Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

Originally posted by Driller1 View Post
    Pits are illegal in Michigan.
    Were they illegal then? Around here well pits were how it was done. Current code requires new wells be 18 inches above ground. There are plenty of homes that aren't up to current code. The towns I work in aren't forcing anyone to get rid of the pits

Every home I work at that still has a well pit I recommend extending the well up. My main motivation is 20 years from now I don't want to be digging it out again. From a long term cost point of view it really is in every ones best interest. Yes it's expensive to extend the well up but it isn't getting any cheaper and some day they'll get around to requiring that work be done anyway. Add to that pit-less set ups are so much better in so many ways, it makes future labor on the same well take much less time.

Comment

No one found the stick thing funny ...... tough crowd.... I am going back to the drain cleaning forum, you experts...

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
        No one found the stick thing funny ...... tough crowd.... I am going back to the drain cleaning forum, you experts...
        I smiled at it,
        and if my SIL was around I bet he could find it as well, no he is not 100% but I have had him trace out wires and pipes I have put small marks on the earth and had the pro locators come out and he was right on on my stuff,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
          Were they illegal then? Around here well pits were how it was done. Current code requires new wells be 18 inches above ground. There are plenty of homes that aren't up to current code. The towns I work in aren't forcing anyone to get rid of the pits

Every home I work at that still has a well pit I recommend extending the well up. My main motivation is 20 years from now I don't want to be digging it out again. From a long term cost point of view it really is in every ones best interest. Yes it's expensive to extend the well up but it isn't getting any cheaper and some day they'll get around to requiring that work be done anyway. Add to that pit-less set ups are so much better in so many ways, it makes future labor on the same well take much less time.
          It is a point of sale thing. The old 2" around here are not worth putting any money into. They will get a hole in the casing. Just a matter of time.

The HUD projects I worked on the buyer got a new well, pump and tank. The lender paid. In these cases the lender was also the seller. At other times the sellers paid.

2" wells are just not as good as 5" PVC.
          Last edited by Driller1; 05-12-2010, 07:49 PM. Reason: Correction of wording. Long day on the rig. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MikeD1980 View Post
            I am about to do just that. on top of not submitting the well guys inspection report and just make my own damn inspection report saying it is up to fha and MI state codes!

a few forged documents never hurt no one!
            I guess that last statement might be true if you consider yourself a nobody, but I am sure you were kidding about forging papers. No one in their right mind would make a statement like that in a public forum then go and do it.

Right?
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

no, no plans on forging anything.
              after talking to township building inspector and well guy, he is now rewriting the well report because the well is completely within code. it is grandfathered in, however if it ever needs any work done that requires a permit, it will need to be completely brought up to current code.
              he was supposed to go over there this afternoon with some "equipment" and locate the well so we can decide if it is 50+' from septic.
              well guy also said around here, back in '65 they were doing 4" threaded casing not 2" (he is an old timer) he even pointed me to a MI.gov website where you can see original scanned copies of well permits as far back as 1965, that property was unfortunately not listed, the neighbor was 1965 4" steel threaded casing 85' deep.
              going to keep my fingers crossed and hope all goes well.

Comment

no, no plans on forging anything.
                after talking to township building inspector and well guy, he is now rewriting the well report because the well is completely within code. it is grandfathered in, however if it ever needs any work done that requires a permit, it will need to be completely brought up to current code.
                he was supposed to go over there this afternoon with some "equipment" and locate the well so we can decide if it is 50+' from septic.
                well guy also said around here, back in '65 they were doing 4" threaded casing not 2" (he is an old timer) he even pointed me to a MI.gov website where you can see original scanned copies of well permits as far back as 1965, that property was unfortunately not listed, the neighbor was 1965 4" steel threaded casing 85' deep.
                going to keep my fingers crossed and hope all goes well.
                Whoa, where is the pump??? A 4" was never legal to hook up with a jet type pump. It is either an old 2", maybe a 3" or not a well at. It could be just a sand point.

Talk to another driller. This guy is just telling you what you want to hear.

Comment

http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7...9194--,00.html

This is the code book.

Comment

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/well-logs/

This is where you can look up old logs. The problem is when they scanned them they did over 3000 a day. There is a lot of misplaced logs in there.

Now the new one are not on line for the pubic to view.

Anyone wanting to see their well log or, logs in the area just PM me.

Comment

that code book is where i found the information that made him have to rewrite his report due to this..
                      #2 is where I got him. NO repairs were being made to the well so it is not required to be brought up to recent code. well is from pre-1993 when these rules were wrote up, therefore it is grandfathered in.

R 325.1611 Application of rules to existing water supplies.

Rule 111. (1) When extensive changes or repairs are made to a water supply
                      system that was constructed before the effective date of these amendatory rules,
                      the changes or repairs shall be in compliance with the provisions of these rules
                      unless a deviation is issued pursuant to the provisions of R 325.1613. Extensive
                      changes include replacing the entire casing, removing a casing from the ground,
                      or changing aquifers.

(2) Upgrading a water supply system to conform with these rules is not required
                      when minor repairs to the system occur, such as any of the following:
                      (a) Replacing a telescoped well screen.
                      (b) Changing screen elevation.
                      (c) Deepening or plugging back a bedrock well.
                      (d) Installing a liner pipe.
                      (e) Replacing a pump, controls, pump drop pipe, or pressure tank.
                      (f) Chemical treatment of the well or well disinfection.

Comment

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/well-logs/

This is where you can look up old logs. The problem is when they scanned them they did over 3000 a day. There is a lot of misplaced logs in there.

Now the new one are not on line for the pubic to view.

Anyone wanting to see their well log or, logs in the area just PM me.
                        I spennt over 3 hours looking at these and found every house around that one, but not that one! either pre-1965 or misplaced.

Comment

and since it is a 2 line deep well jet pump, everywhere I have read says that it HAS to be at LEAST a 4" well and can pump water as low as 200'

Comment

I spennt over 3 hours looking at these and found every house around that one, but not that one! either pre-1965 or misplaced.
                            That well is just old. Go into this knowing you will need a new well.

Don't put any money in the old one. If the old one is 85 foot this is what it would take to replace it with a new 5" PVC well.

Drilling and grouting $1360. Based on $16 per foot.
                            If it takes a screen and gravel pack (they all do not) $700.

For a new well $2060. Of course, the hook up will be more.

Comment

and since it is a 2 line deep well jet pump, everywhere I have read says that it HAS to be at LEAST a 4" well and can pump water as low as 200'
                              Where are you reading??

Comment

from nationaldriller.com

Deep well jet pumps are not limited by atmospheric pressure to 25 feet of lift. A good deep well jet can pump water from as deep as 200 feet.

When the well casing is four inches or larger in diameter, a double-pipe system normally is preferred. Where the well casing is smaller than four inches in diameter, a single-pipe deep well injector can be used.

sorry, i am a "google-a-holic"

Comment

Working...
                                X