking at worst case bidding that he could easily lose his shirt.

Say the original installer was cheap and decided against a well pit. You'd be searching for a 6inch diameter well 5 feet bellow the surface. Even with a good metal detector that could be a half day locating it. Then after finding it ever try digging a 6 foot hole by hand, that's a hell of a long time with a shovel. The choice is then spend most a day digging or bring a backhoe in. starting to see how the cost can climb?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeD1980 View Post
          more info..
          Well pipes come up thru floor in attached garage and go thru the wall to a closet in the breezeway between garage and house.
          Closet has 2 line deep well jet pump and a pressure tank.

Anyone from Michigan know if this meets code?
          No idea what Michigan code is. I was actually surprised to hear they require a submersible. Around here the building inspectors have no idea what the codes for residential well systems even are. Well drillers get a lot of discretion in deciding how to do things. Add to that my grandfather set most the standards for the towns I work in, so If I tell them it's OK they just agree.

Concern I'd have with that set up is freezing. Is the garage heated? If not you could get by with boxing the line in or running a heater tape. The closet needs to be heated.

Comment

2 grand is nothing! Use Your head Man !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Your well guy seems awful optimistic that your well is going to be large enough to accept a submersible pump. The smallest well that will accept a submersible pump is 3". Back in the 60's when I was a Well Driller in Oakland county, two inch wells were the norm. Three inch wells were only drilled when there was a pipe shortage and there were maybe one 3" well to 200 or more 2" wells.

So in my opinion, your well will probably have to be abandoned and a whole new system put in.

Where are you in Michigan where there is only one driller around?

I'm not trying to pry you from this Forum, but there are two Michigan Drillers on my forum who might be able to give you some help.
              Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                2 grand is nothing! Use Your head Man !
                i am not complaining about price. I don't own the home to make the repairs. My current problem is that he failed inspection and says michigan code requires pump to be replaced. Local Building Inspector says he is incorrect and that the current system is acceptable, however if any MAJOR repairs were ever to be made to the current well, that at that time the pump would have to be replaced.
                now well guy is holding up whole loan process and could very likely cost me the house, when all I asked for was a inspection of functionality.

Comment

You brought him into the picture. I think you've complicated things by putting in the extra effort. From My point of view if Freddy wanted to sell the house they should have been willing to make the effort to make it sale-able.

You get your loan approval and look for homes that fall into the requirements of the loan. You managed to find a house that didn't. IMHO you tell the seller to meet your requirements or you'll find someone that will.

You've stepped into a situation where you're spending money on someone else's house. You're paying for the inspections and repairs. have they even signed anything saying they won't just sell the house to someone else anyway?

If I was in Freddy's position this seems like a really sweat deal. Some sucker came along and is paying for inspections and gathering data on the property. Even if he doesn't end up buying the house, he's made it more sell-able, thus more valuable for us at his expense

Understand most the guys doing the inspections for code and such aren't going put much thought into where the data comes from. The look at the date available and pass judgment.

When the inspector said he needed to know where the well was you could have. Put a stake in the ground 100 feet from the septic and none would have been the wiser.

Comment

my lender required that I do the inspections and make sure well and septic is up to fha requirements. we have a signed sales contract and are supposed to close in 3 days!

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
                      When the inspector said he needed to know where the well was you could have. Put a stake in the ground 100 feet from the septic and none would have been the wiser.
                      I am about to do just that. on top of not submitting the well guys inspection report and just make my own damn inspection report saying it is up to fha and MI state codes!

a few forged documents never hurt no one!

Comment

The problem with the old well is that it is not one foot above grade. That is code.

IMO, the $2000 was to put a pitless adapter on it. That price is about right. Don't do it. This well is to old to put any money in.

We have drilled a few for HUD. They will pay for it. Yes, you need a new well. The trick is in the documentation to the lender. Look for a driller that can document.

This will give you a complete new system.

Also the old well will have to be abandoned or the driller state it could not be found on the well log. HUD will pay that too. Be sure and put the permit price on the paper work.
                        Last edited by Driller1; 05-12-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

i am not complaining about price. I don't own the home to make the repairs. My current problem is that he failed inspection and says michigan code requires pump to be replaced. Local Building Inspector says he is incorrect and that the current system is acceptable, however if any MAJOR repairs were ever to be made to the current well, that at that time the pump would have to be replaced.
                          now well guy is holding up whole loan process and could very likely cost me the house, when all I asked for was a inspection of functionality.
                          Your best information will come from your local health department. It is free.

Comment

Grandfathered varies with local laws. In MA towns enforcing the laws require the septic and wells be brought up to code before a sale is allowed. There is very little enforcement on wells but septic's they have very little leeway

In your case grandfather protection sounds like it has little to do with it anyway. Banks can give or deny loans for a lot of reasons in your case, you are describing the bank saying we won't offer a loan unless it is for a property up to current code, so it doesn't matter if previous code makes these things OK. You want the loan you play by their rules.

I have no idea what your well guy is including or excluding from his estimate. If I were doing the job you'd be looking at a minimum of $1700. There are a lot of unknowns going on. I wouldn't bid the job at 2k till i have a good picture of whats happening. Looking at worst case bidding that he could easily lose his shirt.

Say the original installer was cheap and decided against a well pit. You'd be searching for a 6inch diameter well 5 feet bellow the surface. Even with a good metal detector that could be a half day locating it. Then after finding it ever try digging a 6 foot hole by hand, that's a hell of a long time with a shovel. The choice is then spend most a day digging or bring a backhoe in. starting to see how the cost can climb?
                            Pits are illegal in Michigan.

Comment

No idea what Michigan code is. I was actually surprised to hear they require a submersible. Around here the building inspectors have no idea what the codes for residential well systems even are. Well drillers get a lot of discretion in deciding how to do things. Add to that my grandfather set most the standards for the towns I work in, so If I tell them it's OK they just agree.

Concern I'd have with that set up is freezing. Is the garage heated? If not you could get by with boxing the line in or running a heater tape. The closet needs to be heated.
                              Submersbles are not required in Michigan. The thing is no one drills 2" wells anymore. The are more expensive.

Comment

I am about to do just that. on top of not submitting the well guys inspection report and just make my own damn inspection report saying it is up to fha and MI state codes!

a few forged documents never hurt no one!
                                I don't endorse forging documents and discourage you from doing so.

I think you are still learning. Is this your first home buying experience?

In all aspects of life understand everyone has an agenda. Your is to get into that house, in order to do that you need passing inspections. The lending bank's is to make sure the are making a safe investment, to do that they want everything up to date so they can easily resell the property if needed. The well guy is interested in making money, to do that he is trying to sell you work.

Your priority should have been to make sure your agenda comes first. When hiring a well guy you should have told him I want a passing inspection at minimal cost. If he couldn't do that you are free to get someone else. He may be the only guy in the area but nothing stops you from getting someone outside the area.

Comment

Working...
                                X