No announcement yet.

Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...umbing/1275136

http://www.wellowner.org/

Here is a good read.
    Last edited by Driller1; 05-12-2010, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeD1980 View Post
      from nationaldriller.com

Deep well jet pumps are not limited by atmospheric pressure to 25 feet of lift. A good deep well jet can pump water from as deep as 200 feet.

When the well casing is four inches or larger in diameter, a double-pipe system normally is preferred. Where the well casing is smaller than four inches in diameter, a single-pipe deep well injector can be used.

sorry, i am a "google-a-holic"
      Can you put up a link? You are misreading something about the casing.

The Driller is a national publication. Those are not Michigan rules. Go though some well logs. Look at all the 2" wells in Michigan. There were millions.
      Last edited by Driller1; 05-12-2010, 10:10 PM.

Comment

http://www.nationaldriller.com/Artic...00f932a8c0____

Comment

since it is double pipe, has to be at least 4". if it were smaller then 4" it would be a single pipe.

Comment

It does not say it has to be 4". Again, in Michigan a 4" could never be hooked up legally to a jet pump.

Comment

I wish you luck with your project.

BTW, the well we replaced were because of township "point of sale".
              Last edited by Driller1; 05-12-2010, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Driller1 View Post
                It does not say it has to be 4". Again, in Michigan a 4" could never be hooked up legally to a jet pump.
                not now it can't be used. but obviously in 1965 it could be, and has been working fine for 45yrs. current pump is a 2001 so it has been going strong for 9yrs.
                If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
                and according to MI code it is perfectly fine to keep using that set-up and is up to code, until a major repair is made, THEN it will have to be upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeD1980 View Post
                  not now it can't be used. but obviously in 1965 it could be, and has been working fine for 45yrs. current pump is a 2001 so it has been going strong for 9yrs.
                  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
                  and according to MI code it is perfectly fine to keep using that set-up and is up to code, until a major repair is made, THEN it will have to be upgraded.
                  IMO, you are arguing against your best interest. Why wouldn't you want the seller to drill you a new well and pumping system

How do you know it is a well and not a sand point?

Let it run hard for a day without turning it off. Then take a 5 gallon pale and check your GPM. I would like to see about 12/18 GPM for a modern home.

Comment

No one found the stick thing funny ...... tough crowd.... I am going back to the drain cleaning forum, you experts...
                    I thought it was funny!

I can tell you one thing I found when I was doing work in Michigan way back then. Practically nobody put in a four inch well and hooked up a jet pump. It was either a 2" well with a jet pump or a 4" well with a submersible pump. Then 5" became the norm with subs.

If you have a basement, the sand point well would be in the basement. A two inch well would be out in the yard.
                    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                      I thought it was funny!

I can tell you one thing I found when I was doing work in Michigan way back then. Practically nobody put in a four inch well and hooked up a jet pump. It was either a 2" well with a jet pump or a 4" well with a submersible pump. Then 5" became the norm with subs.

If you have a basement, the sand point well would be in the basement. A two inch well would be out in the yard.
                      Did you ever see a 4" below the ground?

Comment

Oh yeah, quite a few.

Until I was 18, I didn't know what a drill rig was. I always thought wells were drilled with a shovel. That's the tool my Dad brought me up with.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                          Oh yeah, quite a few.

Until I was 18, I didn't know what a drill rig was. I always thought wells were drilled with a shovel. That's the tool my Dad brought me up with.
                          I learned something then. I have never seen a 4" below grade. I know they did not code like that. However, back then not all counties required permits.

Comment

Back then there were no permits, no well logs, no Health Dept breathing down your neck and no stupid fresh out of college inspectors telling you how to drill a well.

Yup, things sure have changed. Some for the better, but in my opinion, mostly for the worse.

Comment

1971 Cape Cod Mass. drove a 2" well point to 50' this way for our home. 71 ford pick up,
                              rear end blocked up . Had cut cut and welded an old rim with spacer,now I had a capstin winch. Tripod with block, 4" pipe full of melted lead tire weights [ 90 lbs.] ,from the bottom a 1/2" steel rod about 4 '. Drive cap with hole on 2" casing. Cape Cod is motley sand.
                              Did 6 more wells on homes I built. No well permit necessary.
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Things have changed. Mostly for the good, IMO. I am a rules girl...LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X