Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanLawrence
    replied
    Re: Old buried well? Urgent help needed!

Call me old fashion but I like putting two sticks together and crossing them making an X. Now here is the important part.... walk around and the sticks will get closer together or further apart and that is how you know if your getting closer or further....

Leave a comment:

• speedbump
    replied

Unhooking the pump and snaking the pipe is a good idea. Then get out the shovel.

I use a Schoenstadt Locator to find buried wells, but mine cost me $750.00 back in the 70's. I know they are a lot more now.

You could have a well in diameter of 2" thru 6" in most cases. The jet may be a two pipe jet or a single pipe jet. If you want to know more about these, you can view my Helpful Info page. It has pictures and explanations of how these systems work: http://www.pumpsandtanks.com/Helpful-Info/

The seperation of well and septic used to be 25 foot years ago here in Florida, now it's 75'. I would think yours judging from the age, may not meet the minimum requirements for VA/FHA.

Leave a comment:

• BHD
    replied

Originally posted by MikeD1980 View Post
    About 30' from where lines come in to house there is a 2'x2' square cement slab, could this be the well? it is level with the ground.
    It could have been a bird bath base at one time, who knows, what a 2' x2' cement slab is on a 50+ year old property?

It is a possibility, but who knows, is there any round cap in it, or can the slab be lifted and see if any type of pipe is under it, (most likely the well is cased, that is a pipe about 4" to 6" in diameter, that goes into the ground that supports the well, in it will be the two pipes in your situation, that are in the casing), the pipe or casing may have a cap or a old bucket over it, to keep things out).

IF it the cement is in the direct line of the pipe leaving the basement, I would explore it and see if it a possibility, (most codes to day say the well casing needed to extend above the ground level to day to protect from contamination, of water seepage or flooding),

Leave a comment:

• MikeD1980
    replied

About 30' from where lines come in to house there is a 2'x2' square cement slab, could this be the well? it is level with the ground.

Leave a comment:

• BobsPlumbing
    replied

It could be a dug or drilled well. All kinds of things were done way back when.

You have a well that the top is "buried" if you will. Two pipes going from your pump, horizontally through the ground, then vertically into the well.

At the bottom of the pipe run in the well, the two pipes come together at the jet and then to a foot valve.

Dowsing is baloney if someone tells you they can find it accurately that way.

Two ways to find it in my opinion. Look for the pump, get an idea which way the pipes are heading, and you might get lucky to notice a depression in the ground or some other marker.

Or disconnect the suction line, fish an electricians tape through it, and trace it with a locator. More scientific but you also need some luck getting the tape through if they made any turns. And then a person that knows jet pumps to get it back running. So, someone with a locator and pump experience.

I hate finding buried wells.

Good luck.

J.C.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X