X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam boiler is short cycling

I had the steam boiler replaced in my 100-year old house. The new boiler (Burnham Independence IN5, rated at 140,000BTU) goes through 25 on-off cycles to raise the house temperature 3 degrees. The contractor and the local Burnham distributor rep seem unconcerned. I'm leery of their advice. Does this extreme short-cycling need fixing and, if so, what's the solution? Details: 2-pipe steam system; 10 radiators in 1600 sq ft house; Vaporstat set at 14oz max - 7 oz min. Please advise.

Re: Steam boiler is short cycling

Your in the wrong place. Go to " HVAC DISCUSSION ".

Comment

go to www.heatinghelp.com. ask questions (the wall). thems the steam boys. breid..................

Comment

I need more details on the installation. Altitude of your area. Average temp to maintain in the house and the coldest it gets in your area. But just quickly running numbers without that info., your boiler is twice the size it needs to be and will short cycle. There are solutions but I need a picture of what you have.
        Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
          I need more details on the installation. Altitude of your area. Average temp to maintain in the house and the coldest it gets in your area. But just quickly running numbers without that info., your boiler is twice the size it needs to be and will short cycle. There are solutions but I need a picture of what you have.
          Kevin
          Great to have You aboard Kevin, GO SHARKS ! Kevin
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Boiler is to big by the sounds of it. With steam you size the boiler to the load (radiators) not the house.

Comment

If you are comfortable doing so only...you can block out 1 up to 3 max venturi ports and adjust the btu on a larger scale.

Comment

Venturi ports? Were are there any venturi ports on a steam system?

The boiler is probably way over fired for the house and the only way to be sure is to start counting up and sizing the radiators. The other possibilities are.

Pressure trol pressure set too high ( should be no more than 1/2 lb
                Pressure trol differential set too close.
                Thermostat heat anticipator does not match the burner control amperage
                Thermostat itself is bad
                Plugged or partially plugged wet returns
                Excessive surging ( dirty water )
                Bad or improperly adjusted radiator, or main vents
                Bad thermostatic traps if installed

At any rate, you will need a heating technician that knows his way around steam systems to straighten it out.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  Venturi ports? Were are there any venturi ports on a steam system?.
                  I guess it really depends on the boiler now doesn't it. Here is a pic of the Lennox 299 steam boiler venturis from todays new set. It is laying on its side as we were getting ready to lower it down the steps.

I have a few others that are much older and have a similar setup. Of course this would not apply to a single port jet burner. There the orifice would have to resized and the amount of adjustment depends on the primary air minimum adjustment.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just a difference in terminology. We call those things the burner tubes. Will Lennox let you plug any of them off? I know Weil McLain and HB Smith will not.
                    sigpic

Comment

Sometimes ya just gotta do what works. This is why you need some one who KNOWS what they are doing and also has all the equipment.

The manifold pressure must be recalibrated as you have changed the out flow. There is one manometer and I recommend digital.

You need to verify the combustion fumes back to standards. There is $1200-2000 for a combustion analyser.

I think the tools just exceeded the service call. CALL A PRO

In reality there can be warranty issues per the manufacturer. This is certainly an isssue that should be looked into and discussed with the customer. We are a service company, so we are already married to most of the systems we replace.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        Just a difference in terminology. We call those things the burner tubes. Will Lennox let you plug any of them off? I know Weil McLain and HB Smith will not.
                        I don't think Lennox would approve and that's o.k. That pic was the new 800# boiler getting ready to go down the steps. It is sized correctly for this house and will NOT be having these issues.

Comment

Often times a person that is not use to installing boilers will try to size the boiler. Then they will second guess because they don't know. So they size up the boiler a level. Then someone else rethinks that decision and size up one more time, just to be sure.

The question becomes do you want to adjust it and roll the dice? or Do you want to go through another change out?

As for operation you do need to remove the right ones. I am not going to post this information, as this should only be done by a PRO.

Comment

Working...
                          X