valve needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve needed

I have two water sources available in my studio (well & county H2O) and want to have access to both, but obviously only one at a time. I could simply setup a multi-valve config that allows me to choose one source or the other but such a setup has the potential for someone to accidentally have both source valves open. What I would prefer is a single valve that controls two inputs to one output. I have such a beast for for some of my pneumatic equipment but am unable to find such a control valve for water lines.
    Ideas?

thanks
    tb

Re: valve needed

Not sure if one of those exists pre-built, but you will have to have a backflow assembly on your county water line.

Mick

Comment

your best bet would be to separate the water lines so that the hose bibb's feed off of the well, and the rest feeds off the county, or whatever combination you were looking for. if they lines tie together at all your county will have a fit, It'd actually be considered a high hazard cross connection, and need to be protected by an RPZ. And, that'd be IF your county water dept says thats enough.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

a three port ball valve will allow for the center port to the house and either end to the well and the other end to the city.

the center is always live and the handle position will allow you to chos between the well and the city.

don't know how legal it is, but that's a valve that will do as i stated.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

You cannot connect a private well to any part of a municipal system in N.C.

J.C.

Comment

Nibco T58570W3 3/4 Two Piece Ball Valve
            http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...l-Valve/Detail
            first is part number second is a web to get one
            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

There you go, three port ball valve, make sure to install check valves on both inlets or supplies because you cant allow a well and a municipal supply to cross connect anywhere in the country.
              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                Not here in Michigan either. The DEQ is afraid of the city water contaminating the aquifer.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                  In most places that is true AFAIK.

Federal Reg (Safe Drinking Water Act) I think is where the requirement is.
                  And it is also in most state regulations I would think.
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
                    There you go, three port ball valve, make sure to install check valves on both inlets or supplies because you cant allow a well and a municipal supply to cross connect anywhere in the country.
                    Check valves would not meet code, it would have to be a Backflow device approved by ASSE for the hazard.
                    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Here in Florida You would get Skinned alive for a Stunt like That !

Use your well for Irrigation and washing Vehicles Filling Pools Etc ... NOTHING ELSE !

Comment

This thread is scary.

Sir, you shouldn't connect a potentially hazardous water source with a public water source. Municipal water systems are tested for water safety dozens of times a day to ensure the water is safe to consume for everyone. Your well might be tested once every decade and even that may be more testing than most private wells get.

For you to satisfy whatever goal it is you have you are putting the drinking water at risk for everyone else that is connected.

If your town allows you to connect using an RPZ as protection, and I doubt they would, remember that they need to be certified annually, and rebuilt every five years. It's not cheap to properly own and operate an RPZ

Please consider the safety of your neighbors before you do any cross connecting. Make sure you get a permit and have it inspected, so that if you do create a cross connection your hindquarters is covered liability wise.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

You will have to use an approved backflow preventer for both water supplies. As for the valve you want...make it easy. Get a hydronic 3way zone valve. Honeywell is your best choice up to 1" after that you will need to look at White Rodgers. Now you can have 2 sources in and one source out with no contamination and you will also have a 24v transformer with a simple double throw toggle switch to change your source supply with ease.
                          Kevin

Comment

Working...
                          X