Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Old buried well? Urgent help needed! Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

    Things have changed. Mostly for the good, IMO. I am a rules girl...LOL
    Women... they just ain't like us real people!
    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

      If nothing else this thread brought all the sandbagging well drillers out in the open. And I don't mean that in a bad way. Its nice to know that trade has a presence here.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

        If nothing else this thread brought all the sandbagging well drillers out in the open. And I don't mean that in a bad way. Its nice to know that trade has a presence here.
        I had to go grab Pandi (Driller1) off my Forum and drag her over here so she could help out a Fellow Michigander.

        If you really want to be amazed, ask her to post the Michigan Water Well Bible. OMG, it's bigger than the Detroit Phone Book!
        Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

          I do love the rules!!!! I also am a customer advocate.

          Many times a year between the rules and insurances my customers pay nothing for new wells. Or, pumps.

          And I know they appreciate the extra work. I have gotten flowers, girl scout cookies, home made treats, gift cards....and a puppy.

          Always lot of hugs!!

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

            ....and a puppy.
            Yeah with my luck, I would end up with Bob's Kennel's instead of a Pump business. Everybody has an extra puppy or kitty to give away.
            Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

              Originally posted by speedbump View Post
              Yeah with my luck, I would end up with Bob's Kennel's instead of a Pump business. Everybody has an extra puppy or kitty to give away.
              Oh....maybe they were not happy????

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

                Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                No one found the stick thing funny ...... tough crowd.... I am going back to the drain cleaning forum, you experts...
                Sorry Dan; I didn't know it was a joke! I should give you more credit than that. There are more than a few otherwise reasonable people who swear by dowsing, and I just don't get into it with them because the argument (not unlike the dowsing) just leads to pointless aggravation.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

                  Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  Sorry Dan; I didn't know it was a joke! I should give you more credit than that. There are more than a few otherwise reasonable people who swear by dowsing, and I just don't get into it with them because the argument (not unlike the dowsing) just leads to pointless aggravation.
                  Dowsing always leaves you out on a limb....

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

                    I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the op's problem is not that the well is illegal, or does not work atm, but that the FHA financing he's trying to get approved requires a submersible pump.



                    Driller1; Thanks for your input. I like rules too, but sometimes, as in this case, find they end up making expensive headaches out of non-issues.

                    I went through a thing a while a go explaining to a customer that I could not continue to pm jet their sewer service at the rates I had been doing it for for years because their new parent mgmt company required me to name 3 separate entities as 'additional insured' on my liability ins. This costs something like $50 per entity, per year, affords them no additional liability protection, and I do ~ $400 of work for them annually. We ended up parting ways.

                    I don't know what they are doing now, probably nothing, and it'll be a nightmare when it plugs again (it's about due), and it'll stay plugged for at least a day or two when it happens if they want me to do it because I'll just put my foot down and tell them (again) that they need to reimburse me up front if they want all that silly paperwork done.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

                      The OP's well (at home his is buying) would not code today. It is on borrowed time now.

                      Most lenders do want things to code, as do some township rules.

                      I would question why the OP would not want things to code. Water is one of the most important and used things in a home. It is easy to turn on a tap and see water, then think it is fine.

                      In reality when you are doing dishes, showering and washing clothes, you could feel different.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

                        Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                        I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the op's problem is not that the well is illegal, or does not work atm, but that the FHA financing he's trying to get approved requires a submersible pump.



                        Driller1; Thanks for your input. I like rules too, but sometimes, as in this case, find they end up making expensive headaches out of non-issues.

                        I went through a thing a while a go explaining to a customer that I could not continue to pm jet their sewer service at the rates I had been doing it for for years because their new parent mgmt company required me to name 3 separate entities as 'additional insured' on my liability ins. This costs something like $50 per entity, per year, affords them no additional liability protection, and I do ~ $400 of work for them annually. We ended up parting ways.

                        I don't know what they are doing now, probably nothing, and it'll be a nightmare when it plugs again (it's about due), and it'll stay plugged for at least a day or two when it happens if they want me to do it because I'll just put my foot down and tell them (again) that they need to reimburse me up front if they want all that silly paperwork done.
                        I see your point. What I am dealing with is drinking water. Every important it is clean.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

                          One thing that was never discussed in this thread is "size and design for intended use". Also code in Michigan.

                          That is why I asked the OP to check GPM rate. There is no way that well produces what it did when it was new.

                          Screed wells plug up, bedrock intake "slimes" over.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

                            Oh, by all means... not disagreeing with taking care where potable water is concerned; that's part of why I shy away from that work; all my equipment is covered in bacteria.

                            I think people ought to have their wells sampled and tested annually if they value their health. Gf had hers tested trying to solve it smelling bad, which turns out to be nothing significant, but in the process found she had flouride levels off the chart. Great well; makes tons of water, but none you ought to drink.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

                              Yes, wells should be tested!!! That is another reason Michigan health departments do not like the old 2" wells. If you need to chlorinate, all the drop has to come out. A 4"/5", just remove the cap, pour the chlorine down the side.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

                                We have a cottage in MI & found this extremely fascinating! I have 1 week in June to work on it so I have to plan carefully. We could not find the old well on our last trip but have a general idea of where it may be. No records since it was so old. I have tried attaching a photo of where we think it was. It was a shallow well pump. Any ideas if this looks like a well area? I also have had trouble locating more than 1 well person in the area in mid Michigan.

                                P.S. would love to hear if the other MI well is still going or if they have had to replace
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by varuffolo; 04-07-2013, 01:18 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X