Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little to no water pressure on 2nd floor

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Little to no water pressure on 2nd floor

    Ok, I'm stumped. I got a call from my sister to replace the water line leading to her icemaker. No big deal, since I put the last one in a few years ago. She kinked the copper line and is replacing the fridge anyway, and the delivery guys tell her to replace the line with plastic.

    So, I head over after work, shut off the main (no other shutoffs between the main and where the icemaker line was attached). Replaced the line within a few minutes, turn the main on, and now, she has water on the 1st floor, but little to no cold water pressure going to the 2nd floor. All I did was shut off the main for about 30 minutes, and turn it back on.

    The icemaker line is a perforation type, so, it doesn't seem to be blocking the water line. I'm stumped.

    The house is early 20th century, and it looks like the pipes could be original to the house if that helps.

    Any suggestions to fix this?

    Thanks,

    Paul

  • #2
    Re: Little to no water pressure on 2nd floor

    Originally posted by Snailman View Post
    Ok, I'm stumped. I got a call from my sister to replace the water line leading to her icemaker. No big deal, since I put the last one in a few years ago. She kinked the copper line and is replacing the fridge anyway, and the delivery guys tell her to replace the line with plastic.

    So, I head over after work, shut off the main (no other shutoffs between the main and where the icemaker line was attached). Replaced the line within a few minutes, turn the main on, and now, she has water on the 1st floor, but little to no cold water pressure going to the 2nd floor. All I did was shut off the main for about 30 minutes, and turn it back on.

    The icemaker line is a perforation type, so, it doesn't seem to be blocking the water line. I'm stumped.

    The house is early 20th century, and it looks like the pipes could be original to the house if that helps.

    Any suggestions to fix this?

    Thanks,

    Paul
    1) Don't use the clear plastic ice maker line. My opinion.

    2) Saddle valve suck. Replace.

    Could be anything related to the second floor pressure if it's multiple fixtures. The main valve could be failing internally and giving the adequate pressure on the first floor and inadequate flow on the second.

    That's IF it's multiple fixtures. If it's just the refrigerator, start with 1 and 2.

    J.C.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Little to no water pressure on 2nd floor

      Thanks JC.

      Water is fine going to the refrigerator, and the kitchen sink. Hot water to the 2nd floor seems ok. Its the cold water pressure that's real low. That's where I'm stumped.

      Paul

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Little to no water pressure on 2nd floor

        Originally posted by Snailman View Post
        Thanks JC.

        Water is fine going to the refrigerator, and the kitchen sink. Hot water to the 2nd floor seems ok. Its the cold water pressure that's real low. That's where I'm stumped.

        Paul
        Do you have an expansion tank on the hot water heater?

        Thanks.

        J.C.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Little to no water pressure on 2nd floor

          I have no idea. I'm not a plumber. I like to say I'm just handy enough to be dangerous. When I shut off the main, I had my sister keep the faucets shut so the lines wouldn't drain out the pin hole from the saddle valve, but while replacing the valve, I did get a quick rush of water thru the pinhole until I got the new valve in place.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Little to no water pressure on 2nd floor

            I was asking because it could give you a false reading for the hotside unless you let it run long enough to deplete the tank. (I think. . Not the sharpest one on here.)

            If you have ok pressure for a good amount of time on the hot side, (5 minutes) then you have a restriction somehow-someway on the cold side. Kind of eliminates the main valve as the cold feeds the water heater.

            Do you have galvanized pipe in the house?

            J.C.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Little to no water pressure on 2nd floor

              I didn't run the hot that long. Only for a couple minutes, but I didn't notice a reduction on the hot side at all. The pipes could be galvanized. There's a dark patina to them, and they're threaded connections (which makes me think gavanized).

              I don't think I'm going to like where this is going...

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Little to no water pressure on 2nd floor

                Originally posted by Snailman View Post
                I didn't run the hot that long. Only for a couple minutes, but I didn't notice a reduction on the hot side at all. The pipes could be galvanized. There's a dark patina to them, and they're threaded connections (which makes me think gavanized).

                I don't think I'm going to like where this is going...
                You may not!

                Let's think positive but prepare for the worst. No secret that galvanized can begin to "close" like a clogged artery. And what can be frustrating is pressure and volume can be ok.....until you turn the water off.

                Turn it back on and pieces or "clinkers" can be released throughout the system clogging valves, showerheads, aerators.

                Keep it simple to start. Clean aerators and showerheads. May not find anything at all since you say you have hot pressure and volume.

                Past that, without knowing your capability, I have to say ask some friends & relatives for a licensed plumber they trust to check things out.

                Good luck.

                J.C.

                Comment

                Working...
                X