Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.5" sweat

Hey Guys,

New to the forum here. I have a large amount of rental property and have been doing the plumbing work myself for some time now. About 4 months ago I replaced a 1.5" Hoffman mixing valve on one of my boilers and I sweat it in. Everything has been holding up great and no leaks.

My question is should I have brazed the piping due to the size and water volume demands? I used sterling solder.

When do I braze as opposed to solder? And I will need different gas than MAP for brazing right?

Thanks!

**EDIT** Sorry I meant to post this in "Ask the Plumber"
    Last edited by Hosh; 05-11-2010, 10:35 AM. Reason: Incorrect area

Re: 1.5" sweat

Solder for your situation was appropriate. I like to "tin" the pipe on
    anything 1.5" and over. Silver solder requires acetylene to get the
    higher temp. About the only time I use it is underground or something
    weird like a t-drill connection (hardly ever, anymore) or HVAC line (which
    I don't do, anyway). The fact that it don't leak says it all.

Comment

Brazing is used on air conditioning & refrigeration. I used to solder 3 & 4" copper. And I used to braze 3 & 4" copper. I used to tin the copper on 3" and up when I solder. when brazing you need oxygen & acetylene for those big pipes.

Comment

Okay thanks guys. Sounds like I will be alright with the solder. It was the biggest pipe I've ever soldered so wanted to make sure that I wasn't supposed to do something different. I vaguely remember someone telling me about brazing and saw brazing rods at home depot so it got me thinking.

What do you mean by "tinning" the pipes?

Comment

Tinning is cleaning, fluxing, heating and applying solder to the end of the pipe
          to be fitted. Completely cover with solder and wipe excess with a dry rag
          so the fitting can be affixed and solder as usual. This method assures even, consistent coverage of the solder in the joint.

Comment

That's interesting, I hadn't heard of that. I'll have to try it for practice soon, thank you.

Out of curiosity, I went and picked up a cutting/brazing torch kit last night and ohhh man is that a big difference! haha.. . Now I need to find something to cut soon.

Comment

Yea you need to practice brazing or you will be cutting thru your copper pipes the same way.

Comment

It is possible to braze with MAPP gas.
                Brazing water pipes is only required when the pipe will be laid under a slab or if you are creating a tee fitting in the pipe wall.
                ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                X