Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pump for watering lawn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • pump for watering lawn

    I am thinking add few big barrals to hold rainwater for my lawn. I need a pump to pump water out and spray to the lawn. sometimes the sprayer may be closed when the pump is still on. Regular pump will be burned when this happen? Is there any special pump can be used in this situation? thanks,

  • #2
    Re: pump for watering lawn

    Unless you live on a postage stamp sized yard or plan on watering a small garden I would save my money. To water grass it is suggested (in my area) that you apply 1 " of water once a week. Every 10' square plot of grass would require 62 US gallons of water per week (unless it rains but then you likely don't need to water). A typical front lawn in the city is 20' X 20', that would require 248 Gallons just for that small front yard not to mention the back yard. The size of the container to store the required amount of water quickly becomes impractical

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: pump for watering lawn

      Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
      Unless you live on a postage stamp sized yard or plan on watering a small garden I would save my money. To water grass it is suggested (in my area) that you apply 1 " of water once a week. Every 10' square plot of grass would require 62 US gallons of water per week (unless it rains but then you likely don't need to water). A typical front lawn in the city is 20' X 20', that would require 248 Gallons just for that small front yard not to mention the back yard. The size of the container to store the required amount of water quickly becomes impractical
      if that is the case, my water bill will make me bankrupt.
      with rainwater it will be better than nothing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: pump for watering lawn

        Originally posted by housecarer View Post
        if that is the case, my water bill will make me bankrupt.
        with rainwater it will be better than nothing.

        Have you ever thought about a gray water system that uses the shower/tub drain water and from your sinks and washing machine. It filters the water and reuses it. It's a fairly simple process and cheap way to water a small lawn or garden.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: pump for watering lawn

          Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
          Have you ever thought about a gray water system that uses the shower/tub drain water and from your sinks and washing machine. It filters the water and reuses it. It's a fairly simple process and cheap way to water a small lawn or garden.
          Yes, that is part of my plan. basically, i plan to burry those connected water containers under the ground if possible. rainwater and waste water like you mention will go into there. do you have more details about that system?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: pump for watering lawn

            You'll have thousands in a tank, installing it, and separating the gray water from the san system and piping it to the tank, and piping overflow from the tank back into the san sewer. Probably on the order of ten of them. Might ba a noble effort given the state of water depletion going on, and we all might get there in the next few decades, but I doubt it's going to be cost effective at this time.

            To answer your original question, about any submersible centrifugal pump (and they are pretty much exclusively centrifugal) will be unharmed by a few minutes of running deadheaded, which needn't happen anyway. Set your sprinkler where you want it, turn pump on. Turn pump off, move sprinkler, repeat.

            A bigger concern would be if you pumped your barrel dry and the pump kept running. One with a float on the side will prevent this. But I doubt it's an issue anyway; unless you get one heck of a big catchment basin, you'll pump it down in no time. A 55 gal drum will be pumped out in a few minutes, quick enough you could stand there with a squirter hose while it empties and not get too bored.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

            Comment

            Working...
            X